Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

k72nova

Reaction score
You’ll lose out going through the dealership trying to get them to buy back/ swap out the truck. Suggest you pursue the buyback through FCA.
Do you mean they'll deny it, or try to give me a worse deal on the buyback than FCA? My plan was to try and work it out with them to get a refund to include taxes, basically what the lemon law for my state dictates and of they won't accept those terms then go through the arbitration process.

Units

Reaction score
Do you mean they'll deny it, or try to give me a worse deal on the buyback than FCA? My plan was to try and work it out with them to get a refund to include taxes, basically what the lemon law for my state dictates and of they won't accept those terms then go through the arbitration process.
sent you a PM

counter50strike

Reaction score
Hey all, new here but am on a few of the Facebook pages. Im experiencing the same regen issues as everyone else, except i can't get a check engine light/MIL to pop at all. Been to dealer a few times now with them telling me they have never heard of this problem. Finally spoke to one of the diesel mechanics and he said he knows of one other truck (bull****) with this issue and they are going to replace the MAF sensor first to see if it fixes. So they ordered the MAF for my truck about a month and a half ago. It goes in Friday morning for the lengthy repair (install MAF, do a lengthy relearn process).

Truck is a 2022 SO 2500 Larame Sport crew cab.

I get regens typically every 40-60 miles; however I have had them kick in as low as 30 miles, back to back, and even going as far as 200 miles between, but this is quite rare. I quit using EDT fuel additive but it made no difference. My regens last anywhere from 20 minutes to nearly an hour. I have a 26 gallon tank, and it will easily use 1/8-1/4 tank of fuel during a regen. I had an oil analysis done through Cummins at 7,000 miles. It showed a 4.7% fuel dilution. If i had went to the recommended 15k mile service my fuel dilution would have potentially been 10%, which is insane to me. Dealer also tried to tell me they have never seen an oil analysis before. Ram cares is absolutely worthless and didn't want to see the oil analysis results either.

I drive the truck hard, keep rpms high when not towing and always ensure to idle down properly. Doesnt matter what I do, it loves to regen constantly. Towed my camper one day about 160 miles, it stayed in regen most of the trip. Doesnt make sense at all!

k72nova

Reaction score
Hey all, new here but am on a few of the Facebook pages. Im experiencing the same regen issues as everyone else, except i can't get a check engine light/MIL to pop at all. Been to dealer a few times now with them telling me they have never heard of this problem. Finally spoke to one of the diesel mechanics and he said he knows of one other truck (bull****) with this issue and they are going to replace the MAF sensor first to see if it fixes. So they ordered the MAF for my truck about a month and a half ago. It goes in Friday morning for the lengthy repair (install MAF, do a lengthy relearn process).

I get regens typically every 40-60 miles; however I have had them kick in as low as 30 miles, back to back, and even going as far as 200 miles between, but this is quite rare. I quit using EDT fuel additive but it made no difference. My regens last anywhere from 20 minutes to nearly an hour. I have a 26 gallon tank, and it will easily use 1/8-1/4 tank of fuel during a regen. I had an oil analysis done through Cummins at 7,000 miles. It showed a 4.7% fuel dilution. If i had went to the recommended 15k mile service my fuel dilution would have potentially been 10%, which is insane to me. Dealer also tried to tell me they have never seen an oil analysis before. Ram cares is absolutely worthless and didn't want to see the oil analysis results either.

I drive the truck hard, keep rpms high when not towing and always ensure to idle down properly. Doesnt matter what I do, it loves to regen constantly. Towed my camper one day about 160 miles, it stayed in regen most of the trip. Doesnt make sense at all!
I was planning on going down the lemon law route with my truck but I just got off the phone with my dealer who's had a Chrysler star case open for 3 1/2 months trying new things to include two new MAFs. They said they just finished with a fix that Chrysler told them to try and it worked and my truck is no longer in constant regen. Once I pick the truck up and drive it around for a bit I can let you know what their fix was, I don't know that it will matter much since most dealers don't want to hear your opinion on what is wrong with the truck and only go off of what the ECU tells them.

counter50strike

Reaction score
I was planning on going down the lemon law route with my truck but I just got off the phone with my dealer who's had a Chrysler star case open for 3 1/2 months trying new things to include two new MAFs. They said they just finished with a fix that Chrysler told them to try and it worked and my truck is no longer in constant regen. Once I pick the truck up and drive it around for a bit I can let you know what their fix was, I don't know that it will matter much since most dealers don't want to hear your opinion on what is wrong with the truck and only go off of what the ECU tells them.
yeah let me know what they did, hopefully they detailed it on your service papers

ironmike

Reaction score

Not sure if you read my updates to cleaning my MAP sensor next to the throttle valve. That sensor was completely covered in black thick soot.. I was having regens daily and now after a week, after cleaning sensor, not one regen in over a week.. I checked sensors on air box intake top and those proved perfectly clean otherwise.

ironmike

Reaction score
I was having regens everyday or every 2 days. I read on a post that A dirty MAP sensor can cause frequent regens... I cleaned the one MAP sensor next to throttle vale and it was literally clogged with a ton of black thick soot. Looks like new now and time will tell if regens stop. will update....
UPDATE!!!! I have not had a regen in over a week since cleaning MAP sensor. DEF filter gauge shows only less than 1/4. I also checked sensors on air box top and both of those proved perfectly clean.

scdo

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!! I have not had a regen in over a week since cleaning MAP sensor. DEF filter gauge shows only less than 1/4. I also checked sensors on air box top and both of those proved perfectly clean.
Are you referring to this sensor? I tried cleaning mine as well but unfortunately didn’t appear to help in my case.

