Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIF part duex

dsatexas651

Reaction score
Howdy, me again
If you remember, had the big WIF issue last year; its back! maybe. If you recall...i dont drive the truck much, once a week maybe. I check the rear filter every so often (one a month, minimum) and havent had any issues. I go to drive truck to work on Tuesday and hadnt even made it a mile and WIF came on. Turned it right around and parked it at home and took baby bubba to work (2016 1500 RAM). After work, drained both filters. First drain out of front showed about 1 cup of water (estimate.)...rear had trace. I cycled through 6 drains on both and were pretty clear after that first initial drain. Again...only trace out of rear while that front filter had almost a 1/3 to half of it water on first drain. Weird huh? Why didnt rear catch all that?

anyways...after 6 drains..went to turn on truck, and its still giving me WIF light. Havent started truck yet; am afraid to. Dont want another 30K repair.
Your thoughts?
Did i get a lemon?
Is there a reset?
Keep draining until WIF light goes out?
Bad WIF sensor?

Also..truck did not bog down in the few minutes between WIF on and parking it back home. Was less than a mile away from house.
Have new filters for it; will do that soon.
Am reluctant to take to dealer just yet. Rather get your guys take and some other friends of mine who have diesel trucks.
Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You need to install a security camera with motion detection to catch the person doing it there is no way you are getting that much water without someone doing it on purpose or you have bad luck with fuel stations. I have had diesels for over 30 years not once have i had water in my fuel!

If no water is left in the filters start the truck to see if WIF light goes out, you know atleast you will have a few mins of idle time with what good fuel would be in the filters you just drained

dsatexas651

Reaction score
You need to install a security camera with motion detection to catch the person doing it there is no way you are getting that much water without someone doing it on purpose or you have bad luck with fuel stations. I have had diesels for over 30 years not once have i had water in my fuel!

If no water is left in the filters start the truck to see if WIF light goes out, you know atleast you will have a few mins of idle time with what good fuel would be in the filters you just drained
I have one of those GENO's garage locking caps now since my WIF fiasco last year. So dont think its that. I did fill up tank from QT about month ago. SO there's a full tank..50 gal, in there. Just my luck i guess. Yeah...have a friend who says same. He's mystified about the water in front and none in back. If you and others think i should try starting truck for few minutes, see if light goes out, i will do that.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What filters are in the truck?

I would inspect the tank for a bad breather, or other failure/defect, that may be allowing water in.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
One possibility for the difference in water levels could be the f/w separation ratings of the filters.

I haven’t seen the oe specs on the f/w separation ratings.

dsatexas651

Reaction score
Have no idea how to find the specs on the filters being used. In closing, I ran thru about a gal worth of flushes thru the front filter until fuel was clean. Eventually the WIF light stopped coming on, started it up and its running great. Replaced filter. Have driven truck to work all week; all good! Have a lot of rain coming up next few days. Should be interesting. Thanks y'all.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Have no idea how to find the specs on the filters being used. In closing, I ran thru about a gal worth of flushes thru the front filter until fuel was clean. Eventually the WIF light stopped coming on, started it up and its running great. Replaced filter. Have driven truck to work all week; all good! Have a lot of rain coming up next few days. Should be interesting. Thanks y'all.
If its from the rain then ram owes your insurance 30 grand and you the deductible

Users who are viewing this thread