Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grille Guards

John Jensen

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a Grille Guard on their 2019-2021 yet?
Our trucks have a new unique front end and hooks making it difficult to mount a grille guard.
And, if you have a front camera the field narrows real quick. Plus some do not keep the OEM tow hooks.
I have it boiled down to either a Steelcraft Grille Guard 50-2280C or a Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard GGD191BL1C
I have a Ranch Hand on my 2016 1500 and one on my Ford F350. Ranch Hand uses heavier tubing and uprights material than the others but they do not show how it mounts to our 4.5 trucks. The few pictures make me wonder how strong their mounting might be.
The SteelCraft is much cheaper and has excellent Install Instructions and pictures. But I cannot find any reviews on SteelCraft.
One vendor, who sells both. said the Ranch Hand is better quality but could not elaborate on the mounting system.
So that's my dilemma. All comments would be appreciated. Especially if you have installed any grille guard on a 2019-21 HD.
Will be posting on other sites as well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a Grille Guard on their 2019-2021 yet?
Our trucks have a new unique front end and hooks making it difficult to mount a grille guard.
And, if you have a front camera the field narrows real quick. Plus some do not keep the OEM tow hooks.
I have it boiled down to either a Steelcraft Grille Guard 50-2280C or a Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard GGD191BL1C
I have a Ranch Hand on my 2016 1500 and one on my Ford F350. Ranch Hand uses heavier tubing and uprights material than the others but they do not show how it mounts to our 4.5 trucks. The few pictures make me wonder how strong their mounting might be.
The SteelCraft is much cheaper and has excellent Install Instructions and pictures. But I cannot find any reviews on SteelCraft.
One vendor, who sells both. said the Ranch Hand is better quality but could not elaborate on the mounting system.
So that's my dilemma. All comments would be appreciated. Especially if you have installed any grille guard on a 2019-21 HD.
Will be posting on other sites as well.
Right on the product page is the installation info

John Jensen

Reaction score
Right on the product page is the installation info

You don't think I've looked at that over and over. As I said, it does not show how or where the frame or upper mounts connect or mount to the truck. I talked to Ranch Hand's expert and he could not tell me either. I asked if he had any drawings, there are none. That PDF is not helpful. Did you even look at it?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You don't think I've looked at that over and over. As I said, it does not show how or where the frame or upper mounts connect or mount to the truck. I talked to Ranch Hand's expert and he could not tell me either. I asked if he had any drawings, there are none. That PDF is not helpful. Did you even look at it?
It has pictures. Crawl under your truck and look at the truck and look at the pictures and visualize it. I have had the bumper and entire front end off of my truck and those instructions make perfect sense. They literally show where and how it attaches.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I am probably going to go with the Steel Craft. A local dealer near me has it for $385. While Ranch Hand is a Texas company, I can't see spending double for the same thing. I remember paying $700 for a full replacement ranch hand bumper on my 2001 2500.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It has pictures. Crawl under your truck and look at the truck and look at the pictures and visualize it. I have had the bumper and entire front end off of my truck and those instructions make perfect sense. They literally show where and how it attaches.
Thanks for your reply. I have crawled under and looked, several times for several minutes. What pictures"show where and how it attaches"? I'm asking how and where the top and the bottom mounts attach to the truck. The pictures only show how the mounts attach to the guard, not to the truck itself.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have crawled under and looked, several times for several minutes. What pictures"show where and how it attaches"? I'm asking how and where the top and the bottom mounts attach to the truck. The pictures only show how the mounts attach to the guard, not to the truck itself.
It shows T shaped brackets attaching to the side of the frame by the tow hook bolts and bumper bolts. Those brackets stick out next to the tow hooks. The other L shaped brackets attach through the area you had to trim in step one and bolt behind the bumper.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It shows T shaped brackets attaching to the side of the frame by the tow hook bolts and bumper bolts. Those brackets stick out next to the tow hooks. The other L shaped brackets attach through the area you had to trim in step one and bolt behind the bumper.
Thanks

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I have the full bumper, not just the guard and it has the cutouts to keep the factory tow hooks even though they are recessed mostly. Also have the cutout for the camera up front.
Are you just wanting the grill guard and not the full bumper replacement?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have the full bumper, not just the guard and it has the cutouts to keep the factory tow hooks even though they are recessed mostly. Also have the cutout for the camera up front.
Are you just wanting the grill guard and not the full bumper replacement?
Yes, just the grille guard

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It literally shows where it attaches to the truck its on the frame horns where the bumper and front tow hook bolts are for the lowers and the uppers goes to the bumper mounts.... it is clear as day

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I sent this message to OP but I figured I'd post here for anyone curious.

