Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

Ed60

Reaction score
Got my 2022 HO 40,000 miles out of shop last week. Had DPF full see dealer message completely out of the blue.
Pretty much entire system replaced. DPF, converter and all the sensors.

Prior to this my DPF never got to more than 1/3 full and I never had any Regens other than 24 hour one and passive Regens while driving on highway.

Now after everything has been replaced my DPF ticks up about every 30 mins and when it gets to about 40% it does a REGEN. I get about 4-6 hours of drive time between Regens. 160-200 miles. No CEL.

Is this normal or excessive?

flan

Reaction score
Got my 2022 HO 40,000 miles out of shop last week. Had DPF full see dealer message completely out of the blue.

Prior to this my DPF never got to more than 1/3 full and I never had any Regens other than 24 hour one and passive Regens while driving on highway.

Now after everything has been replaced my DPF ticks up about every 30 mins and when it gets to about 40% it does a REGEN. I get about 4-6 hours of drive time between Regens. 160-200 miles. No CEL.

Excessive. Whatever was causing the problem with your old emission system is still the main issue at hand here. 24hr is what it should be regenning at. 4-6 not so great.

Ed60

Reaction score
Excessive. Whatever was causing the problem with your old emission system is still the main issue at hand here. 24hr is what it should be regenning at. 4-6 not so great.
Thanks. Exactly what I figured. I asked multiple times why it clogged, never got an answer. Gotta get this truck 2000 miles home now and have another dealer give it a shot.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Excessive!

They missed an upstream problem at the engine.

Which engine air filter are you running?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Exactly what I figured. I asked multiple times why it clogged, never got an answer. Gotta get this truck 2000 miles home now and have another dealer give it a shot.
This is typical.
They just want to replace the entire system and move you back out the door. It’s the easy way out for a problem they either don’t know how to properly diagnose, or an issue they have no fix for.

This is exactly why I am supremely suspicious anytime someone says they had their entire DOC / DPF / SCR replaced. More often than not this is nothing more than a bandaid.

Ed60

Reaction score
Reallybunfortu
This is typical.
They just want to replace the entire system and move you back out the door. It’s the easy way out for a problem they either don’t know how to properly diagnose, or an issue they have no fix for.

This is exactly why I am supremely suspicious anytime someone says they had their entire DOC / DPF / SCR replaced. More often than not this is nothing more than a bandaid.
Really unfortunate that Corporate doesn’t follow up when a parts replacer just replaces an entire system with no other diagnosis and bills warranty work. Guess they figure it will make it till the EPA warranty has expired.

Ed60

Reaction score
Excessive!

They missed an upstream problem at the engine.

Which engine air filter are you running?
I asked them to replace the AA with AB. On the phone they stated AB was correct. When I picked up the truck they let me know Ram has changed to AA and that is what they installed. The problems with this truck are unbelievable. I’m 2000 miles from home, towing a camper, and hoping this POS makes it

Firebird

Reaction score
I sure do miss old school diagnostic thinking mechanics. Parts hangars are so frustrating

k72nova

Reaction score
Small update on my truck, I spoke with the shop foreman and told him about my driving style, how often I tow, how often I'm on the freeway etc. He said if I was on the freeway my DPF gauge shouldn't go up and that it should remain at zero. After talking for a few minutes he mentioned that a software update was pushed to my truck that should have fixed this issue but he suspects my DPF is so clogged that a regen wouldn't be enough and that replacing my DPF might solve the issue. He said he brought this up with Chrysler but they aren't listening. My truck has a star case against it and he mentioned they've been having him take pictures and send in reports but take a day to reply and then have him change out something else and he usually has to wait a day before they reply to try something else. The dealer has been much more receptive to what I have going on after going in and talking to the foreman, I'm sure this is frustrating for them too.

They reached out today to ask if I wanted to keep pressing forward with the Chrysler star case since since it's taking so long and I asked if they'd keep pressing with it.

