Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thuren front leveling coils and payload/towing capacity

anderson0172

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the Thuren 2" leveling coils on the front of my 2020 2500. Does this affect the overall payload capacity or towing capacity? I bumper pull between 8-8500k with a wdh now and plan on upgrading to a 5th wheel in the next few years and don't want to lose any capacity. I was also thinking of possibly doing a 1" spacer on the rear coils to keep a little rake to help keep it level with a trailer attached

Farmtruck

Reaction score
The fronts should not affect capacity at all.
I had them in my 16 3500 and loved them, towed heavy many times with them as well and zero complaints.

anderson0172

Reaction score
The fronts should not affect capacity at all.
I had them in my 16 3500 and loved them, towed heavy many times with them as well and zero complaints.
Did you do anything with the rear to keep it from squatting while towing? I'm thinking of 1" spacers or possibly Timbrens

Bob_ag

Reaction score
Curious what the ride is like with just the front thuren coils and stock coils in the rear? Let’s say Fox shocks all the way around. Seems weird to me to only do the fronts but seems like you lose payload with the rear coils which seems even more pointless on a HD truck.

anderson0172

Reaction score
Curious what the ride is like with just the front thuren coils and stock coils in the rear? Let’s say Fox shocks all the way around. Seems weird to me to only do the fronts but seems like you lose payload with the rear coils which seems even more pointless on a HD truck.
Yes, I think I'm going to go with the 2"coils in the front and Fox shocks all the way around. If the rear squats too much while towing then I may add a 1" spacer or Timbrens or Air bags, we'll see.

Farmtruck

Reaction score
I did install a +1” block in the back, but mine was a 3500 with leafs...

I had a 2500 coil spring truck but I never messed with the suspension short of bilstien shocks,

Bob_ag

Reaction score
Yes, I think I'm going to go with the 2"coils in the front and Fox shocks all the way around. If the rear squats too much while towing then I may add a 1" spacer or Timbrens or Air bags, we'll see.
Well definitely let us know. Are you diesel or gas?

massram

Reaction score
I just did the 2 thuren with fox all around. Ride is def more controlled, tad softer in front. It sits with a 1 inch rake if you measure it but to the naked eye the front def looks higher. I will be adding a 1 inch rear spacer for sure... esp for towing.
Gas 2019 crew cab

anderson0172

Reaction score
I just did the 2 thuren with fox all around. Ride is def more controlled, tad softer in front. It sits with a 1 inch rake if you measure it but to the naked eye the front def looks higher. I will be adding a 1 inch rear spacer for sure... esp for towing.
Gas 2019 crew cab
Thanks, I'll definitely add the spacer in the rear

Bob_ag

Reaction score
Gas 2019 crew cab
Cool thanks. Any pics?

Razzman

Reaction score
I also have the Thuren front coils coming next week. Only did 1", cuts the rake down to 1 1/2" and I tow regularly. Also added their sway bar and Fox shocks all the way around.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I also have the Thuren front coils coming next week. Only did 1", cuts the rake down to 1 1/2" and I tow regularly. Also added their sway bar and Fox shocks all the way around.
That sounds about perfect. I have the 2500 Hemi and the least amount of lift they offer for it is 2"

Razzman

Reaction score
Yeah my current numbers center of hub to fender are 24 1/2" F & 27" R. Dropped the trailer on the hitch and it dropped 1 1/2" so this will be level after install, after adjusting the weight distribution hitch it should gain 3/4" to an inch or so in the rear.

Motoman501

Reaction score
On my 2015 Cummins I added Thuren 2" coils which were way softer feeling than stock. When I hooked up my 8000lb travel trailer it squatted very noticeably and it drove me crazy so I added airbags which fixed it. In all honesty with the Thurens on the front and stock rear it felt a little unbalanced.

Razzman

Reaction score
I hope to install my Thuren suspension this weekend weather permitting. I'll run the fronts and shocks and see how it feels and if unhappy I'll add rear coils and bags as well. Chris at Thuren advised against it though, said it would mess up the ride, suggested Sumo Springs. Not sure how that would deal with the squat but then i'm not familiar with them.

Motoman501

Reaction score
I almost immediately put the airbags on so it's possible they helped with the unbalanced feeling. I thought about Sumos but the truck has to squat to engage them so if you are leveled the rear will be squatting when they are working.

Just for info I was using the Thuren shocks on the front, not higher end models.

Razzman

Reaction score
I'm installing the Fox 2.0 IFP all the way around. We'll see what happens once installed.

Users who are viewing this thread