The mounts for the steelcraft seem very heavy duty. I'm actually considering having a mount fab'd up that bolts to the steel craft mounts that I can use to install a front receiver hitch, similar to the item in link below.

I removed the factory tow hooks, but I may re-install. The installation did not require that I leave the hooks off. I had intended to replace with actual hooks instead of the "loop" that came from the factory but have not been able to find what I'm looking for.

As for the camera, I do not have a front facing camera but the steelcraft does have a removable center section. I helped a friend install a steelcraft guard on his toyota (with front camera) and we did have to remove the section to allow the camera to see.

I called a number of truck accessory and offroad shops in the greater San Antonio area looking for a grill guard and most recommended the ranch hand. When I questioned why the RH over the SC most either didn't have an answer or just said it was their preference. I assumed it's because the RH has a better profit margin. I can say that my SC looks as tough and stout as my dads RH on his Chevy 3500, for about 60% of the cost.

Hope this helps.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I sent this message to OP but I figured I'd post here for anyone curious.

The mounts for the steelcraft seem very heavy duty. I'm actually considering having a mount fab'd up that bolts to the steel craft mounts that I can use to install a front receiver hitch, similar to the item in link below.

I removed the factory tow hooks, but I may re-install. The installation did not require that I leave the hooks off. I had intended to replace with actual hooks instead of the "loop" that came from the factory but have not been able to find what I'm looking for.

As for the camera, I do not have a front facing camera but the steelcraft does have a removable center section. I helped a friend install a steelcraft guard on his toyota (with front camera) and we did have to remove the section to allow the camera to see.

I called a number of truck accessory and offroad shops in the greater San Antonio area looking for a grill guard and most recommended the ranch hand. When I questioned why the RH over the SC most either didn't have an answer or just said it was their preference. I assumed it's because the RH has a better profit margin. I can say that my SC looks as tough and stout as my dads RH on his Chevy 3500, for about 60% of the cost.

Hope this helps.
Thanks McHenry, it helps a lot.
Your reply is what I was asking for and it convinces me to go with Steelcraft

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For what it's worth; those aren't great pictures. They show the bumper off the truck frame on some kind of jig/cradle. Also, the brackets in the photos seem kinda wimpy. Makes me glad I went with the Steelcraft.
Perhaps its your perception but for me i can see it is pretty clear and straight forward i have worked with much less

John Jensen

Reaction score
For what it's worth; those aren't great pictures. They show the bumper off the truck frame on some kind of jig/cradle. Also, the brackets in the photos seem kinda wimpy. Makes me glad I went with the Steelcraft.
I agree. I'm sure Ranch Hand put some thought and testing but their flat steel brackets seem wimpy when compared to other grille guard mounting brackets.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Perhaps its your perception but for me i can see it is pretty clear and straight forward i have worked with much less
If you read through the directions and look at the corresponding pictures it isn't as clear as it should be.

Step 3 notes to remove the factory bumper bolts and install the bottom brackets. It doesn't show exactly which bumper bolts nor does it show the brackets in question or the orientation to install?

If you look at the SteelCraft instructions (which I have attached for reference) they are much clearer in regards to exactly which bolt to remove and what orientation to install the brackets. Also worth noting, the SC instructions show exactly what each bracket is supposed to look like.

The difference between the instructions (RH is 1 very vague page, SC is 5 detailed pages) and the build quality of the mounting brackets (RH appears to be flat bar bent to fit, SC is gusseted plate) should speak for the overall quality of the product.

I'm not here to fight/argue over the instructions or who knows how to install what. Most of what I have stated is my opinion based on ACTUALLY INSTALLING the Steelcraft product on my truck. Take that for what it's worth.

Attachments

• SteelCraft Ram 2500.pdf
    986.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread