Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround Camera Install on a 2019 2500 Laramie

Atty

Reaction score
I did this a while ago and was going to do up a full thread, but I didn't take too many pics of the install, so I didn't think it worth it. However it seems that more and more people are interested, so here's what I have.

The parts list provided below is for my exact truck model you will need to look for the vin of a truck that is the same as yours but that also has the factory surround view camera. this will then allow you to search through OEM parts dealers for the exact parts you need. you can then compare them against what I have listed here. I couldn't have done the install without Jimmy07's help so firstly thanks @Jimmy07 !! The install works as intended from factory (albeit with your own wiring in a couple of places).

The prices listed were accurate as of mid 2020. It's not a cheap exercise and requires some serious dismantling of your truck. this includes door skins, interior roof (as much as needed to get you arm through for feeding a cable to the CHMSLamp/Camera), attaching into the CANBUS and wiring some power wires (with fine wire) to power up the Central Vision Module.

You will also need a security bypass module/cable, AlfaOBD, and a high quality OBD Bluetooth adaptor.

The skills required aren't particular hard, but it takes some time and patience to do. I reckon I did it in about 2 days (not counting waiting on parts that I didn't know I needed/or getting a better Bluetooth adaptor).

You will need to replace the original rear tailgate reversing camera and the tailgate handle as the new surround camera system uses digital cameras and the mount for the cameras is different.

I did the install in stages but all up I'd say it took about 4-5 hours. Then lots of slow driving to get it to calibrate

I'll put a couple of place holder post below this to talk through as much of the process as I can remember.

@Brutal_HO happy to leave the thread unlocked for the moment, unless you feel it would be better to lock it down for the moment.

Last edited:

Atty

Reaction score
Part NumberDescriptionQuantityIndividual costTotal Cost +taxShippingDiscount if provided
04672644AJCentral vision module1 $ 359.52 $ 359.52
68459117AARAM backing plate for front camera1 $ 42.47 $ 42.47
68386821AAFront camera bracket1 $ 11.57 $ 11.57
68364534AAFront camera bezel1 $ 11.57 $ 11.57
68386822AAFront camera screws2 $ 0.51 $ 1.02
68391346AACOVER-CONTROL MODULE0 $ 10.03 $ -
04672644AICVPM Module Bracket0 $ 359.52 $ -
6506955AASnap in nut2 $ 6.95 $ 13.90
68417514AAFront and rear camera2 $ 144.78 $ 289.56
68361477ACDriver side mirror1 $ 510.40 $ 510.40
68361476ACPassenger side mirror1 $ 499.40 $ 499.40
68367388ABCHMSL with cargo camera1 $ 530.20 $ 530.20 $ 56.12
Cables $ 2,269.61 $ 2,212.25
Amazon16’ fakra z female to female. For front camera to CVPM.1 $ 10.49 $ 10.49 $ 11.46 $ -
10’ fakra z female to female. Two for mirrors to CVPM, one for cargo camera to CVPM, one for CVPM to radio module4 $ 9.49 $ 37.96 $ 41.48 $ -
10’ fakra z male to female. For backup camera to CVPM1 $ 9.49 $ 9.49 $ 10.37 $ - $ 63.31
DigikeyCVPM C1 Connector Shell1 $ 0.87 $ 0.87 $ 0.95 $ 4.99
Digikeyterminals for C1 connector12 $ 0.05 $ 0.65 $ 0.71
DigikeyTerminals for CAN HIS Connector10 $ 0.29 $ 2.89 $ 3.16 $ 9.90
MauserCAN HIS connector1 $ 0.47 $ 0.47 $ 0.51 $ 7.99 $ 8.93
Discount Rate5%
Tailgate Handle Black Crystal (to suit Surround view Camera) 6RN80KXJAA1 $ 73.98 $ 73.98 $ - $ 70.28
Total Cost $ 2,406.41 $ 68.63 $ 69.10 $ 2,364.66

Atty

Reaction score
When wiring up the CVPM you'll need to purchase a specific connector and plug it into the canbus.. This post has that specific detail.

The CVPM gets connected to the radio with only the fakra cable. It plugs into the connector on the radio that the rear view camera is currently plugged into. So, you have 5 camera cables going into the CVPM, and one cable going out to the radio. Then it has this connector plugged into it that supplies power, ground, and can bus-
LS6ShIz.jpg

You’ll get the power (run relay control) by tapping into any one of those three pink/yellow wires in that yellow connector. Ground to any chassis bolt nearby. And CAN IHS goes to the same junction block that you plug those white connectors into for the security bypass cable (behind the headlight switch).

