Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side steps/Nerf bars, etc.

Andersen24

Reaction score
No they’re on the right way, the Slim RB20’s start off at 5 7/8” wide on the front and taper down to 4 3/4” in the rear. The front bracket on both sides points backwards and the remaining two brackets on both sides point forward.

RamItHome

Reaction score
@RamItHome I posted photos in the “What did you do to your Ram today” thread, but here are some more photos of the Slim RB20’s I installed last night on my PW, and the modification I did to them. When I Initially installed them, I hated the huge gap between the running board and the body. I ended up removing the brackets, cutting out one inch of it (I cut out the inch between the 4 1/2” to 5 1/2” mark measuring from the portion of the bracket the board mounts to), welding it back together and using the 1” piece of steel to reinforce on the backside of the bracket. Painted them up, and reinstalled. All in all it took me about an hour to do the modification and was super easy. I now LOVE how they sit on the truck. It left about a 3/4” gap now compared to an almost 2” gap before.

FIRST INSTALL WITH GAP
View attachment 41583

INCH TO BE CUT OUT
View attachment 41584

FRONT SIDE WELD
View attachment 41586

BACK SIDE WELD, WITH 1” PIECE OF STEEL USED TO REINFORCE BRACKET
View attachment 41587

PAINTED
View attachment 41588

REINSTALLED
View attachment 41589View attachment 41590
Looks awesome with your modified brackets. Thank you for the pictures!

Gkockrow

Reaction score
No they’re on the right way, the Slim RB20’s start off at 5 7/8” wide on the front and taper down to 4 3/4” in the rear. The front bracket on both sides points backwards and the remaining two brackets on both sides point forward.
You are right. Thanks.

RAMBZ

Reaction score
Lookin for some nerf bars that are low profile and hug right to the rocker panel. The only one I've been able to find is the Excalibur boards but there doesn't seem to be many reviews on them or YouTube vids about them. Anyone have any experience with these or know of a nerf bar that is low profile..ish and snugs up to the rocker panel?

hookedup2407

Reaction score
@RamItHome I posted photos in the “What did you do to your Ram today” thread, but here are some more photos of the Slim RB20’s I installed last night on my PW, and the modification I did to them. When I Initially installed them, I hated the huge gap between the running board and the body. I ended up removing the brackets, cutting out one inch of it (I cut out the inch between the 4 1/2” to 5 1/2” mark measuring from the portion of the bracket the board mounts to), welding it back together and using the 1” piece of steel to reinforce on the backside of the bracket. Painted them up, and reinstalled. All in all it took me about an hour to do the modification and was super easy. I now LOVE how they sit on the truck. It left about a 3/4” gap now compared to an almost 2” gap before.

FIRST INSTALL WITH GAP
View attachment 41583

INCH TO BE CUT OUT
View attachment 41584

FRONT SIDE WELD
View attachment 41586

View attachment 41587

PAINTED
View attachment 41588

REINSTALLED
Now that’s how they should come from the factory!! Nice work!.. i was just about to buy a set until i saw that gap!! I don’t weld, nor am i going to take the brackets to a machine shop..looks like I’ll have to move on.. i can’t stand that gap

bmummert26

Reaction score
Lookin for some nerf bars that are low profile and hug right to the rocker panel. The only one I've been able to find is the Excalibur boards but there doesn't seem to be many reviews on them or YouTube vids about them. Anyone have any experience with these or know of a nerf bar that is low profile..ish and snugs up to the rocker panel?
I installed N-FAB Predator Pro Steps. It hugs tight but does include 4 steps that stick off the panel. I wanted something that was low profile but easy fory wife and kids can get in and out easily. Works perfect for my 6 yr old daughter.

Attachments

• 20220731_142548.jpg
    20220731_142548.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220731_142426.jpg
    20220731_142426.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 100

Andersen24

Reaction score
Now that’s how they should come from the factory!! Nice work!.. i was just about to buy a set until i saw that gap!! I don’t weld, nor am i going to take the brackets to a machine shop..looks like I’ll have to move on.. i can’t stand that gap
@hookedup2407 thanks! I ended up sending the same pics to GoRhino so they could possibly offer two different brackets for people that wanted them in tight or the standard. The only response I got was I invalidated my warranty on them :D.

DrTron

Reaction score
@hookedup2407 thanks! I ended up sending the same pics to GoRhino so they could possibly offer two different brackets for people that wanted them in tight or the standard. The only response I got was I invalidated my warranty on them :D.
I guess that was to be expected when cutting and re-welding the brackets. Still a bit disappointing if that was their only response.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Wow!! Just wow!! That’s horrible

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Really having a hard time finding side steps.. lol really want wheel to wheel.. but the few offered are meh.. I’d really like the white knuckle sliders but they are pricey and i won’t wheel my truck enough to justify the expense.. if the RB20 were wheel to wheel I’d snag em.. I’d like to know how far the RB20s stick out.. don’t want wings lol.. but they sit a more flush than the slims from what I’ve seen.. hopefully lol

DrTron

Reaction score
Besides, any real heavy duty slider is going to weigh a ton. Way overpowered for just steps.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Well i just ordered the RB10 with the bedliner finish.. 6” wide.. and flush.. they use the same brackets as the RB20.. i really wanted the slims but from what you posted and what Go-rhino told me: the slims aren’t as flush as their full-size counterparts.. (i really don’t want to be a diva about side steps..) but, without altering the brackets, the slims dropped down too far.. the full-size RB20s looked too wide at 7.5” wide (just my opinion) the RB10s at 6” wide sounded perfect since the slims are 5.5..

Andersen24

Reaction score
Well i just ordered the RB10 with the bedliner finish.. 6” wide.. and flush.. they use the same brackets as the RB20.. i really wanted the slims but from what you posted and what Go-rhino told me: the slims aren’t as flush as their full-size counterparts.. (i really don’t want to be a diva about side steps..) but, without altering the brackets, the slims dropped down too far.. the full-size RB20s looked too wide at 7.5” wide (just my opinion) the RB10s at 6” wide sounded perfect since the slims are 5.5..
OK so from what I can tell the RB10 and the RB20’s are identical other than the pattern cut into the board itself. If you ordered the slim, I would imagine the gap would be the same as what mine was with the RB20 slims. Ironically the whole reason I ordered them was my nextdoor neighbor has a 2021 tradesman with the RB20 wides and there was no gap. So that tells me when you order a slim from GoRhino, the mounting is on the outside of the running board bracket - hence the gap. If you ordered an RB10 standard, you will be fine with the gap. If they have a slim in the RB10 - you will have the same gap as mine unless you take an inch out of the mounting bracket.

DrTron

Reaction score
I got myself the Dominator Extreme D1 steps, which hopefully are snug to the truck as well. I'll see once I actually get the truck ;-)

hookedup2407

Reaction score

FIRST INSTALL WITH GAP
View attachment 41583

INCH TO BE CUT OUT
View attachment 41584

FRONT SIDE WELD
View attachment 41586

View attachment 41587

PAINTED
View attachment 41588

REINSTALLED

Attachments

• 18581C1A-7C03-4D8B-A12A-EFECE1FE5829.jpeg
    18581C1A-7C03-4D8B-A12A-EFECE1FE5829.jpeg
    608.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 7B69337C-25B1-4592-9879-0980A8AFA77E.jpeg
    7B69337C-25B1-4592-9879-0980A8AFA77E.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 146

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Sorry.. had trouble posting.. but i got the standard RB10s installed them today.. look decent.. best part about them is i can access the bed because they extend past the rear door.. pretty flush.. they don’t look like wings either..

Attachments

• 897C6A58-9455-4EB6-B8CE-AE5AA30F54CE.jpeg
    897C6A58-9455-4EB6-B8CE-AE5AA30F54CE.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread