Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cameras

Dlleno

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a breakdown/progression of of the camera systems offered by RAM, starting in 2019 model year. For example, when did the tailgate cam switch from an analog camera to digital (FAKRA based, I believe, for the surround view system)? I'm also aware that the digital rear-view mirror was introduced in 2021, correct?

thanks!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a breakdown/progression of of the camera systems offered by RAM, starting in 2019 model year. For example, when did the tailgate cam switch from an analog camera to digital (FAKRA based, I believe, for the surround view system)? I'm also aware that the digital rear-view mirror was introduced in 2021, correct?

thanks!
Starting in 2019 on the HD Rams, the backup camera in the tailgate is digital, sending it’s signal to the radio via coax cable with fakra connectors. This is for both, the standard park view backup camera, and the backup camera used on the surround view system. The standard digital backup camera is different than the backup camera used for the surround view system, and while they are both digital, neither one are interchangeable- ie.- the surround view processing module can’t process the image of the standard park view camera, and the radio can’t process the image of a surround view backup camera that is plugged straight into it (without going through the processing module).
All of the digital cameras used for the surround view system, including the cargo view camera, are identical.
If the truck is NOT equipped with surround view, but IS equipped with a cargo view camera, then the cargo camera is the standard 6-wire analog camera that’s been used since 2014.
The digital rear view mirror was introduced for 2021. It directly receives input from it’s own rear facing digital camera mounted in the CHMSL (completely different than the cargo view camera). That digital camera will only work for the rear view mirror display. The surround view digital cameras, or the regular backup camera will not work on the rear view mirror display, and the rear view mirror’s digital camera won’t work as a regular backup camera or surround view camera.
For 2022, they added a second digital camera input to the digital rear view mirror. It is for the optional wired tow mode camera, and when it is plugged in, you can toggle between the two views on the mirror.

Dlleno

Reaction score
Nice thank you. So from 2021. Two digital cameras live in the chmsl. One for cargo view with zoom and the other for the digital rear view mirror

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Nice thank you. So from 2021. Two digital cameras live in the chmsl. One for cargo view with zoom and the other for the digital rear view mirror
If it has both the digital rear view mirror and surround view options, yes.

tombell

Reaction score
I looked for a correct topic and this seemed a good spot to post without creating a new topic...

Is there anywhere I could have a cable made for the tailgate/backup camera?
I have a 2022 Laramie 2500.
I bought a relocation kit from camerasource.com since I'll be removing my tailgate when my camper is installed.
I tested it this weekend and it works fit, however, they gave me about 15 feet of cable and I need just a foot or two at the most.
They do not offer custom cable lengths.
Suggestions for sourcing custom or shorter cable lengths?

Shorty

Reaction score
I also have the Rostra camera relocation kit that I purchased from MNR Electronics. I emailed Rostra about a custom length cable & received no reply. I called them and spoke with a rep. as I wanted a longer cable for our 2 horse trailer. He told me, "buy 2 cables". I told him I need a couple feet longer than 2 cables and he said, "buy 3." He was short on words and wouldn't comment on a special length.
At any rate, if someone needs an extra cable for the kit, they are $89.95 from MNR and they emailed me they are in stk.
I tried unsuccessfully to find the ends buy themselves through Mouser and a couple other sites. The cable seems like basic small diameter coax.
If anyone finds the male/female ends please let us know.
The part #'s on the ends that I can read using my 65 year old eyes & a magnifying glass:
Male: 59Z176-C01
Female: 59Z163-003
BTW: MNR was the cheapest on the Rostra kit.
-John

ends.jpg

Dwight2180

Reaction score
I looked for a correct topic and this seemed a good spot to post without creating a new topic...

Is there anywhere I could have a cable made for the tailgate/backup camera?
I have a 2022 Laramie 2500.
I bought a relocation kit from camerasource.com since I'll be removing my tailgate when my camper is installed.
I tested it this weekend and it works fit, however, they gave me about 15 feet of cable and I need just a foot or two at the most.
They do not offer custom cable lengths.
Suggestions for sourcing custom or shorter cable lengths?
Do you have the 360 cameras? Have you hooked this up yet to see how it works? I need a second camera setup for the bumper when the tailgate is off.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I also have the Rostra camera relocation kit that I purchased from MNR Electronics. I emailed Rostra about a custom length cable & received no reply. I called them and spoke with a rep. as I wanted a longer cable for our 2 horse trailer. He told me, "buy 2 cables". I told him I need a couple feet longer than 2 cables and he said, "buy 3." He was short on words and wouldn't comment on a special length.
At any rate, if someone needs an extra cable for the kit, they are $89.95 from MNR and they emailed me they are in stk.
I tried unsuccessfully to find the ends buy themselves through Mouser and a couple other sites. The cable seems like basic small diameter coax.
If anyone finds the male/female ends please let us know.
The part #'s on the ends that I can read using my 65 year old eyes & a magnifying glass:
Male: 59Z176-C01
Female: 59Z163-003
BTW: MNR was the cheapest on the Rostra kit.
-John

View attachment 31053

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's normally a $10 fakra-z cable from Amazon.

Shorty

Reaction score
Actually it worked out great. I hadn't ordered the $89 cable & saw your reply. Got the one you mentioned above off Amazon. Didn't look like the ends would match up, but they clicked right in. $11 delivered. Thanks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually it worked out great. I hadn't ordered the $89 cable & saw your reply. Got the one you mentioned above off Amazon. Didn't look like the ends would match up, but they clicked right in. $11 delivered. Thanks.

Fakra-Z is generic and will connect to any other Fakra-? cable.

BTW, I learn a lot of this stuff from @Jimmy07 , follow him around and you'll be amazed.

Uabmedic200

Reaction score
Hello. The obligatory apology if this has been covered, for I’m unable to find it. But, I have 2022 Laramie 2500 with 12” screen. Does not have surround cams, does have backup cam. My CHMSL is the standard halogen unit. My question, can I add the OEM cargo cam LED CHMSL? Does anyone know if it’s prewired and if so, will the Uconnect recognize it? Any help/direction/part#s would be a huge help. And while I’m asking, the bigger ask would be, can the digital rear view mirror and the dual cam LED CHMSL be added? Surround cam would be nice as well but again, not sure if the truck is prewired and Uconnect recognition blah blah. I just really hate the old halogen CHMSL look and I haven’t found any suitable replacements aftermarket but would really love the OEM LED. AGAIN, thank you in advance for any info you could share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Hello. The obligatory apology if this has been covered, for I’m unable to find it. But, I have 2022 Laramie 2500 with 12” screen. Does not have surround cams, does have backup cam. My CHMSL is the standard halogen unit. My question, can I add the OEM cargo cam LED CHMSL? Does anyone know if it’s prewired and if so, will the Uconnect recognize it? Any help/direction/part#s would be a huge help. And while I’m asking, the bigger ask would be, can the digital rear view mirror and the dual cam LED CHMSL be added? Surround cam would be nice as well but again, not sure if the truck is prewired and Uconnect recognition blah blah. I just really hate the old halogen CHMSL look and I haven’t found any suitable replacements aftermarket but would really love the OEM LED. AGAIN, thank you in advance for any info you could share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm interested in this answer as well.

Lootawi

Reaction score
Starting in 2019 on the HD Rams, the backup camera in the tailgate is digital, sending it’s signal to the radio via coax cable with fakra connectors. This is for both, the standard park view backup camera, and the backup camera used on the surround view system. The standard digital backup camera is different than the backup camera used for the surround view system, and while they are both digital, neither one are interchangeable- ie.- the surround view processing module can’t process the image of the standard park view camera, and the radio can’t process the image of a surround view backup camera that is plugged straight into it (without going through the processing module).
All of the digital cameras used for the surround view system, including the cargo view camera, are identical.
If the truck is NOT equipped with surround view, but IS equipped with a cargo view camera, then the cargo camera is the standard 6-wire analog camera that’s been used since 2014.
The digital rear view mirror was introduced for 2021. It directly receives input from it’s own rear facing digital camera mounted in the CHMSL (completely different than the cargo view camera). That digital camera will only work for the rear view mirror display. The surround view digital cameras, or the regular backup camera will not work on the rear view mirror display, and the rear view mirror’s digital camera won’t work as a regular backup camera or surround view camera.
For 2022, they added a second digital camera input to the digital rear view mirror. It is for the optional wired tow mode camera, and when it is plugged in, you can toggle between the two views on the mirror.

Hello Jimmy, what exactly do i need to add digital rear view mirror + Camera and the Optional Wired tow mode camera,

I have a 2020 RAM LARAMIE Cummins 3500 SRW, with 12” Uconnect and a 360 cam, with side view cams and cargo cam.

Thank You in advance.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hello Jimmy, what exactly do i need to add digital rear view mirror + Camera and the Optional Wired tow mode camera,

I have a 2020 RAM LARAMIE Cummins 3500 SRW, with 12” Uconnect and a 360 cam, with side view cams and cargo cam.

Thank You in advance.
The only reasonable way to get a FACTORY digital rear view mirror to work on a pre-2021 ram is to “slave in” a spare 2021+ body computer from a wrecked truck (you wouldn’t be replacing your existing BCM, but rather, use it as a separate entity just to turn on the mirror). Other than that, the 2022 digital mirror, CHMSL with mirror camera, the 2022 wired tow mode camera kit, and a few RG58 fakra coax cables.

Lootawi

Reaction score
The only reasonable way to get a FACTORY digital rear view mirror to work on a pre-2021 ram is to “slave in” a spare 2021+ body computer from a wrecked truck (you wouldn’t be replacing your existing BCM, but rather, use it as a separate entity just to turn on the mirror). Other than that, the 2022 digital mirror, CHMSL with mirror camera, the 2022 wired tow mode camera kit, and a few RG58 fakra coax cables.

This sounds like a hassle tbh

Rakkasan187

Reaction score
I just purchased 2022 tradesman 3500 C&C and had them them mount a OEM camera on the headache rack on the flat bed. The picture quality is horrible and it is very dark. Here is a picture of the camera which I believe is the analog style. I’m not sure how the cab & chassis are pre wired for cameras.
3B993579-8405-460B-81B7-8559009CC1AA.jpeg1F05CE9F-3EF7-4978-80BC-FDA9DB3FE9D2.jpeg

UglyViking

Reaction score
I just purchased 2022 tradesman 3500 C&C and had them them mount a OEM camera on the headache rack on the flat bed. The picture quality is horrible and it is very dark. Here is a picture of the camera which I believe is the analog style. I’m not sure how the cab & chassis are pre wired for cameras.
View attachment 43249View attachment 43250
The fit/finish of their mount plus the countersunk bolts, lack of plastic cap, I would have been pissed to pay for that.

henrys

Reaction score
Which part number do I need to order to get my backup camera working when the tail gate is removed on my 2022? I've tried both 68417514AA and 68448640AA and all I get is a blue screen when I put the truck into reverse. I do have the digital rear view mirror package but I don't really need a $700 camera for towing at this time so I was hoping I could get the backup camera working with the tail gate removed fairly inexpensively.

Users who are viewing this thread