These are the parts for that small harness:

CVPM C1 connector shell- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=34824-0124

Terminals for the CVPM connector shell- https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/5600230448/WM16315CT-ND/6702303

CAN IHS connector- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...6z4YULS%2BBJCiH9ln5rUAcHQ5fUP85DrTD0eioaUpg==

Terminals for CAN IHS connector- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1355717-1/A126703CT-ND/7690341

Pinout of the CAN IHS connector-
5OylgaJ.jpg

This is the block that connector gets plugged into-
Arq8MoD.jpg

Last edited:

Atty

Reaction score
Other than running the Fakra cables throughout the truck (these are your video cameras) I found the hardest part was drilling into the floor pan to install the CVPM.

When you drill the holes make sure you miss the thick section.. I went through 3-4 drill bits trying to get through it (because I didn't miss the thick sections). There are a couple of indents on the floor pan where i drilled, but you could manoeuvre the holes just slightly to miss the thicker section and still make it work.

Running the cables wasn't too hard either, the one for the front camera I ran right next to my aux wiring loom (which I also self installed) which went through the grommet where the clutch cable would go (if it was a manual). The other cable that took a bit of thinking about was the cargo camera cable. I didn't pull the whole roof out though. I just undid one corner and lowered/pulled it enough to feed the cable from the light fixture down to the door sill on the drivers side and then run it forward up to the controller.

Here's the pic of the CVPM installed under the drivers seat. I don't have a pic of it prior to the installation. The violet connector is the output to the radio, and the red connector is the input from the CHMSL camera.

64dd44c9e1e1d67dbb93c53cfd0192e0.jpg

Last edited:

Atty

Reaction score
Once everything is installed you'll need to modify some features in the body control module (@Jimmy07 ,do you mind adding the generic list of changes?).

First thing to check is if the CVPM is online by seeing if you can connect to it with AlfaOBD using the OBD Link MX Bluetooth (I have the MX+ version, I originally had a cheaper version but it wouldn't connect to the CVPM and from what I've heard this is the only unit that seems to work on everything).

Select your vehicle as a Chrysler Pacifica (yes this is correct), and choose radio from the modules list. Then choose CVPM, and see if it will connect.

When conducting the calibration you'll need a large empty carpark or a very quiet road. The calibration requires you to drive slowly and with minimal turns to calibrate the cameras. the front camera took a very long time to calibrate (I think it finally worked on my 20th go). I heard that other people also had similar issues. From memory mine finally worked when I had a slight stop/start in it, not sure if that made the difference or not though.

Last edited:

Atty

Reaction score
The settings required to be modified using AlfaOBD are below:

VehConfig 1: Rear View Camera- NO

VehConfig 2: CHMSL Camera- NO

VehConfig 7: Full Central Vision Processing Present

VehConfig 8: Digital CHMSL Camera Present- YES

VehConfig 8: Trailer Reverse Guidance- YES

ECUConfig 3: Rear Camera Present- NO

Radio & Connectivity: Rearview Camera Zoom Buttons Present- YES

Radio & Connectivity: Surround View Camera On/Off Softkey Present- YES

CustSetMenu 1: Rear View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- NOT PRESENT

CustSetMenu 1: Rear Camera CSM Present- NO

CustSetMenu 2: Rear View Camera Delay CSM Present- NO

CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- YES

CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Delay CSM Present- YES

CustSetMenu 3: CHMSL Dynamic Centerline Enable/Disable CSM Present- YES

Cabin Net: CVPM Central vision processing- ENABLE

On a side note, the AlfaOBD developer is still working on the cargo camera calibration, which is why the cargo view center line with adjustment doesn’t show up.
Also, he added the calibration procedure to the Ram radio modules list, so no need to use the Pacifica vehicle as a selection anymore.

The CHMSL with cargo camera has dropped to about $350, but another alternative, can be to use CHMSL with both cargo and rear view mirror cameras, which is $270- 68465998AA

In regards to the front camera and the fact the grill is in the way, I didn't have to worry about that as I have a bulbar on the front and have mounted my new RAM emblem and camera onto that. I've heard that some people have potentially dremmelled it or also bought the correct grill that has the cut out ready to go.

Last edited:

jabartram

Reaction score
im trying to add just the front camera. will i still need the central vision module?

Atty

Reaction score
im trying to add just the front camera. will i still need the central vision module?
Yes, i believe so, as that is what converts the signal for the radio unit to recognise it and display the image etc. .

