Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm loving these Suma mirrors . Put them on Friday before Christmas and just got back from a 600 mile trip to the beach pulling a 42 foot fifth wheel.
It was the first time I was able to back into the campsite on the first try and also the storage shed at home on the first try with this truck.

View attachment 67314View attachment 67315View attachment 67316View attachment 67317View attachment 67318
If those pics show what you see in the mirrors from your drivers seat then they’re aimed way off. Your main side mirrors should have at the most a tiny sliver of your truck visible in them, but preferably none at all.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
I know people are already on here raving about the Suma mirrors, but I put the passenger side on my Truck just before Christmas, and wow. I can just see so much better and backup out of parking spots, etc is just so much easier and safer. I haven't found a downside yet.. The install was a bit frustrating but ok.

I haven't done the drive side yet since I don't see the need.

Christofo

Reaction score
Hmm.. mine showed up and the BSM indicator is different than what was previously posted in this thread and doesn't match OEM. I'm not digging that, as I was only going to install the passenger side and it's going to annoy me not having them match. (OEM is the triangle)

IMG_3732.jpeg

Andersen24

Reaction score
Well I had mine on for five months and two days………I took them off today. If you are just daily driving with them, they are great - BUT if you tow a lot with them, they are the worst thing ever. You literally have ZERO depth perception when you back up. So now I am back running in moose mode the whole time, but at least I don’t look like a beginner anymore backing up.

snayte

Reaction score
Well I had mine on for five months and two days………I took them off today. If you are just daily driving with them, they are great - BUT if you tow a lot with them, they are the worst thing ever. You literally have ZERO depth perception when you back up. So now I am back running in moose mode the whole time, but at least I don’t look like a beginner anymore backing up.
See I am the opposite. I cannot back the trailer with the stock mirrors because the field of.view is so limited and the stock convex is just too small for my old eyes. Someone mentioned on here having a suma mirror that replaces both mirrors and I would be totally down with that.

Andersen24

Reaction score
See I am the opposite. I cannot back the trailer with the stock mirrors because the field of.view is so limited and the stock convex is just too small for my old eyes. Someone mentioned on here having a suma mirror that replaces both mirrors and I would be totally down with that.
That’s what I had were the Suma mirrors. For daily driving the are awesome, but towing my 30’ toy hauler or my dump trailer with my JCB 1CXT in it, makes it impossible to know where your corners are. But for anyone that does 95% driving the truck without towing - they’ll LOVE them! Great product, but for me, as much as I tow, not a fan.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That was me and yep, that would be one awesome mirror. I’m like you as far as backing the trailers, the factory was useless without first adjusting it for said backing and returning it to the previous position for pulling away and really..it was lousy for both imo.
The worst was steep boat ramps where the lil’ boat would drop out of view in the factory mirror, had to adjust three times for that backing ordeal….never make use of moose period, trailer or not it’s a bizarre view.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
This is why flat mirrors are mandated by law on 10k+ GVWR vehicles: so you have accurate gauge of distances with a trailer.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Jeez guys, my wife can back the empty boat trailer using the stock mirrors.

LOL.
A boat trailer is one thing, but try backing an empty 5’ wide flatbed utility trailer behind a box truck. By the time you can see it it’s already turned too far!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
A boat trailer is one thing, but try backing an empty 5’ wide flatbed utility trailer behind a box truck. By the time you can see it it’s already turned too far!

LOL, the boat trailer jackknifes like a Fkn Jack Russell Terrier on meth.

Ask my tailgate how I know (so the wife isn't perfect at backing after all.)

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That’s what I had were the Suma mirrors. For daily driving the are awesome, but towing my 30’ toy hauler or my dump trailer with my JCB 1CXT in it, makes it impossible to know where your corners are. But for anyone that does 95% driving the truck without towing - they’ll LOVE them! Great product, but for me, as much as I tow, not a fan.
Driving the work truck today which has a passenger convex mirror and checking, I can see how when pulling something truly long…judging depth back there could be a PITA. A ways past the back of the truck and stuff gets wonky.
The longest things I pull are a 14’ travel trailer or the 14” aluminum boat, sometimes the boat behind the trailer in which case I can’t see the boat at all.
So, the replacement glass is fine here. The wider field of view makes them worth using full time.

Christofo

Reaction score
I think there has to be a big variance in the OEM mirrors. My OEM mirrors sucked when backing up my 36ft trailer. Backing with the Suma is WAY easier for me. I can actually see with it.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I think there has to be a big variance in the OEM mirrors. My OEM mirrors sucked when backing up my 36ft trailer. Backing with the Suma is WAY easier for me. I can actually see with it.
A flat mirror is a flat mirror. The difference is all in proper or improper aiming of them. As has been mentioned here before, the vast majority of drivers have been taught to aim their mirrors incorrectly.

Christofo

Reaction score
A flat mirror is a flat mirror. The difference is all in proper or improper aiming of them. As has been mentioned here before, the vast majority of drivers have been taught to aim their mirrors incorrectly.
I know how to aim a mirror - what i'm saying is there must be some poor quality control at the factory in how flat they actually are.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I know how to aim a mirror - what i'm saying is there must be some poor quality control at the factory in how flat they actually are.
They’re all exactly the same. Flat is flat. Glass is flat by default unless you do something special to make it not flat.

Users who are viewing this thread