Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

56ram2500

Reaction score
Sign up at Cummins to be notified when kits are back in stock, the UOA kits cost are $17.04 each with TBN when you buy direct from Cummins ( you pay postage to send it to the lab, $5.95 for the one I sent in Thursday) shipping was free when buying over $75 not sure if its changed, I recall one person said it cost him about $8.95 for shipping 3 kits... I'm sure glad I bought 6 uoa kits last year, I'm now down to 2 kits left and need one for the wife's car. https://shop.cummins.com/SC/product/standard-oil-smp/01t4N0000048p3JQAQ

k72nova

Reaction score
If your going down the LL track then do not have any contact with the manufacturer concerning a buyback. That will complicate things and possibly nullify your LL case. This is what I got from my LL attorney. According to him it's an 'either/or' kind of thing.
Unfortunately in Utah the LL requires that you've already attempted an abitration with the manufacturer prior to your case being accepted for review. My case was open and shut since all the repair attempts and days without my vehicle would have had to take place in the first 12 months of owning the vehicle, my first appointment with the dealer was two weeks after my 12 months was up. The person handling my case said for her office it's black and white and I'm either in the window or I'm not, she did mention that a judge may see things differently so I may contact an attorney and see what kind of case I have.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately in Utah the LL requires that you've already attempted an abitration with the manufacturer prior to your case being accepted for review. My case was open and shut since all the repair attempts and days without my vehicle would have had to take place in the first 12 months of owning the vehicle, my first appointment with the dealer was two weeks after my 12 months was up. The person handling my case said for her office it's black and white and I'm either in the window or I'm not, she did mention that a judge may see things differently so I may contact an attorney and see what kind of case I have.

That's basically Colorado LL as well. Pretty toothless.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
California doesn't have much going for it these days, but at least the lemon laws are more consumer friendly. Well, until enough legislators and alphabet agency heads get their "Big Guy" cut.

downsc123

Reaction score
For those of you having a hard time getting the dealer to look at your truck without an active CEL, I recommend you send a sample of you oil out for analysis - when it comes back critical, what will get their attention. I have 5000 miles on my current oil and regen every 200 miles (so I never get any CELs) - my sample came back at 7.7% fuel dilution which is at the critical level. I showed the dealer my results and they agreed something was wrong and agreed to look at it under warranty. For those of you regening every 100 miles or less, you are likely worse than my numbers which will be causing harm to your engine components.
For my issue above, I had an appointment with the dealer scheduled for Tuesday to open a case. They told me not to change my oil as they had to take their own sample. They now called me and told me they lost their diesel tech and have to cancel my appointment and are not even willing to take and store an oil sample. Really had no advice for me at all and the few other dealers nearby either also don't have a diesel tech or can't get me in anytime soon.. @RamCares - any advice. I really want to change the oil as I know its doing damage driving it like this - don't understand why they cant start a case with the results I have.

56ram2500

Reaction score
For my issue above, I had an appointment with the dealer scheduled for Tuesday to open a case. They told me not to change my oil as they had to take their own sample. They now called me and told me they lost their diesel tech and have to cancel my appointment and are not even willing to take and store an oil sample. Really had no advice for me at all and the few other dealers nearby either also don't have a diesel tech or can't get me in anytime soon.. @RamCares - any advice. I really want to change the oil as I know its doing damage driving it like this - don't understand why they cant start a case with the results I have.
How about telling the dealership not having a diesel tech does not prevent them from taking their own sample when you change oil an sending it in to a lab of there choice, they then will have their own record of the oil contamination for your truck for warranty and you can have peace of mind your not doing more damage to the engine, also tell them by taking there own sample now will speed up things when they get a new diesel tech...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Pull it into the service drop off bay with all your oil change stuff. Hand them the sample bottle when you've finished. Thank them for the use of the nice clean floor.

downsc123

Reaction score
How about telling the dealership not having a diesel tech does not prevent them from taking their own sample when you change oil an sending it in to a lab of there choice, they then will have their own record of the oil contamination for your truck for warranty and you can have peace of mind your not doing more damage to the engine, also tell them by taking there own sample now will speed up things when they get a new diesel tech...
I did just that - they said they would have to talk to the service manager and get back to me - not holding my breath

downsc123

Reaction score
Pull it into the service drop off bay with all your oil change stuff. Hand them the sample bottle when you've finished. Thank them for the use of the nice clean floor.
LOL - I have a drain valve installed and offered to pull up and have them watch me draw a sample or have them do it real quick - that for some reason was a no go but I am hoping for a different answer when the service manager calls back (if he ever does)

19Ram2500.Mega

Reaction score
Following. Been dealing with the same issue for two years and getting the runaround. So far over 158 days in the shop and 14 trips for the same thing. Noticed my oil level is constantly rising as the truck Regensburg every 30 miles or so.

dub96

Reaction score
This all makes me want to put my truck on a diet! Is there even anyone you can trust anymore to purchase working programs from or are they all just scams?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Following. Been dealing with the same issue for two years and getting the runaround. So far over 158 days in the shop and 14 trips for the same thing. Noticed my oil level is constantly rising as the truck Regensburg every 30 miles or so.
What all has your dealer done to try and determine the cause thus far?

