Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

southern_yank

Reaction score
I am ready to get torched...But a $100 for the pigtail seems worth it!
Not from me! I get it, there are a lot of times where ease or lack of frustration warrants additional expense. It's the entire premise behind 100% of the items we as consumers buy every single day.

But, with that being said, I'm kind of a cheap skate on certain things, and my background is heavily focused on 12v automotive wiring systems. Unless that stupid little box had some sort of brain or other "nifty" use, it's getting a weatherpak connector pigtail and I've already got those parts. LOL

besides, I've been out of the automotive game for over 10 years now, it's kind of fun to get back into small stuff like this. Also makes me realize how much of my tools and supplies I got rid of when I moved out of PA.... :confused:

southern_yank

Reaction score
Need some advice - trying to wire the interior cap lighting. Used the existing LED bed lighting circuit for the power feed. Only seeing 10.9v on this circuit.

Cap dome light is LED and super weak. The strip light that runs the center length is inop unless I hit it with a full 12.X volt from the power probe.

Is it normal for the bed light circuit to be this low?
2a9d04a79011b66b6c82963c26638c88.jpg
3bc5ec4e71f80a9794594b5f12059bda.jpg
394458e4cf4f5d9ea26cc1df8b61ae09.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Need some advice - trying to wire the interior cap lighting. Used the existing LED bed lighting circuit for the power feed. Only seeing 10.9v on this circuit.

Cap dome light is LED and super weak. The strip light that runs the center length is inop unless I hit it with a full 12.X volt from the power probe.

Is it normal for the bed light circuit to be this low?
2a9d04a79011b66b6c82963c26638c88.jpg
3bc5ec4e71f80a9794594b5f12059bda.jpg
394458e4cf4f5d9ea26cc1df8b61ae09.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I haven’t checked voltage on that circuit but this is the only helpful Input I have…When my truck battery was showing age my tailgate popper was too weak to pop the tailgate when the truck was off. Truck on it worked fine. Maybe check with the truck on (if it was off here)

Jacob

Reaction score
My old camper shell from my 2001 was finally done so I cut it up with a skil saw. Looked at new ones and was shocked that they basically started at $2800. And the whole dealer process was a major turnoff for me. Used ones were scarce and were $1500 or more. Ended up with the softopper.20230925_114659.jpg

ppine

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be looking for the alternative to the 3k price. How long do you think that soft top will last?
Tonneau covers are all the rage but I don't want one.
I bit the bullet and bought a Leer top because my last fiberglass one lasted 20 years and got sold with the truck.
I sleep in my truck all the time and often in the cold weather. It works fine and is worth the inverstment. Good luck with yours.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
$1000 for a soft topper.. I’ll spend the extra money on the hard topper again
You ever ridden in a Jeep with a soft top on the highway?
My hunting dogs ride under the Snugtop for hundreds of miles, would never subject them to soft top noise for that long plus the differing levels of security concerning my guns and stuff.
But, to each his own…it looks kinda cool.

Metternacht

Reaction score
The best soft top out there was the can-back, I had one on my 01 Chevy, still have the top. Unfortunately it didn't fit well on the ram. Its a shame they went under, I always got asked about it when I had it on the truck..

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You ever ridden in a Jeep with a soft top on the highway?
My hunting dogs ride under the Snugtop for hundreds of miles, would never subject them to soft top noise for that long plus the differing levels of security concerning my guns and stuff.
But, to each his own…it looks kinda cool.
The YJ soft top is miserable.

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 5 years out of the soft top. Truck will be mostly parked under carport. I don't hear any noise from the soft top inside the cab. I don't put the dog or kids in the bed.
I got it for a handful of reasons. Hopefully it works with the 5th wheel when folded up. I wanted one before deer season, and didn't want to order a camper and not get it. It's definitely not as good as camper shell for security and access. No roof rack, etc. I might get the rsi next. They seem to have a different selling strategy. I think they are made in fort worth now.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 5 years out of the soft top. Truck will be mostly parked under carport. I don't hear any noise from the soft top inside the cab. I don't put the dog or kids in the bed.
I got it for a handful of reasons. Hopefully it works with the 5th wheel when folded up. I wanted one before deer season, and didn't want to order a camper and not get it. It's definitely not as good as camper shell for security and access. No roof rack, etc. I might get the rsi next. They seem to have a different selling strategy. I think they are made in fort worth now.
It’s pretty cool, man…a good reasoning behind your getting it afaic, especially the fifth wheel deal.
Better than the wind whipping your deer and gear all crusty on the way home, fosho.

JiminRuskin

Reaction score
Hey all, here is my 2022 PW with an 2019 AT Overland Summit topper. This was originally on my 2015 Tundra but lives full time on the PW now. I built an interior using 80/20 extrusion. I have a 200 AH battle born lithium battery setup being charged by 200 watts of solar on top, a DC to DC charging system and a shore power system. I run a 12 volt /freezer which sits in the rear of the cab. The battery system also runs a 2000 watt inverter. I do plan to wrap the topper with a matte black film. I also installed a twin compressor ARB air pump. 35" tires are planned when the stock tires wear out. Here are some pics.IMG_4439.JPGIMG_4437.JPGIMG_4438.JPGIMG_4436.JPG

zerogravity779

Reaction score
Scored this Granite Crystal (paint code PAU) Leer 100XL on Facebook Marketplace for $500. I was looking for six months to find one in the right color. After about a month of searching in my local area, I expanded my search to 500 miles out. A bit far, but I was willing to make the road trip for the right topper for the right price. I traveled just over seven hours each way - all day trip. The shell came with some pretty nice already installed options. Sliding fold down front window, carpeted interior, roof rack channels and keyless entry. It took me a few days to find the Leer "Plug and Play" harness (Leer part number 300100). The harness is not cheap, but it prevents splicing all over the place. If I used the pigtail harness that was easy to find, I would also have to buy a bunch of wire and connectors. The harness comes with all connections EXCEPT the wires for keyless entry and the AUX wire. I will run my own wires for that. Not sure I currently have the need for an AUX wire (separate wire than the dome light - the harness is wired for the dome light). Over all I am pleased with the purchase and look forward to future road trips and a place for the dog. We are currently training to use the PetSafe telescoping dog ramp. Definitly babby steps with that.

IMG_0016.png

Users who are viewing this thread