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Therapy

Reaction score
Thanks for this guide, it was very thorough. But due to the cost, I think I'd like to just add the Cargo camera in the 3rd brake light position.

From reading your guide here, I think I'd need:

art NumberDescriptionQuantityIndividual costTotal Cost
04672644AJCentral vision module1$ 359.52
68391346AACOVER-CONTROL MODULE0$ 10.03
04672644AICVPM Module Bracket0$ 359.52
68417514AAFront and rear camera2$ 144.78
68367388ABCHMSL with cargo camera1$ 530.20
Cables
10’ fakra z female to female. one for cargo camera to CVPM, one for CVPM to radio module2$ 9.49
10’ fakra z male to female. For backup camera to CVPM1$ 9.49

I think what you're saying is since the cargo camera and tailgate camera are digital cameras, I'd need to replace both of them, run them both to the CVM, then run that to the radio module. Is that right?

Atty

Reaction score
Hi @Therapy, sorry for the delayed reply I needed to wait until I checked your message on my computer as the table doesn't display through the tapatalk app.
The second and third items in your table aren't required as they actually come with the CVPM (Central Vision Module) which is why they showed as 0 in the Quantity column. and you'll only need one of the front/rear cameras not two, as the CHMSL already has the camera included with it.
You'll also need the following (or the equivalent colored tailgate handle for your truck), the below table (and my above table) have links to the specific parts:
DigikeyCVPM C1 Connector Shell1$ 0.87$ 0.87$ 0.95$ 4.99
Digikeyterminals for C1 connector12$ 0.05$ 0.65$ 0.71
DigikeyTerminals for CAN HIS Connector10$ 0.29$ 2.89$ 3.16$ 9.90
MauserCAN HIS connector1$ 0.47$ 0.47$ 0.51$ 7.99$ 8.93
Discount Rate5%
Tailgate Handle Black Crystal (to suit Surround view Camera) 6RN80KXJAA1$ 73.98$ 73.98$ -$ 70.28

The terminals and connectors are required to connect/install the CVPM into the CANBUS. The terminals that go into the connectors are quite finicky so I bought a few extra as they only cost a few cents each and gave me some redundancy if I had a dodgy crimp etc. .

Hope that helps.

JDison

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the BCM changes this weekend and have a question. I have a 2109 2500, when I pull up the Body Computer setting for a MY2019 there is no VehConfig 8. Goes straight from VehConfig 7 to ECU settings. Assuming I need to use the MY2020 in order to access the VehConfig 8 settings. Just wanted to clarify before going any further.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the BCM changes this weekend and have a question. I have a 2109 2500, when I pull up the Body Computer setting for a MY2019 there is no VehConfig 8. Goes straight from VehConfig 7 to ECU settings. Assuming I need to use the MY2020 in order to access the VehConfig 8 settings. Just wanted to clarify before going any further.
You are correct, most of the time when I'm doing mods now i automatically just use a 2021 BCM in Alfaobd so I know all the settings i could possibly need will be there.

Phil T

Reaction score
Ok, weird thought. Since this was a successful install, what would stop us from using the same kit to install a trailer 360 setup. I can think of a few things like only being able to have one or the other active at a time, but as long as the signals get to the Uconnect, it should work.

I'm just speculating, but @Jimmy07 is probably the expert to rule on the idea.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ok, weird thought. Since this was a successful install, what would stop us from using the same kit to install a trailer 360 setup. I can think of a few things like only being able to have one or the other active at a time, but as long as the signals get to the Uconnect, it should work.

I'm just speculating, but @Jimmy07 is probably the expert to rule on the idea.

You probably could do something like that with a input switch, but I don't know if the CVPM for the truck would be able to stitch the image together for a long trailer, also every time you switch between truck & trailer you'd have to run a calibration to get the image right.

St.Pete Ron

Reaction score
Great write up! I have a 2020 2500 Laramie, so I would need the mirror cameras and the front grill as I have the cargo and tailgate cam already.

01Time

Reaction score
Great write up! I have a 2020 2500 Laramie, so I would need the mirror cameras and the front grill as I have the cargo and tailgate cam already.
The surround view system uses different cargo and rear cameras than non-surround view systems. So unfortunately, you'd have to replace them with the correct cameras.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
I did this upgrade with the 8.4 screen. Same install.
Would it be possible to see some pics of the interface on the 8.4 screen?

This wasn't an option on the '22 I ordered, seriously considering, doing this once it gets delivered.

is it similar to this, on a bigger screen?

Users who are viewing this thread