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have a 2019 cab and chaise 4500 with 28K it goes about 600 + miles between regens I also have a 2020 3500 mega cab and about the same 600 -700 miles between regens.

19Ram2500.Mega

Reaction score
Short of blaming me for driving habits and doing my own oil changes, they have replaced the dpf, the air filter, the injectors, the fuel pump, the def system, catalytic converter, etc. Usually, they just do a manual regen, drive it and hand it back. As long as the light isn't on, the cases are closed and I get the truck back. Usually about a week later the light is back on for regen frequency. I asked stellantis not to close cases until I am able to drive it for a few days, but they wont.

I have been blamed for overfilling the oil, which I didn't. As stated, my motor appears to be "making oil". If I drain it back to the middle of the "safe" zone on the dipstick, it is back past full by the end of the day (i measure my oil levels after the truck has sat all night). I changed the oil a week ago and have verified and documented that exact thing three times.

I asked for them to run an oil analysis, but they aren't sure it is necessary.

I feel as though there is a much larger issue going on that the company doesn't really want to address it. My problems began around 20k miles, I'm now at 64k and it has never been resolved.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Short of blaming me for driving habits and doing my own oil changes, they have replaced the dpf, the air filter, the injectors, the fuel pump, the def system, catalytic converter, etc. Usually, they just do a manual regen, drive it and hand it back. As long as the light isn't on, the cases are closed and I get the truck back. Usually about a week later the light is back on for regen frequency. I asked stellantis not to close cases until I am able to drive it for a few days, but they wont.

I have been blamed for overfilling the oil, which I didn't. As stated, my motor appears to be "making oil". If I drain it back to the middle of the "safe" zone on the dipstick, it is back past full by the end of the day (i measure my oil levels after the truck has sat all night). I changed the oil a week ago and have verified and documented that exact thing three times.

I feel as though there is a much larger issue going on that the company doesn't really want to address it. My problems began around 20k miles, I'm now at 64k and it has never been resolved.
If your truck is “refilling” the crankcase half way in one day, and you’ve driven it this way for 44k, I’d hate to see what kind of scoring and bearing damage you have going on internally. Unbelievable you’ve not scattered something by now.

19Ram2500.Mega

Reaction score
If your truck is “refilling” the crankcase half way in one day, and you’ve driven it this way for 44k, I’d hate to see what kind of scoring and bearing damage you have going on internally. Unbelievable you’ve not scattered something by now.
Pictures are before and after driving the car for one hour and letting it sit overnight.

I'm a tad concerned as well, regarding damage that may have been caused while being handed back my truck with said issue, and being told to drive it harder.

Attachments

• 20240514_114810.jpg
    20240514_114810.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240515_073949.jpg
    20240515_073949.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 21

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
It’s unbelievable that the dealer network treats customers this way and RamCares is pretty worthless. 60-100k trucks with these issues and almost no care in the world to correct them. My father in law had a low mile Sierra 1500 with the lifter issue causing an engine light and miss. They fixed it problem solved but he didn’t like that it might come back. Because he wasn’t thrilled and worried, GM bought it back no questions asked with only that one issue. I was surprised but nice to see a company do that. He right away bought a new Buick because they took care of him. Stellantis doesn’t make any great products- their cars except for maybe the HDs and wranglers are junk in my opinion. They don’t take care of customers it’s really a downhill spiral

Last edited:

56ram2500

Reaction score

Is there a reason why have you not done a UOA your self before now????? FYI a Fleetguard UOA kit with TBN is like $26 at Genos Garage, I think it would be a bit hard for the dealer to claim that a Cummins approved lab didn't know how to do UOA's or are not accurate: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fleetguard-oil-analysis-kit-cc2543/oil-filters

19Ram2500.Mega

Reaction score
Is there a reason why have you not done a UOA your self before now????? FYI a Fleetguard UOA kit with TBN is like $26 at Genos Garage, I think it would be a bit hard for the dealer to claim that a Cummins approved lab didn't know how to do UOA's or are not accurate: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/fleetguard-oil-analysis-kit-cc2543/oil-filters
I had thought the dealership/stellantis would have tested said items, but apparently they just throw parts at things and want you to go away.

They seemed shocked when I asked for a printout of all things pertaining to my vehicle.

I'm ordering a kit as we speak and draining a sample into a Mason jar prior to dropping my truck off on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread