Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

el_barto

Reaction score
I’ve had my ARE V-series about a year and a half now. A couple of thoughts/opinions:

- I’m still not totally sold on the outdoorsman windoors. This truck is so tall I can’t reach much with the windoors and have only used them a couple times. If I were to do it again I’d get the regular side windows.
- I got the tilt down front picture window. It’s useful for cleaning the glass. I might consider the tilt down front window with the slider if I were to do it over so I could reach thru to the cab when camping…in practice I’m not sure how useful this would be…would I really want to leave the cab rear window open to let weather in? If not I’d have to get out, go in the cab, close the window.
- I probably would have gone with the MX for a couple extra inches of vertical clearance…this would make it much easier to put bikes in the back vertically.
- The “contour panel” that seals the rear glass with the rounded tailgate has cracked in multiple spots from thermal expansion/contraction at a different rate than the aluminum frame and the glass. Fortunately the topper dealer was easy to work with and has ordered a free replacement…hopefully they redesigned it so it doesn’t fail again in another year.
-The fit around the tailgate corners isn’t good…I can see daylight thru it. I need to get some foam/weatherstripping and seal this, and the tailgate, up a bit better for cold/wet weather camping since that’s where some water gets in/where the cold gets in.

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
- I’m still not totally sold on the outdoorsman windoors. This truck is so tall I can’t reach much with the windoors and have only used them a couple times. If I were to do it again I’d get the regular side windows.
Yeah, they're definitely only beneficial for those tall enough to take advantage. I use mine almost every time I drive it, but my wife and most of the friends we travel with are all too short (though that is nice at times when I am the only one who can unload and then hand everything off to others).

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’ve had my ARE V-series about a year and a half now. A couple of thoughts/opinions:

- I got the tilt down front picture window. It’s useful for cleaning the glass. I might consider the tilt down front window with the slider if I were to do it over so I could reach thru to the cab when camping…in practice I’m not sure how useful this would be…would I really want to leave the cab rear window open to let weather in? If not I’d have to get out, go in the cab, close the window.
- I probably would have gone with the MX for a couple extra inches of vertical clearance…this would make it much easier to put bikes in the back vertically.
- The “contour panel” that seals the rear glass with the rounded tailgate has cracked in multiple spots from thermal expansion/contraction at a different rate than the aluminum frame and the glass. Fortunately the topper dealer was easy to work with and has ordered a free replacement…hopefully they redesigned it so it doesn’t fail again in another year.
-The fit around the tailgate corners isn’t good…I can see daylight thru it. I need to get some foam/weatherstripping and seal this, and the tailgate, up a bit better for cold/wet weather camping since that’s where some water gets in/where the cold gets in.
I’ve had my ARE overland series 2 years in may and I have some of the same observations.

I ordered the fold down window with slider but I received a fold down solid window. At the time I was upset about it and I was only refunded the cost of the option which was very insignificant. But, I’ve never once folded down the window and I’ve never wanted to open the slider yet, either.

I got sliding side windows with screens and I’m very happy with them. Only complaint is cargo can rub the screen and damage them but that’s not really the toppers fault.

Rear corners around the tailgate don’t fit/seal well. I think I need to unclamp the top and maybe try to “pull” the sides in a little. I feel like the rear corners have walked their way out a little. It’s possible that it’s always been that way. I’ll add pics of what I mean.

My splash lip / contour panel that covers the top of the tailgate is rubbing the paint and I didn’t notice until it had already worn the paint a bit. I never did anything about it, though. The lip itself is still in good shape on mine, must’ve gotten a different batch than you.

Overall I will definitely be a topper guy for life. I am super happy with owning a topper. ARE I could take it or leave it; the experience with the dealer wasn’t great. It was dead center of the pandemic so I’m not really sure how to judge it. Next go-round I would still consider ARE but probably not that dealer, I guess.

The decked system I’m still on the fence. It’s super handy to have but there are big trade offs

jsalbre

Reaction score
My splash lip / contour panel that covers the top of the tailgate is rubbing the paint and I didn’t notice until it had already worn the paint a bit. I never did anything about it, though. The lip itself is still in good shape on mine, must’ve gotten a different batch than you.

