Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog light for 2019 Tradesman

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

MoparMom

Reaction score
But you're talented, Rockcrawlerdude. Some of us old geezers just want plug and play. Looks like great work on your part, too, btw.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
But you're talented, Rockcrawlerdude. Some of us old geezers just want plug and play. Looks like great work on your part, too, btw.
Plug and play is great!
I’m lazy and cheap.
Mine are wired into my parking lights circuit so they’re automatic with the headlights and stay on with high beams. Fuse and relay protects the trucks factory circuits hopefully.

copcarguy

Reaction score
Plug and play is great!
I’m lazy and cheap.
Mine are wired into my parking lights circuit so they’re automatic with the headlights and stay on with high beams. Fuse and relay protects the trucks factory circuits hopefully.
I used the cab clearance light fuse as the 12V point to trigger the relay for my fogs…

Attachments

• 2B6A4B1D-461B-4695-9855-4D982AB745FD.jpeg
    2B6A4B1D-461B-4695-9855-4D982AB745FD.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 56

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Guess what I am doing tonight? :)

I do have one question. I didn't see where or how people are mounting their Diode Dynamics SST lights.... Do you mount them to the bracket first, and then install the bracket on the truck???

I wanted to get the LED ones but then I just love how the bigger square lights look. I thought about maybe even buying the factory light and throwing a Lasfit switch back in them...

Any pointers would be great on installing the light in the bracket.

Those side nuts are a PITA to get off and on!! WOW! Thankfully they are just a little bit more than finger-tight!

I have the bezel's swapped out and tomorrow I'll figure out which light I want to use.

Attachments

• 20220804_165049.jpg
    20220804_165049.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 42

Linked4door

Reaction score

I do have one question. I didn't see where or how people are mounting their Diode Dynamics SST lights.... Do you mount them to the bracket first, and then install the bracket on the truck???

I wanted to get the LED ones but then I just love how the bigger square lights look. I thought about maybe even buying the factory light and throwing a Lasfit switch back in them...

Those side nuts are a PITA to get off and on!! WOW! Thankfully they are just a little bit more than finger-tight!

I have the bezel's swapped out and tomorrow I'll figure out which light I want to use.
Did you buy a kit or just the light pods? If you bought the kit, it will come with their bracket that mounts the pod to the factory bracket. See attached pic. If you bought the ods by them selves you will need to get the brackets.

DD light mounts to their bracket. That assembly then mounts to the factory bracket in your pic. That whole assembly mounts behind the factory bezel that bolts to the bumper. I used a ratchet wrench for one of the bolts on each side I couldn't fit my Milwaukee 1/4 drive ratchet. It's pretty straight forward.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-010922_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805-010922_Brave.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score

Mount the bezel, mount the lights into the adapters and then mount the whole thing into the bumper. If you drill a hole into the factory fog light mount you can get to the side allen bolt on the diode dynamics a lot easier.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Did you buy a kit or just the light pods? If you bought the kit, it will come with their bracket that mounts the pod to the factory bracket. See attached pic. If you bought the ods by themselves you will need to get the brackets.

DD light mounts to their bracket. That assembly then mounts to the factory bracket in your pic. That whole assembly mounts behind the factory bezel that bolts to the bumper. I used a ratchet wrench for one of the bolts on each side I couldn't fit my Milwaukee 1/4 drive ratchet. It's pretty straightforward.

I had some Pods from my previous truck that I will use in for the time being. I do want to use the SST Lights down the road. Do you know if you can buy just those brackets separately ? I can't seem to find it.

Linked4door

Reaction score
They used
I had some Pods from my previous truck that I will use in for the time being. I do want to use the SST Lights down the road. Do you know if you can buy just those brackets separately ? I can't seem to find it.
They used to sell them for $10 to $20 for just the brackets. I can't find it anymore for some reason. I can only seem to find there kit for about $100

Try giving them a call, there customer service is outstanding. Alternatively, if you look at the bottom of the page there is a HUGE list of vehicles that use the same bracket. You could grab some from a junkyard or used online for cheap and modify them to fit your pods.

You could also call Baja designs and see if you can get the bracket from them,. There mounting point is closer to the bottom of the bracket to fit the bolt pattern of their lights.

el_barto

Reaction score
Anyone try out the Diode Dynamics “elite” series fog lamps? Rated lumens/candelas is equivalent/ a bit lower than their SS3 Sports, but still impressive output and a superior cutoff which is less likely to cause glare for other drivers.

vzar47a

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the OEM led lights and something like BD SAE lights. I am starting from scratch, and am looking at something like a $250 difference between OEM and Baja.

Seems like most people who swap out the OEM leds are going for something beyond SAE, and I am sure it's a huge difference. I want to stick with SAE, so for those of you that swapped out the OEM for Baja SAEs, was it a significant difference?

I like the cornering light function that comes with OEM. For those of you who installed non-OEM lights, does the cornering function still work with your lights? Seems like it should, since there is only one power wire going into the OEMs. So if it worked before a swap, it should work after, right?

Linked4door

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the OEM led lights and something like BD SAE lights. I am starting from scratch, and am looking at something like a $250 difference between OEM and Baja.

Seems like most people who swap out the OEM leds are going for something beyond SAE, and I am sure it's a huge difference. I want to stick with SAE, so for those of you that swapped out the OEM for Baja SAEs, was it a significant difference?

I like the cornering light function that comes with OEM. For those of you who installed non-OEM lights, does the cornering function still work with your lights? Seems like it should, since there is only one power wire going into the OEMs. So if it worked before a swap, it should work after, right?
I went from the oem led fogs to the Diode dynamics ss3's (pro with sae fog in yellow) and couldn't be happier. You can buy and swap the lens betwen white/amber and sae, como, ect. I had originally ordered the BD lights but issues with my order and poor customer service from the vendor I ordered from I went with the DD lights. Lighting is subjective, but IMO the DD are drastically brighter than oem straight a head.

While my cornering feature still works, them oem do have an advantage here due to having a much wider side angle. So the oem LED is is brighter on the far sides of the road.

Attachments

• 20211229_182901.jpg
    20211229_182901.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211229_185725.jpg
    20211229_185725.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 49

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
That looks good Linked4door!

Someone had a set of those factory longer lights for sale in my area. They were $50 and I asked about them, then 4 days later he said they were sold.

I just ordered a set of these to replace my LED Pods. They are spot and they are not ideal for highway usage.

These are at least DOT so hopefully, I can use them without getting flashed all the time.

eljefe

Reaction score
I purchased a set of OEM fogs, then the appropriate OEM light switch; also purchased the OEM wiring harness. Had to purchase the OBD jumper to bypass the 5th Gen OBD. It was a full day PITA. Be sure to have a second set of hands. But glad I did it.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
I totally wanted to do this as well. Was it a PITA to get the wire in the pin on the BCM? I hear it's not plug in play but some work.
I am still thinking about going this route!

Have a parts list?

eljefe

Reaction score
Here is everything you need. Yes, major PITA but worth it I thought.

vzar47a

Reaction score
Didn't see it earlier in the thread, what size wire do you use for the BCM pins? Data sheet for the pin says it takes 18-20 AWG, but I'm wondering if 16 would work?

Users who are viewing this thread