At this point I feel like I'm eventually looking at a lemon law buyback from Chrysler.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked them to replace the AA with AB. On the phone they stated AB was correct. When I picked up the truck they let me know Ram has changed to AA and that is what they installed. The problems with this truck are unbelievable. I’m 2000 miles from home, towing a camper, and hoping this POS makes it
Go back there and have the general manager, the service manager, the parts manager, and a service tech walk out to a brand new 2023 Cummins on the lot. Have them open the air box and see what filter they pull out.

It won’t be 68517554AA and their response is B.S.

Corporate is allocating the majority of the AB filters to new truck production and is trickling parts into the repair / support side. The same way they’re doing with the grid heater relays, the Particulate Matter sensors, and every other critical part that’s in short supply.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
What’s worse is you can’t even rely on some of the dealers anymore.

I was helping a complete stranger diagnose a regeneration issue with his new-to-him 2020. He was getting regeneration cycles too close together. I told him to pull the air box cover and see what filter was in there. Turns out it was some junk aftermarket filter. So I told him to get a 53034051AB from his dealer. (We were speaking over the phone). He was on his way to the dealer and would call me back. This is what his dealership in Georgia handed him ten minutes after I hung up the phone:
IMG_3885.jpegIMG_3886.jpegIMG_3887.jpeg
The Ram dealer parts counter literally handed him a Fake 53034051AB that undoubtedly came from Amazon. Needless to say when he sent me the pictures I told him to take it back tomorrow and start asking questions. They charged him $60 for that piece of junk. Had he not sent me the images, he would have assumed it was a legitimate mopar filter and installed it, likely to have even more issues and no way to know if the filter was at the source of the problem.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Small update on my truck, I spoke with the shop foreman and told him about my driving style, how often I tow, how often I'm on the freeway etc. He said if I was on the freeway my DPF gauge shouldn't go up and that it should remain at zero. After talking for a few minutes he mentioned that a software update was pushed to my truck that should have fixed this issue but he suspects my DPF is so clogged that a regen wouldn't be enough and that replacing my DPF might solve the issue. He said he brought this up with Chrysler but they aren't listening. My truck has a star case against it and he mentioned they've been having him take pictures and send in reports but take a day to reply and then have him change out something else and he usually has to wait a day before they reply to try something else. The dealer has been much more receptive to what I have going on after going in and talking to the foreman, I'm sure this is frustrating for them too.

They reached out today to ask if I wanted to keep pressing forward with the Chrysler star case since since it's taking so long and I asked if they'd keep pressing with it.

At this point I feel like I'm eventually looking at a lemon law buyback from Chrysler.
If you’re on the freeway and your unloaded, the soot load may go up or down depending on the load on your truck and the type of terrain and environmental conditions (grades, headwinds, etc). These trucks don’t seem to do passive regeneration too well unless there’s a load of some level on the engine. I have to drive my 2022 HO on the highway continuously for a long time before I see any appreciable downward movement on the DPF gauge. Hook a trailer to it and it’s a totally different animal. Passive regeneration happens almost immediately. I’m still not convinced my truck is operating correctly. It finished another active regeneration cycle about 56 miles ago and my DPF gauge is already registering 25%. I find that extremely unlikely. IMG_3877.jpeg
I still think something happened to my truck back in early July. Up until then I was going 800-1000 miles between regenerations and all of a sudden, it took a nose dive to 300-400 max and has never recovered. Driving cycles haven’t changed that dramatically. IMG_3879.jpeg

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but what mileage are you changing the filter at ? My truck has 8k miles on it and filter looks pretty clean. Thanks

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but what mileage are you changing the filter at ? My truck has 8k miles on it and filter looks pretty clean. Thanks
I change my engine air filter every time I change my oil. So I’m going somewhere between 10-12k miles usually.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I change my engine air filter every time I change my oil. So I’m going somewhere between 10-12k miles usually.
Thanks. Had my oil changed at 5k. Figure I’ll do it again at 10k. Might as well as that’s more than a years worth of time for me. Probably do the AF at that time.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Had my oil changed at 5k. Figure I’ll do it again at 10k. Might as well as that’s more than a years worth of time for me. Probably do the AF at that time.
Make sure the shop that’s doing your service work is using the correct oil type and viscosity. Still hear horror stories of shops (even dealers) putting 15w40 in these things.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If all you’re doing with it is towing, it’ll likely keep the DPF clean through passive regeneration, which then means you’ll only see active regeneration cycles based on the 24 hour engine operation timer. If you’re on the interstate when an active regeneration cycle starts it can be easy to miss. They only last about 20 minutes and there’s no notice unless you happen to scroll to the DPF gauge on the EVIC, if there during an active regen, you’ll see a message indicating the cycle is in progress. Otherwise you won’t get any pop up notifications unless the system has an issue that needs your immediate attention.

If you’re on the freeway and your unloaded, the soot load may go up or down depending on the load on your truck and the type of terrain and environmental conditions (grades, headwinds, etc). These trucks don’t seem to do passive regeneration too well unless there’s a load of some level on the engine. I have to drive my 2022 HO on the highway continuously for a long time before I see any appreciable downward movement on the DPF gauge. Hook a trailer to it and it’s a totally different animal. Passive regeneration happens almost immediately. I’m still not convinced my truck is operating correctly. It finished another active regeneration cycle about 56 miles ago and my DPF gauge is already registering 25%. I find that extremely unlikely.
I still think something happened to my truck back in early July. Up until then I was going 800-1000 miles between regenerations and all of a sudden, it took a nose dive to 300-400 max and has never recovered. Driving cycles haven’t changed that dramatically.

My 2020 rarely does a DPF (filling) based active regen though I don't always have it on the screen. Last week, the DPF was showing ~23% when I hooked (just) my 5th wheel trailer to it. Passive regen occurred and it was @ 0 in less than 90 miles.

k72nova

Reaction score
Not much to update but I figured why not, my truck is still at the dealer and I've been driving a loaner for around two months. I dropped the truck off 9/11/2023. They have a star case open and not much movement, they've replaced the MAF with a newer part number, replaced the air filter with the new part number, replaced the def sensor that was under recall, tested EGR, a few other things that I can't recall. This week they're supposed to be checking injector flow. Last time I spoke with RAMcares they said after an intake air flow, fuel flow, and exhaust flow test their engineers will be out of ideas and they'll fall on the assumption that it's software related. They said a software update is in development but no estimate on when it'll be ready. If the current tests don't fix the issue I'm planning on going back to the dealer to do everything I can to get them to do a buyback on the truck. The Mopar website has arbitration information for the lemon law and I'll likely go down that road if the dealer won't work with me.

ironmike

Reaction score
I was having regens everyday or every 2 days. I read on a post that A dirty MAP sensor can cause frequent regens... I cleaned the one MAP sensor next to throttle vale and it was literally clogged with a ton of black thick soot. Looks like new now and time will tell if regens stop. will update....

Units

Reaction score
Not much to update but I figured why not, my truck is still at the dealer and I've been driving a loaner for around two months. I dropped the truck off 9/11/2023. They have a star case open and not much movement, they've replaced the MAF with a newer part number, replaced the air filter with the new part number, replaced the def sensor that was under recall, tested EGR, a few other things that I can't recall. This week they're supposed to be checking injector flow. Last time I spoke with RAMcares they said after an intake air flow, fuel flow, and exhaust flow test their engineers will be out of ideas and they'll fall on the assumption that it's software related. They said a software update is in development but no estimate on when it'll be ready. If the current tests don't fix the issue I'm planning on going back to the dealer to do everything I can to get them to do a buyback on the truck. The Mopar website has arbitration information for the lemon law and I'll likely go down that road if the dealer won't work with me.
You’ll lose out going through the dealership trying to get them to buy back/ swap out the truck. Suggest you pursue the buyback through FCA.

Users who are viewing this thread