Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Scored this Granite Crystal (paint code PAU) Leer 100XL on Facebook Marketplace for $500. I was looking for six months to find one in the right color. After about a month of searching in my local area, I expanded my search to 500 miles out. A bit far, but I was willing to make the road trip for the right topper for the right price. I traveled just over seven hours each way - all day trip. The shell came with some pretty nice already installed options. Sliding fold down front window, carpeted interior, roof rack channels and keyless entry. It took me a few days to find the Leer "Plug and Play" harness (Leer part number 300100). The harness is not cheap, but it prevents splicing all over the place. If I used the pigtail harness that was easy to find, I would also have to buy a bunch of wire and connectors. The harness comes with all connections EXCEPT the wires for keyless entry and the AUX wire. I will run my own wires for that. Not sure I currently have the need for an AUX wire (separate wire than the dome light - the harness is wired for the dome light). Over all I am pleased with the purchase and look forward to future road trips and a place for the dog. We are currently training to use the PetSafe telescoping dog ramp. Definitly babby steps with that.

View attachment 65968
Looks good nice score

jsalbre

Reaction score
Scored this Granite Crystal (paint code PAU) Leer 100XL on Facebook Marketplace for $500. I was looking for six months to find one in the right color. After about a month of searching in my local area, I expanded my search to 500 miles out. A bit far, but I was willing to make the road trip for the right topper for the right price. I traveled just over seven hours each way - all day trip. The shell came with some pretty nice already installed options. Sliding fold down front window, carpeted interior, roof rack channels and keyless entry. It took me a few days to find the Leer "Plug and Play" harness (Leer part number 300100). The harness is not cheap, but it prevents splicing all over the place. If I used the pigtail harness that was easy to find, I would also have to buy a bunch of wire and connectors. The harness comes with all connections EXCEPT the wires for keyless entry and the AUX wire. I will run my own wires for that. Not sure I currently have the need for an AUX wire (separate wire than the dome light - the harness is wired for the dome light). Over all I am pleased with the purchase and look forward to future road trips and a place for the dog. We are currently training to use the PetSafe telescoping dog ramp. Definitly babby steps with that.

View attachment 65968
Interesting, those are the exact options and color I had on my 100XL that I sold. Out of curiosity where do you pick it up from?

zerogravity779

Reaction score
Interesting, those are the exact options and color I had on my 100XL that I sold. Out of curiosity where do you pick it up from?
I picked it up from Great American RV in Hattiesburg Mississippi this past Friday, November 24th. I was told that it was part of a trade in for a 5th Wheel RV. I was told that the customer traded in a bumper pull camper and upgraded to a 5th wheel. I was told it came off of a 2020 3500. Mine is a 2020 2500. The build date of the topper is March 2020.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I picked it up from Great American RV in Hattiesburg Mississippi this past Friday, November 24th. I was told that it was part of a trade in for a 5th Wheel RV. I was told that the customer traded in a bumper pull camper and upgraded to a 5th wheel. I was told it came off of a 2020 3500. Mine is a 2020 2500. The build date of the topper is March 2020.
Ahh, nvm. Mine was on a 2020 2500, but I sold it in Idaho. Funny though, it was also built March 2020.

Etoimos

Reaction score
I've been running an RSI SmartCap since last spring and I like it a lot.

index.php

index.php

The driver's side half bin houses my electrical setup:
index.php

And the passenger's side has the ARB sir setup:

index.php

If anyone cares to see more details on how the topper goes together and other details on it, I have lots of pics in my build thread starting with this post.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Resized_20240114_130328.jpgResized_20240114_130303.jpgResized_20240114_130251.jpg

