Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Wifey wants the Wifey gets....but i need help

new2rams

Reaction score
On the topic of tire width for the OEM alcoas, I'll share what I learned from a few months ago going through this same question.

It seems that basically every manufacture recommends a minimum of 8" wheel on a 35-37" tire that is 12.5 wide. There may be some outliers higher or lower you can find, but the main players I looked at were all at 8" I believe. I'm pretty sure the factory Alcoas are 6" wide, if not they are 6.5" (double check this, I am struggling to recall the specifics right now). So you're obviously not within the tire manufactures bounds. That right there is enough to cause some people to shy away from it, since a lot of folks are rule followers and want to just stay in the lines, which is fine, it's just not me. I want to know why (and break the rules a little, because why not?).

So I was digging up some of the reasoning, and without getting too deep, what I found is generally the following:
  • Too wire a tire on too narrow a wheel can cause the tire to flex/roll during high speed cornering
  • Too wide a tire on too narrow a wheel means that you have less contact patch if running the recommended pressures or…
  • Too low pressure to get a proper contact patch
  • Probably a fair amount of safety built in, along with lawyercats and ease for the business
So, with that said, I still ended up going with 35/12.5/17s on my factory Alcoas. Why? Well for one I absolutely love the look. Hell if I could get a 37" spare in the OEM spot I'd have run that probably. (I'll also point out that I got a truck with 4.10s exactly because I wanted to run 35/37s)

For two, because there are so, so, so many guys running these exact setups, and you never hear about any issues towing heavy. No blowouts, no bead issues, nothing. While that isn't a very scientific reason, it's also just good to see (or not see, haha).

I'm not worried about high speed cornering "control" because the truck is a tow pig, and I'm not attacking corners Laguna Seca. I've slightly lowered the tire pressure to give myself a good tire contact patch. Also, the OEM tires have a load index of 117 (2833 lbs) while the tires I went with have a load index of 121 (3197 lbs). Both are at max psi. So I figure that I'm 360 lbs more weight rating per tire, across 4 rear tires, gives me almost 1500lbs more carrying capacity (just from tires). So even if I bring the psi down lower than max, I'm still going to have some built in overhead to do so.

Lastly, lawyers voices matter, as do business expenses. Toyo can save money by not doing testing, or load tables for across additional wheel width. It's probably almost nothing in cost per tire size, but across all the tires in all the sizes it adds up. And the most important factor being lawyers. There needs to be a large overhead for safety margin, and while I don't know exactly why, I'm sure this cuts into that overhead some. Enough for me to be at all concerned? No, absolutely not. For you? Idk, maybe? Maybe not? A lot of people are afraid of j-walking because it's technically illegal, so, ya know.

CJC has done a lot of duallys at this point with 12.5 wides on the factory Alcoas. I've seen them posted all over, some guys towing heavy and often. Then there are similar things going on over in Ford and Bowtie land. All that adds up to me not being worried.

I'll also state, that I've got a hint of rebel, but I'm not stupid, and I'm not going to endanger my family by making stupid moves. I purchased the max tow ram, which is way overkill for my 20k camper, because I wanted a lot of overhead. In part, so that I could make sure that stupid decisions still left me with margins of safety. That's also partly why I went with the tire size, so that with the lower psi and stiffer sideway it would have similar performance to oem.

This ended up being a lot longer winded than I planned on, but hopefully it's at least somewhat helpful, if not forgive my ramblings and please share pics once everything is wrapped!
This is all really good information and thankks for sharing your train of thought to get you your setup. My skillset / knowledge is quite below the norm i'd have to say in regards to all things related to lifting trucks and tires and such. That's when you seek help (which is why i came to this forum). And just like you shared with very credible companies like CJC posting on their youtube channel a lift they did with stock wheels and 12.5" wide tires on them, I have to receive this info as an indicator it's okay to do. And I love the look..And most importantly, those wheels are already paid for. So, we are definately going stock wheels for the first set of tires at the least.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I don't know about the new ones, wouldn't be surprised if they aren't made by Alcoa, cost cutting ya know. I do know my 2014 are Alcoa, thats where my focus was.
They're Chinesium on my '22. I'd be shocked if they've switched back. No way they're giving up that savings.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The 2" spacer out back is going to make the outside dually tire stick out past the fender. Me personally, I can't stand that look.

Otherwise, sounds like a solid set up! The Carli stuff rides nice.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2" spacer out back is going to make the outside dually tire stick out past the fender. Me personally, I can't stand that look.

Otherwise, sounds like a solid set up! The Carli stuff rides nice.

Not a big Nitto fan, but they do make a 37x11.50R17 that would be awfully appealing if I wanted 37's on my DRW without a 2" spacer.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Not a big Nitto fan, but they do make a 37x11.50R17 that would be awfully appealing if I wanted 37's on my DRW without a 2" spacer.

There is a member on here with those exact tires and it looks AMAZING. Would bang, for sure.

Richard9a

Reaction score
Do you have to lift the DRW and in order to run those Nittos with the factory black aluminum wheels without the 2" spacers? Love the wider tire look but don't like to see the tires sticking outside the fenders far enough to be throwing gravel and such at my fenders or 5th wheel. Also would have to decide if a lift is needed then weigh the difference if I'd I'd also have to flip the axels springs to the top or leave them under the accelerate to keep my level riding 5th wheel. Don't want the nose of it to be too high.

new2rams

Reaction score
Well, just an update. The truck delivered two days ago. Our initial opinions are mostly high. I’m struggling to adapt to the lack of “oomf” when stepping on the pedal compared to my fords. However, it’s her truck so it’s not something I really need to concern myself about, coupled with it just being a different driving experience and something I can easily adapt to. The overall build and quality feel very nice. Even the stock stereo seems top quality.
The Carli 3.25” with reservoir shocks and 37” Toyo’s are also ordered. I was talked into some R/T (not the normal ones). I guess they are a little more aggressive looking than regular and not an m/t.
Either way, she’s excited for the truck to be “completed” and have it sitting the way she likes it. I’m happy it generally is a super nice truck. I’m truly excited to get to experience and have more time with this brand. They sure are pretty trucks.
Oh…and they are using a 2” spacer between the rear tires fyi.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
These aren't drag racing trucks. The Ford and GM have always been a little quicker running empty.