When I had a Leer on my 2020 I had the same thing happen. I ended up using some touch up paint on the damaged areas, and then putting 3M paint protection film over the entire area from that top “bend” up and underneath the edge of the plastic tailgate cap. I wish I’d done that beforehand, but I had no idea wit would sand the paint off like it did.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I had a traditional fiberglass topper before my current Smartcap. My observations mirror @LateToTheParty and @Rockcrawlerdude mostly. I had a Leer 100RCC I got used from a guy on Expo portal who happened to be down in NY, and we mat at a cap dealer to swap it over.
  • I had the "windoors" as Leer calls them. They were amazing but even being on the taller side (6'1") with long arms, it was tricky digging for stuff. I think partially because these trucks are tall stock, then you add a a small lift (1" rear coils) and 37s and it's even taller. I think if I had a decked or some other dedicated storage it would be much more useful, but even as it was, I found myself using them often. Only downside was two locks per window, also the case with the Smartcap though. The slider with screen was great for the dogs.
  • Similarly the rear of the cap doesn't have the greatest fitment. I think partially just due to the fact it's fiberglass, and doesn't do a great job with the weight. Some additional weatherstripping is a requirement if you want to keep the rear even somewhat dust free.
  • The issue with the cap rubbing on the paint is bad. I could see this potentially introducing rust spots in the future, but for the few months I had mine, it wasn't horrible. Def something to note.
Overall, I do dig having a cap, but I'll be honest, I'm looking more seriously at a flatbed and canopy combo. The "floor" of the truck is lifted a bit, but you get a ton of additional "storage" built into most of these new "offroad/ausie" style trays, and a lot of the canopies have the ability to easily be put on and off. That gives you the ability to fully build the canopy for camping, and then drop it with a simple plug or two when you want to use the truck bed. You could somewhat do the same thing with a cap, and just rig up a pully to remove it, but obviously you can't really build out the bed if you still want the ability to use it fully.

Overall, the cap seems like the best middle ground, but it's all pros and cons.

ollicat

Reaction score

I have the MX and love the extra headroom. The only drawback is when the rear window is open, I have to jump up to reach it to close it.

I totally agree about the gaps on the rear. I have purchased 1" foam and am planning to have a gap seal party soon.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Also have the MX... the added height has certainly been useful.
Windoors don't get used often, but I have a small step I keep in the truck if I need to get to stuff that may need access on a trip, but not often....those items I try to pack near the tailgate.

I had to use some RTV where the plastic cap was riveted to frame on the rear door... anytime it rains water puddles and when I open it, I get drenched.
Also added weather stripping around the tailgate and edges of door to stop dust/water from getting in... for far it has been mostly effective.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I feel like the rear of my topper is pushing the “legs” outward over time. Like the cap is bulging perhaps. The gap at the rear window gets wider toward the bottom and the gap in the bedside gets wider toward the rear.

It’s possible it’s always been like this but i doubt it. I think I’m going to wait top a warm sunny day and try to loosen the clamps and squeeze it back together

3CEB830E-3950-411A-B5CD-C2D01212AD9F.jpeg959AF32E-D3EB-43EF-BB90-598084960848.jpeg1F198F23-3F16-4F3C-8DD3-A3E525D4728D.jpeg44A857A9-0D81-4B40-BF0C-FEFEC7302DE1.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s definitely not right. I might suggest that when you adjust it you attach a ratchet strap or board or something across the gap temporarily to hold it for a bit.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s definitely not right. I might suggest that when you adjust it you attach a ratchet strap or board or something across the gap temporarily to hold it for a bit.
Looking back at older pics it may have been like this from the beginning and I suppose i didn’t really question it.

But, my plan is to put a ratchet strap around the outside of the topper and loosen the clamps. Use the strap to squeeze the topper and reclamp

I feel like a nice sunny day would be best. I’ll post results here for other topper owners

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Snugtop has been 100% except that it didn’t come with a pin switch for the interior light, had to put one in myself.

Metternacht

Reaction score
As far as I recall the bed is not square. I think the rails taper in toward the rear? Someone else can check me as mine is currently in the shop and I don't have access.

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Finally installed

77e93cf7d3cda3e8d5dfbb594d7c7d95.jpg

1ba5c6aa04a43756e37a93efdcd8c1da.jpg

9530222c6d21977329e1b7e4984b6ca4.jpg

1f6658c39c508c9bd036811c61b99800.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
10-15 minute fix. I strapped the topper and then loosened the clamps. Slowly ratcheted the straps while going to the sides and pushing them. Worked for me. Much better fitment all around.

View attachment 55161View attachment 55162View attachment 55163View attachment 55164View attachment 55166

I didn’t have much faith that the clamps were good enough for what my Raptor was doing when I bought a shell for it but when installing gun racks, drilled through the shell and bed rail…only four small nylocked bolts but they would have had to give before the clamps came into play as far as shifting. Nothing ever budged and did the same on this PW.

el_barto

Reaction score
I have the MX and love the extra headroom. The only drawback is when the rear window is open, I have to jump up to reach it to close it.

I totally agree about the gaps on the rear. I have purchased 1" foam and am planning to have a gap seal party soon.
I have to jump or stand on my toes to reach it already lol
Been meaning to tie a string/rope to it to make things easier

Users who are viewing this thread