Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding the OEM hidden tailgate strut to any trim.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
This thread is for adding the OEM tailgate strut/damper to any trim that doesn't have it. Many of the searches bring up the aftermarket Deezee type stuff, but the best (IMO) way to do this cheap and easy mod is to use the hidden OEM version.

The part number you will need is 68362518AA

As of this writing, I found mine from a MOPAR parts dealer online for $26.71. $36.14 shipped.

The "nubs" or strut mounts are on every 19+ RAM HD regardless of trim and are found behind the passenger taillight (see picture).

Some notes about the taillight to prevent damage:

Just know that when you take the screws off that face the tailgate cables, the taillight then pulls directly back towards the rear and slides off two button tabs fixed to the bed. Don't put a lot of outward twist on the light toward the right (if your facing towards the front of the truck) or these will break and you'll be sad.

26dc44cd7ba1926bbfdae59ebf5ba3e6.jpg

Here is a picture from another thread (that also shows the two mounting "nubs"). Notice how behind the red arrow, the fastener channel is a half circle. This is the lower mount, there's also an upper. You can see how it needs to be drawn straight back to remove and to install, pushed forward to seat the "front" of the taillight before putting the screws back in.

There is an arrow on the strut to tell you which end needs to be oriented UP and fastened on the top nub. Snapping on the lower nub of the OEM strut is easier from underneath the truck. Your hand will fit up into a space and you'll feel it (even though it looks like you can't access it from underneath in the picture). I put the strut on the top nub first then climbed under to extend the strut and snap it on the lower nub.

After it's on, re-install the taillight and grab your tailgate "button" release and watch the magic. Because our tailgates all have a button/switch style release, it is possible that after adding this strut you can get (or program yourself with AlphaOBD) a remote tailgate release key fob. I haven't looked into adding the overhead console button, but knowing RAM, the wiring is probably there and you just need to get the right switch panel. The FOB or console button does the same as your finger and just activates the tailgate release switch, and the strut does the work of letting it down soft. Perhaps anyone who's added the FOB or console switch can add to this thread and all info will be contained in an easy to search/find format. I may do the FOB/console upgrades myself so if I do I'll add more here.

Hope any of this helps. Thanks to all the members posts that I learned this all from. Cheers.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of the overhead console and where the tailgate release switch is? (Unless it's down by the Aux switches?). I'm trying to track the switch down on parts sites and all I'm seeing is sunroof and rear slider options. It may be built into the console trim itself, but the others are pop in switches.

Thanks.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Looks like from @Gondul pic and looking at the 3rd grade diagram sketches on the parts site that it might involve the entire console replaced and even then, no telling if the harness is up there. Getting it on the fob looks to be the easiest way.

ARCpond

Reaction score
20210102_095152.jpg
Have the strut on order. While installing led lights in my overhead i found this harness plugged into this dummy post. Any idea what its for. Could it be used for gate release? 20 bighorn no sunroof or slide window.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Have the strut on order. While installing led lights in my overhead i found this harness plugged into this dummy post. Any idea what its for. Could it be used for gate release? 20 bighorn no sunroof or slide window.

Can't help on that connector but have a question on lights.

Were you changing lamps or installing additional lighting?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
View attachment 10060
That connector is for the power sliding rear window switch. It can’t be used for tailgate release. You would need the whole overhead console with the tailgate release button for that.

ARCpond

Reaction score
Can't help on that connector but have a question on lights.

Were you changing lamps or installing additional lighting?
Changed to led from yellow traditional. I think the higher trims come with them.

ARCpond

Reaction score
Th
That connector is for the power sliding rear window switch. It can’t be used for tailgate release. You would need the whole overhead console with the tailgate release button for that.
Thanks jimmy07! I didn't check but do any of those have power to them? Could they be used for any thing else like radar or dash cam? Or are they not terminated somewhere else?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Th

Thanks jimmy07! I didn't check but do any of those have power to them? Could they be used for any thing else like radar or dash cam? Or are they not terminated somewhere else?
The pink/yellow wire in that connector is fused ignition power. It is fully populated to the fuse box because it also ties into the driver door master switch.

Dmbecke

Reaction score
This looks like a great mod., but I don’t have the right fob and really just want the tailgate to open slowly and not fall. Does this strut work like the Deezee version?

Users who are viewing this thread