Some of that could also be the laggy drive by wire (DBW) which can be remedied easily (without a tune) by running a Banks (eek!) Pedal Commander.

The Banks really just simulates you pushing the pedal FASTER and HARDER with less actual input from your foot. It's like putting a performance trigger on a rifle.

Enve46

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice build you have coming along. Eager to see the results. Not sure which RTs you’re getting but I wasn’t to pleased with Toyos in the rain but that was in a light ended Gladiator and sounds like this thing will always have weight on the rear so it should be better for you.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Not sure if you are already committed to those tires but you should check out the Falkan Wildpeak A/T3W. They are amazing wet traction tires. Attached is a good article published by Carli on tires and how they affect the ride quality. Falkan Wildpeaks are now E rated

UglyViking

Reaction score
@new2rams as @Brutal_HO mentioned, the Ford and GM will outrun an empty Cummins all day every day. That comes down to V8 vs I6. That said, two things to consider. #1 the truck will def get more peppy after it's broken in. Break in takes a while, but you'll def notice it breaking in and getting a bit more peppy. #2 is that you can change the feel of that by either a throttle "booster" (Banks, Edge, and Stealth all make a version), or by going full tune. You'll also get used to it in time. Congrats on the new truck, snap some pics when shes sitting pretty.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Well, just an update. The truck delivered two days ago. Our initial opinions are mostly high. I’m struggling to adapt to the lack of “oomf” when stepping on the pedal compared to my fords. However, it’s her truck so it’s not something I really need to concern myself about, coupled with it just being a different driving experience and something I can easily adapt to. The overall build and quality feel very nice. Even the stock stereo seems top quality.
The Carli 3.25” with reservoir shocks and 37” Toyo’s are also ordered. I was talked into some R/T (not the normal ones). I guess they are a little more aggressive looking than regular and not an m/t.
Either way, she’s excited for the truck to be “completed” and have it sitting the way she likes it. I’m happy it generally is a super nice truck. I’m truly excited to get to experience and have more time with this brand. They sure are pretty trucks.
Oh…and they are using a 2” spacer between the rear tires fyi.

So you stuck a 37x12.5x20 on the stock OEM wheels??

Oh lord.....

sstoner911

Reaction score

The only way not use a spacer on that size of a tire is to get aftermarket wheels.... 8 in wide wheel.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The only way not use a spacer on that size of a tire is to get aftermarket wheels.... 8 in wide wheel.

Yes, I was referring to a 2” spacer. Some spacer will have to be used.

new2rams

Reaction score
These aren't drag racing trucks. The Ford and GM have always been a little quicker running empty.

Some of that could also be the laggy drive by wire (DBW) which can be remedied easily (without a tune) by running a Banks (eek!) Pedal Commander.

The Banks really just simulates you pushing the pedal FASTER and HARDER with less actual input from your foot. It's like putting a performance trigger on a rifle.
I appreciate the feedback and input. Honestly, I think it's just a bit on the "sluggish" side when getting on it (entering a freeway as an example) only in comparison the the Ford and Chevy. I'm not saying it's a dog, just not as peppy. I watched the "drag racing" videos on you tube, so I knew what she was getting. It's okay, it's just a different driving experience. Not a bad one at all, just different. And different doesn't mean bad, just different than what i'm used to. We love the truck, not slandering RAM or the truck, it's just different is all.

new2rams

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice build you have coming along. Eager to see the results. Not sure which RTs you’re getting but I wasn’t to pleased with Toyos in the rain but that was in a light ended Gladiator and sounds like this thing will always have weight on the rear so it should be better for you.
Just learned they are called R/T Trail vs the usual R/T. I guess it gives it a little more agressive look vs the standard without going to a full M/T. I'll for sure share the results. I've had wonderful experiences with the Toyo M/T's in the past. Not sure if much has changed with the company, but the ease of balance coupled with tire life has been beyond my expectations.

new2rams

Reaction score
Not sure if you are already committed to those tires but you should check out the Falkan Wildpeak A/T3W. They are amazing wet traction tires. Attached is a good article published by Carli on tires and how they affect the ride quality. Falkan Wildpeaks are now E rated

hey thank you!

new2rams

Reaction score
@new2rams as @Brutal_HO mentioned, the Ford and GM will outrun an empty Cummins all day every day. That comes down to V8 vs I6. That said, two things to consider. #1 the truck will def get more peppy after it's broken in. Break in takes a while, but you'll def notice it breaking in and getting a bit more peppy. #2 is that you can change the feel of that by either a throttle "booster" (Banks, Edge, and Stealth all make a version), or by going full tune. You'll also get used to it in time. Congrats on the new truck, snap some pics when shes sitting pretty.
I hadn't thought about the break in period. That makes total sense. I won't really drive it much anyhow, and once it's sitting correct, she'll be happy as that's what's most important to her. She loves her lifted vehicles that's for sure. Being in CA, no delete for a full tune for us. Don't even get me started about all the rules here, i'm sure there's thread after thread on this site and every site about that.

Users who are viewing this thread