Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start added to 2020 Tradesman (SOLVED)

Cmartini85

Reaction score
Ok just read through all of these pages. I’m confused and want to verify a few things. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 BigHorn 6.7 Cummins. I want to add remote start and the tailgate damper. I am going to order from BAM Wholesale the part #s
68575429AA and 68362518AA. Then I need to have my local dealer add the XBM and program the key? Thank you for the help.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok just read through all of these pages. I’m confused and want to verify a few things. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 BigHorn 6.7 Cummins. I want to add remote start and the tailgate damper. I am going to order from BAM Wholesale the part #s
68575429AA and 68362518AA. Then I need to have my local dealer add the XBM and program the key? Thank you for the help.

If you have the hood switch you just need the following parts to DIY the remote start: (AlfaOBD optional)

Cmartini85

Reaction score
I am having issues with my Uconnect and need to take my truck to the dealer anyways. I figured if I ordered the two parts and had the dealer do it at the same time it would be easier on me. The bypass thing sounds like a headache.

Musclelogic

Reaction score
Just a recap on my findings with my new 2023 Ram 2500 Bighorn that I purchased Monday 12/4.

Figures, truck is optioned with the 12" radio, Alpine speakers and subwoofer, $1600 worth of 20" wheels, but no remote start.

Ordered these key fobs:
1702045904974.png

Installed a 1K OHM 1/2 watt resistor at the connector under the relay center, underhood.

Pulled pin code and programmed two new fobs with JScan, enabled remote start via AlfaOBD.

When enabling remote start, the remote tailgate opening is enabled too.

You need #68362518AA, tailgate strut.

Truck now has operational remote start and remote tailgate, with the soft open and close strut installed.

HCO123

Reaction score
I found the purple with blue stripes wire amd i installed the resistor but Where do you guys ground the resistor? , I'm still confused hope you can help me .. thanks

Musclelogic

Reaction score
I found the purple with blue stripes wire amd i installed the resistor but Where do you guys ground the resistor? , I'm still confused hope you can help me .. thanks

There are two ground lugs with nuts on them and factory grounds 6 inches away on the driver side inner fender.

HCO123

Reaction score
There are two ground lugs with nuts on them and factory grounds 6 inches away on the driver side inner fender.
Oh ok so it grounds to the existing ground , I thought I had to run the wire all the way to bcm .. thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I am having issues with my Uconnect and need to take my truck to the dealer anyways. I figured if I ordered the two parts and had the dealer do it at the same time it would be easier on me. The bypass thing sounds like a headache.

Installing the bypass cable is easy. Pull the headlight switch bezel and the CAN blocks are easily visible and accessible.

If you're never going to do anything else like enable fog light dropout, enable gear indicator, disable the panic button, reprogram tire size or pressure thresholds, etc. and add other DIY sales features the dealer can never install, program a spare FOB, then sure, just pay the dealer.

roybell

Reaction score

Is this the same process for a 2024 Tradesman? Just picked up a new shop truck and was looking into the tailgate dampener when I found I could enable the buttons, and add remote start. Pretty slick.

I'll have to see if it has the hood switch. My '21 Limited has remote start so I assume it will have the switch so I can compare. The KAOdTech Bypass cables are out of stock unless I get the "extended UK/AUS" version. Lastly, will any 2020+ fob work?

Edit: I checked the hood switch and it doesn't look like the Tradesman has it. On my Limited there's a small blue switch by the hood latch mechanism. That's not present on the Tradesman and I assume that's the switch.

Last edited:

feet of lead

Reaction score
So from what I have read, if someone orders the 82215841AD remote start kit, you get the hood latch with the ajar switch., the wire harness and two remotes. However, these remotes do not include the tailgate button. FCA does not offer a kit with the 5 button remote. Another option is to order two of the 5 button remotes and the hood latch. This would require one to fabricate their own harness. Both these options would be Dodge dealer friendly. The economical option would be to buy a $25 hood latch and the aftermarket remotes. Then if there is an issue, the dealer may sabotage your efforts. I have also read that the 2019 models need a dealer to add the key fobs and the 20-24 can be dome from home with the proper software. By the way, I have a 2019 Tradesman.