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 71

flan

Reaction score
Are you referring to this sensor? I tried cleaning mine as well but unfortunately didn’t appear to help in my case.
That is the MAP sensor.

k72nova

Reaction score
Well so much for a good news story, I picked the truck up and within 100 yards of the dealer I was back in regen. The star case was closed and the dealer told me at this point the only thing Chrysler wants them to do is wait for a software update. I'm going to call ram cares when I get home to start a buyback and open a case for the lemon law to see which works out quicker.

counter50strike

Reaction score
Not sure if you read my updates to cleaning my MAP sensor next to the throttle valve. That sensor was completely covered in black thick soot.. I was having regens daily and now after a week, after cleaning sensor, not one regen in over a week.. I checked sensors on air box intake top and those proved perfectly clean otherwise.
I would hope mines not dirty since i only have less than 10k miles on my truck...bought it new in July. I'll see what happens Friday. It's exhausting that a new vehicle has to be taken to the dealer every few weeks it seems. An 80k truck shouldnt be a giant pile of **** but here we are. Will never own anything Stellantis related ever again, that's for sure.

tripleH

Reaction score
how hard is it to clean the MAP sensor? i do not know where it is or how to clean it, but my truck is basically in regen 24/7, so i really would like to try my hand at fixing the issue. any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

tripleH

Reaction score
Well so much for a good news story, I picked the truck up and within 100 yards of the dealer I was back in regen. The star case was closed and the dealer told me at this point the only thing Chrysler wants them to do is wait for a software update. I'm going to call ram cares when I get home to start a buyback and open a case for the lemon law to see which works out quicker.
Sorry to hear you're having the same problem I am. My frustration with my truck is nearing 100% at this point. What happens when a car is bought back or protected by the lemon law? Does the manufacturer owe you the total amount or only the alleged resale value? What if there is a loan?

k72nova

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having the same problem I am. My frustration with my truck is nearing 100% at this point. What happens when a car is bought back or protected by the lemon law? Does the manufacturer owe you the total amount or only the alleged resale value? What if there is a loan?
Well from what I'm reading the lemon law for my state is a buyback for purchase price less $.10-$.25 per mile driven which is roughly $2,800 for me. I submitted my case for arbitration and the information they gave me was that if we come to an agreement then FCA would cut a check that would pay off the loan just like if you were to sell it to someone else and then the remainder would just go into my bank account. BUT Since I submitted the case for arbitration it isn't a lemon law buyback but a potential agreement of other terms with FCA, what that means exactly I'm not 100% sure of but it is a free process that I don't have to accept the terms of (the only terms I selected on the form was a buyback). If I'm not happy with the terms that we come to then I will likely hire a lawyer to send the lemon law paperwork to FCA. I'm really hoping that we can come to an agreement instead of going the lawyer route, I want to keep it as civil as possible.

tripleH

Reaction score
Well from what I'm reading the lemon law for my state is a buyback for purchase price less $.10-$.25 per mile driven which is roughly $2,800 for me. I submitted my case for arbitration and the information they gave me was that if we come to an agreement then FCA would cut a check that would pay off the loan just like if you were to sell it to someone else and then the remainder would just go into my bank account. BUT Since I submitted the case for arbitration it isn't a lemon law buyback but a potential agreement of other terms with FCA, what that means exactly I'm not 100% sure of but it is a free process that I don't have to accept the terms of (the only terms I selected on the form was a buyback). If I'm not happy with the terms that we come to then I will likely hire a lawyer to send the lemon law paperwork to FCA. I'm really hoping that we can come to an agreement instead of going the lawyer route, I want to keep it as civil as possible.
Thanks for the update. Do you have any tips regarding how to start the arbitration process? You mentioned it is a free process; I would like to pursue a similar action, if possible, but I can't find information that explains how the process works or how to get started.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Adding this information to the thread. This is a recently published document detailing some things a tech should look at / complete for any truck displaying frequent regeneration issues. It is not a TSB yet, but this is the latest assistance document from STAR technical advisors regarding this issue. I posted it in other threads concerning regen frequency as wellIMG_4620.jpegIMG_4621.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't mean to rub it in, but just as a reference;

My 2020 HO went into an active Regen today leaving the house. 2.5 miles to the tollway @~50MPH, 6 miles @80-85MPH, then hit stop and go traffic on I-25 northbound 2 more miles up. It completed in 13 miles total just before my destination (Microcenter).

I never really tracked them, but pretty sure it was time generated as the gauge was only around 15%. Had some passive regen going on Sunday evening that I could see after idling through a Christmas light show (in 2WD-LO.) I am going to start trying to monitor for and log them.

Not that it matters, but I fueled up on the way back and with my $0.60/gal. grocery discount, it was $2.69 gal. Maxed out the 35 gals allowed right at a full tank (100% per Torque ECU read). :eek: Murphy's was .16 cheaper @ $3.13 if I hadn't had the points. I expect the Kroger and Murphy's fuel probably come out of the same tanker truck and those are my primary go-to around town and for short trips.

tripleH

Reaction score
Adding this information to the thread. This is a recently published document detailing some things a tech should look at / complete for any truck displaying frequent regeneration issues. It is not a TSB yet, but this is the latest assistance document from STAR technical advisors regarding this issue. I posted it in other threads concerning regen frequency as well
Thanks for sharing this information. It is very helpful. Do you have a digital version? I would like to give it to the technicians at my dealership.

My 2023 2500 does not actually say it is regenerating, but it clearly is happening due to other indicators. If it matters, the trim is Limited, so my dash looks different than what has been posted in this thread. I basically stare at the DPF gauge, but I have never seen it announce a regen cycle. Not one time - even when the gauge reading decreases in front of my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread