Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 4x4 tow rig / support rig

Jacob

Reaction score
How is the ride with the winch bumper and fox shocks?
I think the front of my truck is starting to bottom out easily like the factory shocks are worn already.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
How is the ride with the winch bumper and fox shocks?
I think the front of my truck is starting to bottom out easily like the factory shocks are worn already.
Are you sure it’s bottoming out and not just stiff due to the very heavy front sway bar? It can definitely be felt over uneven bumps such as turning into a driveway or something. I’m thinking about deleting my front sway bar or going torsion to help with that.

But on the road and on forest service roads, My truck rides great in my opinion. The 2.0 fox IFP are much better than the factory shocks. I had a bad factory shock in the rear, it was leaking at a few thousand miles. I don’t mind the heavier spring rate of the factory springs so I don’t plan on going to carli or thuren softer springs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s bottoming out and not just stiff due to the very heavy front sway bar? It can definitely be felt over uneven bumps such as turning into a driveway or something. I’m thinking about deleting my front sway bar or going torsion to help with that.

But on the road and on forest service roads, My truck rides great in my opinion. The 2.0 fox IFP are much better than the factory shocks. I had a bad factory shock in the rear, it was leaking at a few thousand miles. I don’t mind the heavier spring rate of the factory springs so I don’t plan on going to carli or thuren softer springs.
Drop the front sway bar you wont regret it, was the best thing i did for mine everything suspension is stock and it rides much better than before

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

I went ahead and pulled the front swaybar today. The front swaybar is the beefier of the two swaybars. A short drive reinforced my opinion that the truck didn’t need both swaybars. Feels great.

It takes about ten minutes with hand tools to remove. 10mm to hold the link from spinning, 21mm to loosen the nut on the end link (axle end) and 15mm to remove the bracket bolts off the frame. The swaybar end of the link is an 18mm but I didn’t remove those as you can see in the pic. Links slid out of the axle bracket without needing the hammer on mine.

73BBF6F8-F5AF-4234-A1C4-6B51EB78E3EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Been a few months and a few thousand miles. Haven’t really done anything to the truck other than put miles on it. I’ve had it in twisty mountain roads, off road and plenty of highway miles and I am extremely happy with my decision to remove the front swaybar.

I purchased a spare matching wheel from a member here @Surf2snow1 so I need to figure out what I want to do with tires. If I go up in tire size and run a matching spare I’ll likely put an air tank where the factory spare used to live. If I stay with ~35s I’ll just get a fifth as a spare

Added some rhino rack vortex crossbars. I was hyped to get them but pretty unimpressed to be honest. They’ll work for the intended purpose but I wouldn’t buy them again.

The locking bars that hold the uprights into the bases are plastic, missing hardware and three proprietary “keys” needed to take the thing apart. So that’s three new pieces of junk to keep in my truck.

83E1AE6F-C674-4D85-A58B-B11C8FCDA737.jpeg

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Haven’t updated this in a while simply because I haven’t done much to the truck itself.

I did add tow mirrors to the truck because i upgraded my trailer situation. Now the crawler hauler is an enclosed trailer. Long term plans include traveling further to go wheeling around the country and this will be good for that. Also, it’s a loophole to park a car in my yard with my HOA situation so I gained a parking spot that I desperately needed. Haha

I went back and forth in my head for a long time about what to do with the suspension. I have the parts on the garage shelf to go up another 1” all the way around to fit 37s but at this time there aren’t any gears available to re-gear the truck.

So, I’ve decided to stay at the same height and stay on 35s until I can re-gear with some Yukon 4.30s or 4.44s depending on what becomes available. I’ve spoken with Yukon and they say fourth quarter this year.

I thought about doing airbags but I’ve decided to try some sumo springs in place of the rear bump stops, but I haven’t received them yet. I will update this when I install them. My truck squats 1.25” with 750lb of tongue weight so that should put the truck sitting on the sumo springs when I hook the trailer up. When I get the sumo springs installed I may also ditch the rear swaybar since I only kept that for towing purposes.

Some obligatory pics of tow mirrors and new trailer and random stuff

275B1428-8AA6-4E1F-A8EB-47176CE34915.jpeg6543FE30-58EF-49A2-A3AB-3EFD75EA4153.jpeg2347BF40-8D6F-40F2-B449-6860E7BE1789.jpegD656C35D-96F1-42F2-AEA0-991EDF965F41.jpeg

el_barto

Reaction score
Tow mirrors look good, they fit the truck better than the non-tow mirrors…didn’t realize you didn’t have them before.
Did you get OEM or aftermarket? Did you consider the GM-style aftermarket tow mirrors?

flan

Reaction score
I’m in similar shoes to you, with tongue weight. My truck sits 3/4” higher in the rear with the thuren 2” front springs. Put on the camper and even with the WDH it’s level, to slight ass drag depending on what’s in the bed, etc. I was thinking of some airlift bags and daystar cradles. I didn’t want to go sumo and be disappointed due to lack of adjustability. I also have a equip trailer I rarely use but the tongue can get a bit heavier than the camper on that depending on loading. Decisions......

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Tow mirrors look good, they fit the truck better than the non-tow mirrors…didn’t realize you didn’t have them before.
Did you get OEM or aftermarket? Did you consider the GM-style aftermarket tow mirrors?
I went with boost auto parts. They seemed like a reputable and knowledgeable place and I’m very happy with the quality. They offer them with defrost on both upper and lower mirror and the adjustments work properly when flipped and unflipped.

Maybe one day I’ll get the dealer to turn on the blinkers in the mirrors or maybe I’ll buy a laptop and try to figure out alphaOBD.

I did look at the gm style but I wanted to stay with the oem - ish look.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’m in similar shoes to you, with tongue weight. My truck sits 3/4” higher in the front with the thuren 2” front springs. Put on the camper and even with the WDH it’s level, to slight ass drag depending on what’s in the bed, etc. I was thinking of some airlift bags and daystar cradles. I didn’t want to go sumo and be disappointed due to lack of adjustability. I also have a equip trailer I rarely use but the tongue can get a bit heavier than the camper on that depending on loading. Decisions......
Air bags and cradles are definitely a good way to go.

My truck doesn’t really need air bags for the tongue weight I’m hauling. Sumo springs can’t break or fail. I like that. I went with the softer ones. if I can come up with a solution that works and requires no input and no maintenance or service, that’s the way I go these days.

el_barto

Reaction score
I went with boost auto parts. They seemed like a reputable and knowledgeable place and I’m very happy with the quality. They offer them with defrost on both upper and lower mirror and the adjustments work properly when flipped and unflipped.

Maybe one day I’ll get the dealer to turn on the blinkers in the mirrors or maybe I’ll buy a laptop and try to figure out alphaOBD.

I did look at the gm style but I wanted to stay with the oem - ish look.
I had Boost mirrors on my last truck, they were high quality.
Personally, I like the GM style mirrors…there is no visual change to adjust to when making them wider for towing, i like the turn signals on the rear facing glass, and the rear facing lights are super bright (and have little shields to block the mount from blinding you in the drivers seat like the Ram ones do)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had Boost mirrors on my last truck, they were high quality.
Personally, I like the GM style mirrors…there is no visual change to adjust to when making them wider for towing, i like the turn signals on the rear facing glass, and the rear facing lights are super bright (and have little shields to block the mount from blinding you in the drivers seat like the Ram ones do)
I honestly cant stand the look of em i find the rams look nicer

flan

Reaction score
Air bags and cradles are definitely a good way to go.

My truck doesn’t really need air bags for the tongue weight I’m hauling. Sumo springs can’t break or fail. I like that. I went with the softer ones. if I can come up with a solution that works and requires no input and no maintenance or service, that’s the way I go these days.
I get it. The airing up/down always seemed like a turnoff to me with bags. ESP if I don’t go onboard compressor route..

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I get it. The airing up/down always seemed like a turnoff to me with bags. ESP if I don’t go onboard compressor route..
I do have an onboard compressor but I don’t want to fuss with airbags. I’ve had airbags on coil spring trucks before and I did not have any problems with them. They were airlift 1000s and they stuffed inside the coils of my suburban and they were fantastic. I just want to try something simpler / new. I like the concept and maybe my mind will be blown.

I also like the sumo springs don’t touch at ride height and they spin off just like unscrewing a light bulb so I can remove them and reinstall them probably quicker than airing up bags. I will only do that if they are annoying running around unloaded, I’ll probably leave them on all the time

flan

Reaction score
Nice, post up a review when you get them installed I’d be interested to see your impressions of them.

snocam

Reaction score
Rockcrawlerdude, have you heard anything else about aftermarket gears? I believe my needs are similar to yours as far as how I use my truck. It's already on 37s with an AEV lift, as discussed elsewhere, and 3.73 gears. I'm so far really enjoying the Ram and I can see myself holding onto it for a while. I've only got 13k on it, just getting broken in. I love the power wagon, but need more payload capacity and towability. I also like the night edition grill and overall package better than the pw or new rebel. So a gear swap may be in my future.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Rockcrawlerdude, have you heard anything else about aftermarket gears? I believe my needs are similar to yours as far as how I use my truck. It's already on 37s with an AEV lift, as discussed elsewhere, and 3.73 gears. I'm so far really enjoying the Ram and I can see myself holding onto it for a while. I've only got 13k on it, just getting broken in. I love the power wagon, but need more payload capacity and towability. I also like the night edition grill and overall package better than the pw or new rebel. So a gear swap may be in my future.
I called Yukon in July and they said this

I had a bit of a drive on the way home today so I decided to call Yukon and speak with tech-support. FYI I ended up being transferred to Randy’s and I spoke with Gus.

Gus knew exactly what I was talking about when i asked about the differences in the 2019 + trucks from the 2014+ trucks

I will try to explain what he said to the best that my very very poor short term memory would allow me to remember from the time we spoke to the time I could make this post.

2019+ power wagons use the old front end stuff

Non PW 2500s use the same front ring and pinion set but new style bearings.

All 2019+ trucks have a new 32 spline rear end it’s slightly different

TLDR: yes they’re different. But, Both power wagon and 2500 trucks have factory gear sets available so you can regear to 3.73, 4.10 or 4.44 at this moment. No aftermarket options are available until fourth quarter. (Currently in development)

Personally, I’m hopeful for Yukon 4.30s

Users who are viewing this thread