Cmartini85

Reaction score
I recently followed this advice and it worked perfectly. I ordered one of the eBay fobs and a factory 5 button fob and they both work perfectly. Without any additional doing once I programmed the fob to the truck the tailgate release worked. Couple of clicks and searching in OBD JScan and now I have remote start. Had to drive it to work but someone else in the thread already figured that out for me.

Diputs

Reaction score
I recently followed this advice and it worked perfectly. I ordered one of the eBay fobs and a factory 5 button fob and they both work perfectly. Without any additional doing once I programmed the fob to the truck the tailgate release worked. Couple of clicks and searching in OBD JScan and now I have remote start. Had to drive it to work but someone else in the thread already figured that out for me.
It is odd that once you have the resistor wired in and the settings changed, the remote start won't work until you drive it. It took me a little to figure this out when I did mine. The lights flash but it won't start. Drive it lover 10mph then try again and works fine.

kirk-35

Reaction score
I just finished programming the fob for my ‘24 Tradesman with JScan, local locksmith wanted $150.

No more cold truck in the mornings! Now I just need to order the tailgate damper.

roybell

Reaction score
It is odd that once you have the resistor wired in and the settings changed, the remote start won't work until you drive it. It took me a little to figure this out when I did mine. The lights flash but it won't start. Drive it lover 10mph then try again and works fine.
Just a recap on my findings with my new 2023 Ram 2500 Bighorn that I purchased Monday 12/4.

Figures, truck is optioned with the 12" radio, Alpine speakers and subwoofer, $1600 worth of 20" wheels, but no remote start.

Ordered these key fobs:

Installed a 1K OHM 1/2 watt resistor at the connector under the relay center, underhood.

Pulled pin code and programmed two new fobs with JScan, enabled remote start via AlfaOBD.

When enabling remote start, the remote tailgate opening is enabled too.

You need #68362518AA, tailgate strut.

Truck now has operational remote start and remote tailgate, with the soft open and close strut installed.

Is the existing wiring under hood for the OEM ajar switch? I can buy the latch for $45 which has the ajar switch. Just not sure if the plug is existing for connecting to the ajar switch. Rather not start cutting and soldering resisters on a business vehicle with 200 miles on it. I ordered security bypass, key fobs, tailgate dampener, and just need to figure out the hood switch.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
just look at the hood latch. if you can see a pigtail, then it's already there.

feet of lead

Reaction score
Is the existing wiring under hood for the OEM ajar switch? I can buy the latch for $45 which has the ajar switch. Just not sure if the plug is existing for connecting to the ajar switch. Rather not start cutting and soldering resisters on a business vehicle with 200 miles on it. I ordered security bypass, key fobs, tailgate dampener, and just need to figure out the hood switch.
So if a person wishes to add a hood latch with the ajar switch, there are two options listed for the 2019 Tradesman HD, 68261143AA and 68361149AB. Both are listed as fitting the 2019 Tradesman and both have a switch. 68361150AB is the latch without switch. Which is the correct hood latch part number?

Last edited:

Diputs

Reaction score
Mine did not have the switch. I added a
jumper wire at the plug off the bcm. I did not cut the wire, I just soldered a wire inline and then added the resistor and connected to ground.

roybell

Reaction score
just look at the hood latch. if you can see a pigtail, then it's already there.
Mine did not have the switch. I added a
jumper wire at the plug off the bcm.
I'll have to pull it in the garage tomorrow and pull the plastics to see if there's a pigtail existing. I did not see anything out in the open.

So if a person wishes to add a hood latch with the ajar switch, there are two options listed for the 2019 Tradesman HD, 68261143AA and 68361149AB. Both are listed as fitting the 2019 Tradesman and both have a switch. 68361150AB is the latch without switch.

Sweet, thanks.

feet of lead

Reaction score
Looking at the hood latch with switch for a 2019 Tradesman 2500:
68261143AA - fits 2010 to 2019 all models MSRP $116.00
68361149AB - fits 2019 to 2024 all models MSRP $62.85

Since both are listed as fitting a 2019, what is the difference between the two and are the switch output the same? Looking at pictures they look identical and the pins on the sensor look identical. Are the switch outputs different? Was there an undated BCM requiring a different switch output?

Users who are viewing this thread