Custom color matched (crystal granite PAU) ARE high top on my 2017 3500 TD HO dually with 8 ft bed. 4ft Front sliding window that also tilts open to clean the truck cab window, both side windows tilt open and the center window slides too, led lighting fed from my max tow connector in the 8 ft bed. Rear window with center lock and 2 gas struts. It is very high in the rear as my truck has the Max tow and B6 front / b8 rear bilsteins ( no lift though ) . I use a pvc pipe with 90 degree fittings to bring the edge of the rear window down far enough to grab to close it. ARE did a great job on the color match. This was installed in August 2021.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been running an RSI SmartCap since last spring and I like it a lot.

index.php

index.php

The driver's side half bin houses my electrical setup:
index.php

And the passenger's side has the ARB sir setup:

index.php

If anyone cares to see more details on how the topper goes together and other details on it, I have lots of pics in my build thread starting with this post.
Thats well laid out. Nice clean cable/airline layout

silverheep

Reaction score
Thanks. I had to remove the SmartCap to get some hail damage repaired on the truck and this will give me the opportunity to clean up the air lines a little better.
Love your build - it’s made me lean towards the SmartCap. Have you had any issues with leaking? I keep seeing people saying constantly and people saying never - so I’m guessing it has to do with assembly/fitment, would love your thoughts.

Also - any issues with locks freezing shut? I’m in northern CO with similar weather conditions.

Etoimos

Reaction score
Love your build - it’s made me lean towards the SmartCap. Have you had any issues with leaking? I keep seeing people saying constantly and people saying never - so I’m guessing it has to do with assembly/fitment, would love your thoughts.

Also - any issues with locks freezing shut? I’m in northern CO with similar weather conditions.
Thank you. No leaking issues here. I would think that might be an assembly thing.

I've only had one issue with the cap and that was a couple of weeks after installing it. One of the lock seized in the locked position (not related to cold/freezing). I emailed SmartCap on a Friday about it and the US manager called me on Saturday to find out what the issue was. I told him that one of the locks had seized closed and he had a complete set of 6 new locks to me by the end of that next week. I asked them about the lock covers I've seen other purchase from 3rd parties and they sent me a set of those as well. I'm not sure if RSi makes these or they bought them and then sent them to me or what.

I've had nothing but great customer support from them. They even sent me several dimensional data sheet drawings for various parts of the cap prior to me buying it.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
I got an RSI Smartcap this week and want to run some 12v power into it. I want it to always be on. Where is the place place to get some power?

I figure I have a few options
1. The wire under the spare tire
2. Steal power from the 7-pin trailer connector
3. Run from the fuse box or battery

Right now, I will just be running some bed lights, but I could see in the future adding some USB charging.

zerogravity779

Reaction score
I got an RSI Smartcap this week and want to run some 12v power into it. I want it to always be on. Where is the place place to get some power?

I figure I have a few options
1. The wire under the spare tire
2. Steal power from the 7-pin trailer connector
3. Run from the fuse box or battery

Right now, I will just be running some bed lights, but I could see in the future adding some USB charging.
Personally I would run the wire directly from the battery, fused at the battery. I would go no less than 10 GA wire. Depending on future accessories as you mentioned, that 16 or 18 GA wire found near the 7 pin connector might no be big enough and could cause an issue, like a fire if the draw is too much for the wire and causes it to overheat and melt. The thicker the gauge of wire you go with will determine what kind of accessories you can run in the future as well as the power draw.

jadmt

Reaction score
I ran a 10g wire directly from battery fused of course ran it thru the frame and came up in the front stake pocket. I will try and remember to take a photo tomorrow.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
I'll likely run from the battery, as that is what I usually do on Jeep builds, and I've got a Blue Sea fuse block I can use from a leftover project. I'm just not sure where I'm going to put it yet. I might wait for the whole project until I can get a bin because my original idea was to place all the electrical in the bin and maybe even put a second battery back there.

This Smartcap was a welcomed surprise. I ordered it two weeks ago, and I guess someone sold their truck while waiting on theirs, so it showed up much to the surprise of my installer and myself. We were told it would 6-8 months before we could get one here in Eastern Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread