Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing gain & brake

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Have never had before. Any back of the napkin math on the gain? Trailer is 7k pound toy hauler. How know how much gain to start with? I think my gain is 2.5 from factory.

and I’m guessing trailer brake is mostly used to calm hauler down if gets a healthy side gust of wind (or 18 wheeler)?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Trailer brake will help stop the entire rig. I set my gain so that the trailer brakes will slow my truck at 25MPH. I hook up, drive down the street and hit the trailer brakes, if I feel it slow my truck it is good. If it locks the trailer wheels, it is too much. you can adjust up or down to suit you.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Trailer brake will help stop the entire rig. I set my gain so that the trailer brakes will slow my truck at 25MPH. I hook up, drive down the street and hit the trailer brakes, if I feel it slow my truck it is good. If it locks the trailer wheels, it is too much. you can adjust up or down to suit you.
I use the highest setting with out locking the wheels up going 50 mph, then i bump it down another 0.5 gain. Get up to speed and grab the brake controller and have your passenger look for tire smoke. Sometimes its easier to start high and drop it low. That way brakes are nice and warm and dialed in.

16k Fifth wheel, Heavy elect over Hydro, +7 gain

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Gain is not someing you can preset gotta hook up the trailer and do some tests i usually start low and hit the trailer brakes going 50kmph when i can feel it pull i bump the gain up another .5 and thats where it sits i have to set mine often as my loads change with my dump trailer and flat deck, set them both to heavy electric my camper is set at heavy electric and sits at 5.5 for best use when the brakes are adjusted properly

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My trailer brakes grab much harder when they’re hot, so I end up turning them down once I get down the road a ways

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Every trailer is different. The manual actually gives you a solid way to adjust it. It's easy. Basically go 20mph. And manually stab the controller to full. If they lock up back it down until they don't. Should put you where you need to be +/- 1. If you feel the trailer slowing the truck down just back it down one until it's even.

Good rule of thumb is light electric for under 10k. Heavy for over. That said. My fifth wheel prefers light electric

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Every trailer is different. The manual actually gives you a solid way to adjust it. It's easy. Basically go 20mph. And manually stab the controller to full. If they lock up back it down until they don't. Should put you where you need to be +/- 1. If you feel the trailer slowing the truck down just back it down one until it's even.

Good rule of thumb is light electric for under 10k. Heavy for over. That said. My fifth wheel prefers light electric

Yes, every trailer is different. My 12K GVWR 2018 runs well on just 3-5 to 4.5 heavy electric depending on city vs highway.

Some have reported not being able to lock up trailer tires on heavier trailers due to a reported voltage reduction when going under 30MPH.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Glad I asked, lots of interesting info. Will put on to do list next weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread