Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is this because it's low voltage only? I'm trying to figure out if the cap will work with the proximity tailgate? I'm guessing from your response it's a no. I don't understand how the cap manufactures can't answer questions like this. I reached out to ARE and Leer on this and they both gave me a "not sure". I just wish I could tie into the latch or proximity sensor in the tailgate.

This has to be a solvable problem right? If the tailgate sends a low voltage I don't see why that couldn't be stepped up or lower the amount of voltage the sensor expects to see. One of those has to be an option right?

The trouble is that it isn’t a lock or unlock signal. When you push the tailgate button the computer sees that and if it’s memory for the tailgate says it’s “locked” then it doesn’t send anything, if it says it’s “unlocked” then it sends a signal to open. There isn’t an actual lock or unlock signal for the cap to receive.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The trouble is that it isn’t a lock or unlock signal. When you push the tailgate button the computer sees that and if it’s memory for the tailgate says it’s “locked” then it doesn’t send anything, if it says it’s “unlocked” then it sends a signal to open. There isn’t an actual lock or unlock signal for the cap to receive.

Ah, yeah that is fair, I was thinking of the unlocking only, not the locking. The downside of tying into the doors means that you would need to unlock the truck first, at least for the proximity keys, unless clicking the tailgate can somehow unlock the doors. I'll have to play around with it.

Really wish there was a module or something that could tie into this, it's surprising that that isn't a sensor that locks the tailgate.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ah, yeah that is fair, I was thinking of the unlocking only, not the locking. The downside of tying into the doors means that you would need to unlock the truck first, at least for the proximity keys, unless clicking the tailgate can somehow unlock the doors. I'll have to play around with it.

Really wish there was a module or something that could tie into this, it's surprising that that isn't a sensor that locks the tailgate.

Yeah, it’s problematic. I spent months trying to figure out a way to do it and finally gave up. The best I could think of was tying the unlock wire to the tailgate open signal, and the lock wire to the door locks. I’m not sure if the pulse from the tailgate release is the right voltage or a long enough pulse to trigger the cap lock.

Unfortunately you’re right about the current method of unlocking, I have to go grab the door handle to open it.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s problematic. I spent months trying to figure out a way to do it and finally gave up. The best I could think of was tying the unlock wire to the tailgate open signal, and the lock wire to the door locks. I’m not sure if the pulse from the tailgate release is the right voltage or a long enough pulse to trigger the cap lock.

Unfortunately you’re right about the current method of unlocking, I have to go grab the door handle to open it.

Not the end of the world, real first world problems, just annoying more than anything. Well I'll have to live with it, or not do a cap.

Rocky13

Reaction score
Have any of you with the hard shells been able to find them in stock somewhere or does everyone have to wait 6-10 weeks to get theirs?

steve49

Reaction score
I'll be picking up my ARE Z shell Wednesday, it took right at 8 weeks, think this is pretty much the norm for all the issues with 2020!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Have any of you with the hard shells been able to find them in stock somewhere or does everyone have to wait 6-10 weeks to get theirs?

I've never not waited for a new cap... previous model year fits so if you find a used one, no waiting.

Rocky13

Reaction score
I'll be picking up my ARE Z shell Wednesday, it took right at 8 weeks, think this is pretty much the norm for all the issues with 2020!
I've never not waited for a new cap... previous model year fits so if you find a used one, no waiting.
Thanks guys. Never had a bed cap but wanted to grab one before a road trip next week. Haven't had much luck finding a used one for our trucks either.

steve49

Reaction score
Agree, all the caps I've had over the years all had to be ordered, was usually about 4 weeks delivery.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Anyone have any perspective on leer vs. ARE hard toppers?

Was really hoping that this thread had some more pictures! That said, if there is anyone out there with more pictures that they'd like to share I'd very much appreciate it! Trying to decide if I want a cap , and if I do, which one.

Right now I have some quotes pending for the Leer 100XL and the ARE z series.

jsalbre

Reaction score

Was really hoping that this thread had some more pictures! That said, if there is anyone out there with more pictures that they'd like to share I'd very much appreciate it! Trying to decide if I want a cap , and if I do, which one.

I’ll get you some pictures for comparison today. I’ve got a Leer 100XL and I happen to be visiting my dad (who also has a 2020 2500) and he has an ARE Z series.

steve49

Reaction score

I've had 3 ARE Z series cap, 1 ARE Tonneau cover, 2 Leer caps, and 2 SnugTop caps. I think any of the brands do what your needs are for a cap, I just kinda like the ARE a little better. Prior to buying I looked online at the models of all three brands listed above, and settled on the ARE Z series again. I ordered it with the fold down front sliding window, side window open w/screens, headliner w/LED light strip, keyless entry/latch, and Bedrug bed liner. It all comes down to what features and design and how it looks on your truck.

Rocky13

Reaction score

I just ordered a Leer. It came down to for me that the Leer dealer had a loaner they could let me borrow for a trip. The ARE tend to be a little more expensive and seem to take longer to get. From what I've gathered in my searches and speaking to dealers that sell both, they're the same quality just have different styles and features. I believe Leer had a more broad range of accessories available for their toppers depending on what you're using it for. With that in mind it seems a lot of guys using toppers for work trucks go with Leer and a lot of guys using toppers for non work related purposes seem to go with ARE.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
I’ll get you some pictures for comparison today. I’ve got a Leer 100XL and I happen to be visiting my dad (who also has a 2020 2500) and he has an ARE Z series.
Awesome! That will certainly help me! I've been having some issues finding pics on the web of the 4.5 gens with caps...

I've had 3 ARE Z series cap, 1 ARE Tonneau cover, 2 Leer caps, and 2 SnugTop caps. I think any of the brands do what your needs are for a cap, I just kinda like the ARE a little better. Prior to buying I looked online at the models of all three brands listed above, and settled on the ARE Z series again. I ordered it with the fold down front sliding window, side window open w/screens, headliner w/LED light strip, keyless entry/latch, and Bedrug bed liner. It all comes down to what features and design and how it looks on your truck.
Any pics? My quote came through for the z series at a little over 3.5K, which I think is excessive.... Does that sound inline with your experience?
I just ordered a Leer. It came down to for me that the Leer dealer had a loaner they could let me borrow for a trip. The ARE tend to be a little more expensive and seem to take longer to get. From what I've gathered in my searches and speaking to dealers that sell both, they're the same quality just have different styles and features. I believe Leer had a more broad range of accessories available for their toppers depending on what you're using it for. With that in mind it seems a lot of guys using toppers for work trucks go with Leer and a lot of guys using toppers for non work related purposes seem to go with ARE.
This is good info, interested to see how it looks on your rig. And I assume the Leer is less than 3.5K?

Rocky13

Reaction score
Awesome! That will certainly help me! I've been having some issues finding pics on the web of the 4.5 gens with caps...

Any pics? My quote came through for the z series at a little over 3.5K, which I think is excessive.... Does that sound inline with your experience?

This is good info, interested to see how it looks on your rig. And I assume the Leer is less than 3.5K?
It depends on the model you get and what options you choose so its hard to compare pricing without taking the specifics into account. My topper from leer is a 100xr with front slider window, pet screens with slider side windows, carpet headliner, roof rack and gas switch to make the light come on when the camper window is opened. Its total price is $3,360.80 installed. I have a black crew cab 2500 without ram boxes. Should be 3-6 weeks and I'll be a able to post a picture.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My Leer 100XR with removable front slider window, slider side windows w/screens, carpeted interior, Thule Oval roof rack and truck FOB remote lock.

3 Day 3-Leer Shell.jpg$2650.00 plus tax, installed.

steve49

Reaction score

Pics a few posts back, and was $3490

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I had a Z series on my old truck... hardware is much better than what you can find on a Leer.
Leer looks like they use door hinges while ARE uses nice heavy duty 'C' hinges.
ARE attachments are bonded to the glass and Leer has them through the glass.

I just find ARE has a much more finished/polished look...

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
A lot of good information here. Still yet to see good pictures of ARE z and the LEER 100XL on this thread. Not sure if I missed it....

Users who are viewing this thread