Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Blind Spot Monitoring

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Does this mean I can add BSM by swapping just the tail lights, and not mess with the mirrors? I'm a little leery of disassembling the door panel, and I'm ok with only relying on the chime to tell me something is in the bindspot. If I have the option to install it without mirrors, I can always decide later if I want to swap out the mirrors.
You can definitely do the tail lights only and just have the chime, but you’re really cutting out the main feature of BSM. You only get the chime after you activate a turn signal with someone in your blindspot, whereas with the indicators you would probably never even put yourself in the situation where the BSM needs to chime at you.

Removing the door panels is a lot easier than it sounds. Popping off the mirror glass is harder than removing the door panels, and even that is pretty easy.

vzar47a

Reaction score
You can definitely do the tail lights only and just have the chime, but you’re really cutting out the main feature of BSM. You only get the chime after you activate a turn signal with someone in your blindspot, whereas with the indicators you would probably never even put yourself in the situation where the BSM needs to chime at you.

Removing the door panels is a lot easier than it sounds. Popping off the mirror glass is harder than removing the door panels, and even that is pretty easy.
Well, I popped the driver side mirror out to see if I have any wiring for the BSM indicator, and just to see how hard it is. Now, I can't get it back in and don't want to break it. What's the trick in getting the glass to pop back in?

vzar47a

Reaction score
Well, I popped the driver side mirror out to see if I have any wiring for the BSM indicator, and just to see how hard it is. Now, I can't get it back in and don't want to break it. What's the trick in getting the glass to pop back in?
Trick: just push really hard in the center of the mirror, it will pop back in before it breaks!

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
The door panel takes 1 minute to take off, the mirror glass is tricky

vzar47a

Reaction score
The door panel takes 1 minute to take off, the mirror glass is tricky
I have a 2020 2500 Tradesman. Door panel has 7 metal screws around the perimeter. I have seen parts diagrams that suggest that there is an 8th screw hidden behind a small piece of plastic that I pop off by the handle. Take off all the screws, and then pull up on the panel to release it? I think I have read that getting it back on might take some fussing to make sure that whatever catches there are on the panel engage the door properly? Looked for videos for taking my panel off, didn’t find any.

All this will wait on finding a good set of used lights, I can’t swing $1000 on the lights alone at this point.

vzar47a

Reaction score
Another question: does adding the BSM function also enable rear cross path detection?

vzar47a

Reaction score
Slowly assembling parts to do this. Looking at the difference between mirror glass with and without the warning led. I have to wonder if it is possible to just add an led to the existing mirror glass. Aside from the fact that the glass for both sides is now over $130, I don't like the idea of replacing perfectly good glass if I am able to modify it instead. The leds (either 12v or 5v versions) can be had for $10, and the mirror backing can be thoughtfully removed. Just would need to figure out how to mount the leds to the glass - they are probably glued on?

soaped22

Reaction score
Just did the body harness portion of the install. Most of the pictures posted earlier in this thread were extremely helpful. Here are some more pictures and notes that will hopefully help.

If you are going to remove the fender retainers for more room, here is the part number in case they snap off, which they probably will - 6506293AA. Amazon has some generic ones for much cheaper than the corresponding Mopar part.

Front left driver wheel well behind the fender liner. The harness plug can be removed off the body by sticking a trim tool or flat head at the location pictured below and pulling down.
IMG_3461.jpgIMG_3462.jpg

Looking up from the wheel well, there is an accessory nub you can cut off under the main harness that will give you easy access into the cab. I used some electrical tape to combine the harness with a dull coat hanger and some dielectric grease to pull the harness through. Another option is to use the clutch/manual block off plate which is also easily accessible from the inside. After you pull and finish/route the wires, make sure you zip tie the nub and/or use some sealant or electrical tape to protect. If you're going to piggy back off the main harness make sure you use the nub. I don't recommend cutting the cowl around the main body harness. The harness grommet is double walled and if you accidentally cut part of the main harness by poking holes you'll have to take all of it apart in order to find what you cut.
IMG_3460.jpg

Another picture looking from above. block off plate on left, nub with wire pulled through on right.
IMG_3469.jpg

vzar47a

Reaction score
Ah gotcha.

This will be on the lower end of $1,000 from start to finish for a diy.

3 BSM Harnesses (left and right mirror glass and one Body control module) provided by @Jimmy07
68401394AA Mirror Replacement Glass, Right
68401395AA Mirror Replacement Glass, Left
68446840AE Tail Lamp, Right
68446841AE Tail Lamp, Left
(Quantity 2) 68396013AB Jumper Wiring
AlphaOBD
Security module bypass provided by KAOdTECH
And some type of OBD link that supports AlphaOBD I personally went with OBDLinkMX+ but there are other potentially cheaper options.

Word of warning when you go to replace the tail light harnesses with the "Jumper Wiring" I ended up breaking the old harness clip on the passenger side due to body metal being in the way and how the tail light comes off. If I need to remove the passenger tail light again I'll end up having to break the new harness. You may not run into that issue, but just so you are aware...
Same thing here. That tail light connector sticks out too far to allow you to slide the assembly onto the plastic pins. Had to first insert pins to assembly, then push the whole thing into place. Not clear how you get that apart next time ....

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
If you do enough of them it gets easy!

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Hard to explain, easy to show, we were adapting those years ago, just need to be gentle, sometimes it's easier to do by feel

vzar47a

Reaction score
Decided not to mess with mirrors, added led marker lights to the mirror flag. Dimmed it a bit with a 1.2k resistor.

Hardest part was finding used taillights for a reasonable price. Everything else was a breeze, thanks to the help found here!PXL_20221120_182641301.jpg

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
You have the triangles in the mirrors but blind spot is not installed?

….orange triangles were lighting up in the mirrors while on the interstate, had never noticed it before she said something. If it is the blind spot thing, I think it doesn’t do it with the trailer hooked up. We didn’t have the trailer Saturday for once and saw it.

Last edited:

vzar47a

Reaction score
That is the blind spot monitor (BSM). Do you gave a 5th wheel? BSM is disabled (maybe automatically?) when a 5th wheel is hooked up because it interferes with the sensors in the taillights.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
That is the blind spot monitor (BSM). Do you gave a 5th wheel? BSM is disabled (maybe automatically?) when a 5th wheel is hooked up because it interferes with the sensors in the taillights.

No..just a lil’ bumper pull travel trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread