Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission dipstick

drsfarrier

Reaction score
I have 2021 2500 6.7 and curious why transmission dipstick is so short? Did they put that in as part of recall from them leaking and fluid catching fire?

Bigtuna

Reaction score
Upon taking my new rig home I learned the same thing. "How can I check the fluid with such a short dip stick" I asked myself. After that I returned to the dealership and made them give me the old one. They did not want to at first but I didn't back down and eventually they gave me a dip stick. I only use the old recalled dip stick to check the fluid and do not drive around with it installed.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I was out of town when I discovered the “shorty” and went to a different dealer and bought one of the original dipsticks that it came with. Only had to add a quart and a half of fluid to get it up to the full mark hot. After about 4 months of arguing with the selling dealer, I made a call to Chrysler Customer Care and they directed me to a different dealer who installed the long locking dipstick, no questions asked, and signed me up for the Y43 recall which they performed in January of this year. I told the service manager at the new dealer I wasn’t comfortable having to come to them since I didn’t buy my truck from them and he said it wasn’t a problem for them.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
i saw mine was super short the other day, ordered one and comes in tomorrow. pretty stupid. reason 32 why i dont go to dealers for anything.

Your dealer would have given you one for free thou.

Did you order the locking long one? Or the original long one?

I agree the dealership is a place to avoid, but sometimes you can save some cash having them fix the issue.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Your dealer would have given you one for free thou.

Did you order the locking long one? Or the original long one?

I agree the dealership is a place to avoid, but sometimes you can save some cash having them fix the issue.

nah just ordered it. got the locking one like that is on there. i honestly just cannot stomach setting foot in there for anything. sadly ill prob be going in this week to get a gasket for the pan on the 68rfe and some atf

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
nah just ordered it. got the locking one like that is on there. i honestly just cannot stomach setting foot in there for anything. sadly ill prob be going in this week to get a gasket for the pan on the 68rfe and some atf

You can order that stuff online too. The dealership is the last place I would buy ATF.

Resilient

Reaction score
I have 2021 2500 6.7 and curious why transmission dipstick is so short? Did they put that in as part of recall from them leaking and fluid catching fire?
I just received on on May 8th. Give your local dealer a call and see if they have the updated full length locking dipstick in stock. My local dealer had plenty of parts for the three current recalls on my 2022. The normal length locking dipstick was included in the Y43 Recall.

RichM752

Reaction score
I removed my original dipstick before going to dealer for recall. Nobody said anything, and I have the real dipstick hanging on a nail in the barn for easy acess when I need it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I removed my original dipstick before going to dealer for recall. Nobody said anything, and I have the real dipstick hanging on a nail in the barn for easy acess when I need it.
I have my original long non locking dipstick hanging on a nail in my shop. It rode under the back seat in the truck until I got the long locking one.

oledirteh

Reaction score
You can order that stuff online too. The dealership is the last place I would buy ATF.

My buddy recommended me a shop over the weekend and followed up with them yesterday on the way home from work and with nothing provided they will do my fluid change, new filters, gasket ect for 275. I dont know how they do it for that, but i already have the filters and also the filter adapter thing to replace the plastic one. along with pulling apart my ats bypass and cleaning up the lines for less then 275.

pretty sweet. and no mess on my shop floor

Users who are viewing this thread