Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Toolboxes

Razzman

Reaction score
Posting this as it might help someone else out. I always carry tools when traveling and towing, needed them many times for various reasons. I keep an air inflator, cordless drill pack and a few other things in the Ramboxes but there's not enough room for a bunch of tools so I've been carrying a tool bag which isn't the best solution. Since I have a Retrax PowerTrax tonneau I decided to find a solution for the dead space under the tonneau can. Had about 9" vertical to work with but the can drains were right in the way, so I modified them to route 90 degrees to the sides and re-routed the hoses. Picked up a couple of Rigid Pro Organizer waterproof modular toolboxes @ 22x13.8x6.5", these worked perfect as I actually only had about 7.5" from the drains.

I had re-purposed my BedMat from the 1500 but since it is for 5'7" bed it's a bit short up front. this worked to my advantage as once I placed the toolboxes under the can I marked around the boxes on the carpet and then cut it out. The boxes drop into the cutout perfectly and cannot move around and they don't protrude past the can. Overall a win for me and resolves an issue that always bugged me, and I can carry a lot more diverse selection of tools with being in the way of the other stuff we carry.

Rigid boxes1.jpg
Rigid boxes2.jpg

Godzilla

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of an old post, but I am looking at a RetraxPro for my 2022 3500 CC. Like this idea a lot. what parts did you use to 90 those drain tubes off and did you run them out the drain ports in The front of the bed? have you ever has any issues with the cover itself? Don’t know that I’ll drop the extra 7 bills (I think) for the power opener though.

Razzman

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of an old post, but I am looking at a RetraxPro for my 2022 3500 CC. Like this idea a lot. what parts did you use to 90 those drain tubes off and did you run them out the drain ports in The front of the bed? have you ever has any issues with the cover itself? Don’t know that I’ll drop the extra 7 bills (I think) for the power opener though.
I didn't actually remove the existing drains. I found some 90 degree elbows that were real close to the Retrax drain tube INNER diameter. Using a file i removed just enough so that it goes up into the Retrax tube with a bit of effort. I drilled a couple of holes into the plastic bed plugs at the front and ran the clear tubing through. I did add another elbow and tubing so they dump straight down. Worked perfect and no leaks. I haven't had any issues with the cover, this being my second Retrax. Had the RetraxPro MX on my 2017 and the PowerTrax here since it's a chore to reach anything with the Ramboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread