Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension upgrade

Soapy

Reaction score
I have a 2022 PW used for overlanding. I have been conscious of how much weight is added with each step. With Rack, RTT and all other in bed add ons I am at less than 650lbs. I should have no problem staying within payload range. I have noticed the famous rear end wag more with the added weight so I am looking to cure that issue. The ride is still acceptable to me overall. I do not want to raise the truck and all the aftermarket systems seem to all want to do that. I am looking at going with front and rear Thuren track bars as most research seems to say this is the fix for the wag. I also found Bilstein 5160s made for the stack Power Wagons that I plan on installing to. I think for now this will be the extent of suspension upgrades. I am a firm believer in Bilstein shocks since I have them on several other vehicles. You just do not hear much about the 5160 shocks but they look like they could be the ones that Carli labels as their shock with special valving.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that Icon is the manufacturer of the Carli Label 2.0 shocks

Soapy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the shock Mfg. Carli says it is switching shocks on their backcountry package away from FOX but not sure to what brand.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Rear Trackbar definitely flattens the curve for the wag

Enough shock/rear tire pressure also have an affect in my experience. I’d always bump rear tire pressure about 5psi when I had the RTT on vs off. Tired and/or small shocks let the movement happen easier than the bigger shocks.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the shock Mfg. Carli says it is switching shocks on their backcountry package away from FOX but not sure to what brand.
According to the guys at CJC, Carli is switching to King shocks for the Backcountry system. The PW systems have not made that move yet though.

Also, what air pressure are you running? I used to get the rear end wag until I got my tire pressure dialed in better.

Soapy

Reaction score
I move my air pressure around but notice more wag at lower pressures. Off roading I am down around 40 psi. It is strange that to get the TPMS light to go off you have to take the front pressure to above 60 while the rears have to be above 65. Then the TPMS light won't come back on until you are 55/60. I don't mind driving with the TPMS light on with tires at lower pressures but I do find I get better mpg at the higher pressures.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Higher pressures will help with the wag on pavement. I run 48psi up front and 41psi in the rear. When crawling offroad, I run 14psi. For "overlanding" offroad I stay at 20psi.

ppine

Reaction score
Can someone please describe where one goes "overlanding" in North America?
I live in Nevada. The state is 87% public land. We have dirt roads running in all directions but I have never met an overlander.
Thank you.

Soapy

Reaction score
My last overland adventure in Nevada started out in The Gold Butte area by Mesquite and ended up going to the Grand Canyon in the Whitmore wash of the Arizona strip. In Nevada you are never very far from off roading opportunities. Of roading, overlanding camping it is all really the same thing.

Etoimos

Reaction score
I live in Nevada. The state is 87% public land. We have dirt roads running in all directions but I have never met an overlander.
Thank you.
Slightly off topic for this thread, but it will depend on your definition of overlanding. Here are two of my overlanding trips; 8 days in Death Valley and 12 days doing the "Great Wester Loop" (CO, WY, MT, ID, OR, UT, NV).

Soapy

Reaction score
Suspensionlifts.com has a great deal now on all four Bilstein 5160 remote shocks for the Power Wagon at $1079. Normally the rears alone are $540 each. My set has shipped out and should be here next week.

Hooligan

Reaction score
Thank you.
It’s just a new-age term for camping. In Nevada, you can probably camp anywhere with all that public land.

Users who are viewing this thread