Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding the OEM hidden tailgate strut to any trim.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a bad damper or had one go bad? I installed the OEM one I bought, it worked a handful of times very soft/smooth then it started only slowing the drop slightly but the gate still bounces a little at the end because it drops harder than I would expect?
They’ve gone bad on all of our tundras. They will all eventually go bad.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Pulled this pic from Ram and posting it because it's 2am and I've nothing better to do. Just gives an easy view perspective of the linkage and how it relates with the dampener, thought it might be helpful for someone about to install a dampener.Image 12-14-22 at 11.07 AM.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
That's a lot of force that little strut is resisting. Pretty impressive.

Milly

Reaction score
Just did this to my 2023 Bighorn 2500. Took 5-10 minutes. Ordered from EBay for $41 free shipping. Worth it.

dmhines

Reaction score
Pulled this pic from Ram and posting it because it's 2am and I've nothing better to do. Just gives an easy view perspective of the linkage and how it relates with the dampener, thought it might be helpful for someone about to install a dampener.View attachment 48778
Interesting picture .. I added the strut to my Tradesman .. and the UP arrow indicates the dust protector should be on the bottom .. not the top ...

44Dan44

Reaction score
Interesting picture .. I added the strut to my Tradesman .. and the UP arrow indicates the dust protector should be on the bottom .. not the top ...
Yep! I made note of that when I did mine. Definitely down for the HD, contrary to the Ram graphic. I suspect @dieselscout80 is correct, maybe meant for the 1500's or maybe older HD's.
IMG_1390 2.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG

jak

Reaction score
If you remove the tailgate do you have to unhook the damper or just remove as you normally would?

Users who are viewing this thread