Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a Tune Up

Doogie

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Ram Owners,

Early this year I purchased a 2003 Ram SLT 2500 4x4 2 door standard cab with a 5.7 Hemi. The truck was in excellent condition (for New Hampshire) except for the bed which had wheel well rot. Here is what I have done so far: Repaired the rot with new metal, New shocks, steering stabilizer shock, front u-joints, front brakes and tires. I eventually need to replace the heater core, not looking forward to that one.

Here is where I need some help. While I can tackle the work mentioned above, I am at a loss when it comes to the engine. I have no maintenance records for the truck and it is in dyer need of a tune up. The truck has 175,000 miles and everything under the hood, with the exception of the spark plug wires which were replaced right before I bought the truck, looks original. I am not an engine guy so when I search for information I am a bit overwhelmed with what I have read online and I am more confused on what should be replaced and what type or manufacturer I should use to do the tune up.

I pulled a couple spark plugs and they are rough and worn. The coil packs are corroded and starting to fall apart. There so many options for these when I look online I have no idea if I am buying crap or good parts.

Any suggestions on a good ignition tune up kit? What else should I be looking to replace while I am in there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

flan

Reaction score
Go through the air filter, serpentine belt, plugs, brake fluid, PS fluid, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, front and rear axle fluid, fuel filter if it has one, radiator fluid, thermostat, cabin filter, blinker fluid (JK on that one), Load test the battery. It’s gonna be a lot up front but with no records I wouldn’t be comfortable with guessing someone has already done it. At least you will be starting fresh and can then get on a normal schedule if you decide to keep it.

Doogie

Reaction score
Go through the air filter, serpentine belt, plugs, brake fluid, PS fluid, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, front and rear axle fluid, fuel filter if it has one, radiator fluid, thermostat, cabin filter, blinker fluid (JK on that one), Load test the battery. It’s gonna be a lot up front but with no records I wouldn’t be comfortable with guessing someone has already done it. At least you will be starting fresh and can then get on a normal schedule if you decide to keep it.
Thank you for the response. It is a lot to go through but the truck is well worth. I need to replace the plugs and coil packs also. From what I have read it is best to stick with OEM coils packs and copper sparkplug. But still doing some reading for more info on that.

flan

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. It is a lot to go through but the truck is well worth. I need to replace the plugs and coil packs also. From what I have read it is best to stick with OEM coils packs and copper sparkplug. But still doing some reading for more info on that.
Oem is pretty good quality. Any of the chain auto parts stores are a crap shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread