Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 6.4 hemi tranny rear seal leak

beedle

Reaction score
Bought a new 2023 2 months ago and the rear tranny seal is leaking its a sealed tranny has anybody else had this issue seems like this shouldnt be a problem on a new truck have not even pulled anything yet 1400 miles?

flan

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the area in question?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are you sure its the trans not the T case output? The t case is mounted on the trans and you are not likely going to see a leak there

Units

Reaction score
Are you sure it’s the trans not the T case output? The t case is mounted on the trans and you are not likely going to see a leak there
My ‘23 is not a 6.4 but I had a leak at the rear output shaft seal, @ 3800 miles (fixed under warranty of course). I would guess that’s probably the culprit.

1703861245434.jpeg

lgjhn

Reaction score
I purchase my 2023 back in November and now have 5000 miles.
Changed the oil/filter and rotated the tires last week.
While under the truck, I noticed that I have the same exact leak as in the pic of Post# 7 above.
I haven't gotten a chance to take it in for warranty repair yet, but it won't be long.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I purchase my 2023 back in November and now have 5000 miles.
Changed the oil/filter and rotated the tires last week.
While under the truck, I noticed that I have the same exact leak as in the pic of Post# 7 above.
I haven't gotten a chance to take it in for warranty repair yet, but it won't be long.
Seems like the factory guys have forgot to grease the T case output seals before assembly so by forgetting to do that they burn up from lack of lubrication almost instantly. The grease allows the lubrication until the oil has a chance to work its way in and continuously lubricate the seal

lgjhn

Reaction score
Seems like the factory guys have forgot to grease the T case output seals before assembly so by forgetting to do that they burn up from lack of lubrication almost instantly. The grease allows the lubrication until the oil has a chance to work its way in and continuously lubricate the seal
That would certainly explain it....
I wonder if it was the same crew that put the fuses in the fuse boxes.?.../s. LOL

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Add me to the list :(, noticed at first around 1k, wiped it clean and hoped for the best. Now at 2k it looks exactly like the pic above.
Question to other unlucky posters, if you took it to be repaired, how big of an ordeal was it?

flan

Reaction score
Add me to the list :(, noticed at first around 1k, wiped it clean and hoped for the best. Now at 2k it looks exactly like the pic above.
Question to other unlucky posters, if you took it to be repaired, how big of an ordeal was it?
If it’s the TC output shaft seal pictured above it’s no big deal at all. Drop the driveshaft, tap out the old seal, press new one in, reinstall driveshaft and you’re back on the road. I can do one in my driveway in under an hour.

flan

Reaction score
I’d probably do it myself. The seal is cheap too. Make sure you chock the wheels, the truck will roll with the driveshaft removed.
68161329AA should be your friend, just double check for your application.

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
I’d probably do it myself. The seal is cheap too. Make sure you chock the wheels, the truck will roll with the driveshaft removed.
68161329AA should be your friend, just double check for your application.
Thanks! Appreciate the part number too!

lgjhn

Reaction score
Mine finally stopped on its own.
I noticed mine when I did my 5K oil change (Post #9 above).
Upon noticing it, I took a rag and cleaned it up along with the surround area so I could get an idea on just how bad it was leaking.
I planned on making an appt. to have it fixed, but have been putting it off due to other priorities going on right now.
Since the oil change, I've put about 300 or so miles on the truck....mostly local driving, no towing.
I slid under the truck yesterday to check on it, and it was just the way I left it when I cleaned up...not a drop.
I'll keep an eye on it, but it apparently has stopped on its own.

flan

Reaction score
Mine finally stopped on its own.
I noticed mine when I did my 5K oil change (Post #9 above).
Upon noticing it, I took a rag and cleaned it up along with the surround area so I could get an idea on just how bad it was leaking.
I planned on making an appt. to have it fixed, but have been putting it off due to other priorities going on right now.
Since the oil change, I've put about 300 or so miles on the truck....mostly local driving, no towing.
I slid under the truck yesterday to check on it, and it was just the way I left it when I cleaned up...not a drop.
I'll keep an eye on it, but it apparently has stopped on its own.
Have you checked your fluid level?

Users who are viewing this thread