Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grille Guards

Bamaprof

Reaction score
I have a Westin HDX. It follows the lines of the truck perfectly. I cut a hole with a dremel tool so the front camera still works. Removing it and bumper when my Road Armor arrives.

Attachments

• E2BA558D-E569-49F3-9E4B-D0A8C66505F9.jpeg
    E2BA558D-E569-49F3-9E4B-D0A8C66505F9.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 1BF037D6-DC56-4993-9430-09FC30B9B23A.jpeg
    1BF037D6-DC56-4993-9430-09FC30B9B23A.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 4D38BC69-6BF7-4F8A-8C0A-1E6D7A55B672.jpeg
    4D38BC69-6BF7-4F8A-8C0A-1E6D7A55B672.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 120

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I have a Westin HDX. It follows the lines of the truck perfectly. I cut a hole with a dremel tool so the front camera still works. Removing it and bumper when my Road Armor arrives.

Nice ride...What tires do you have on her?

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Does adding that remove the tow hooks?
You can retain the factory tow hooks with this guard. I was hoping to swap out mine for something different. But haven't found anything aftermarket I like. I'll probably end up just re-installing the original set next time I'm working on the truck.

Lawdog3500

Reaction score
I am reviving this thread.... I am still debating a grill guard versus a full replacement and leaning toward full replacement. One big concern I have is protecting the intercooler down low from pheasants and such. A grill guard won't provide much protection on that front. Cost is about double to go from grill guard to full replacement. I am not too concerned about the weight difference. If the intercooler takes a hit, that's a bad day.

I talked to a very reputable local dealer at length and asked specifically about SteelCraft v Ranch Hand. (As I said before, I had a Ranch Hand Legend full replacement on my Duramax and I liked it a lot). He sells a ton of both. Ranch Hand is a staple where I live in Montana, very common. The SteelCraft is about $200 cheaper for a similar guard or bumper. Dealer said he likes both and recommends both. Said the mounting brackets on the SteelCraft are very solid and well-designed. On the Elevation full bumper, it allows for relocation of the factory tow hooks which he noted because on the Ranch Hand and some others, they stay tucked in back on their original mounts and can be a little more difficult to access. Small point.

I do like the smooth steel look of the Elevation bumper #60-12280C. I had the diamond plate style on the last truck, so this would be a different look.

Attachments

• Steelcraft Elevation.jpg
    Steelcraft Elevation.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
I am reviving this thread.... I am still debating a grill guard versus a full replacement and leaning toward full replacement. One big concern I have is protecting the intercooler down low from pheasants and such. A grill guard won't provide much protection on that front. Cost is about double to go from grill guard to full replacement. I am not too concerned about the weight difference. If the intercooler takes a hit, that's a bad day.

I talked to a very reputable local dealer at length and asked specifically about SteelCraft v Ranch Hand. (As I said before, I had a Ranch Hand Legend full replacement on my Duramax and I liked it a lot). He sells a ton of both. Ranch Hand is a staple where I live in Montana, very common. The SteelCraft is about $200 cheaper for a similar guard or bumper. Dealer said he likes both and recommends both. Said the mounting brackets on the SteelCraft are very solid and well-designed. On the Elevation full bumper, it allows for relocation of the factory tow hooks which he noted because on the Ranch Hand and some others, they stay tucked in back on their original mounts and can be a little more difficult to access. Small point.

I do like the smooth steel look of the Elevation bumper #60-12280C. I had the diamond plate style on the last truck, so this would be a different look.
If you want just the grill guard but worried about protecting the intercooler, here's an excellent intercooler guard. Intercooler guard

I too am still debating on which guard. Have always had a Ranch Hand but not sure of the mounts for the 2019-2020. I'm settling in on the Steelcraft as I like the mounting system better, and it retains the factory tow hooks. Why I keep hesitating is even with the open camera areas, they all restrict some of the front camera view. IMO Rancher has the best mounting system plus it has built-in tow hooks, factory hooks are discarded

mcspeed

Reaction score

I like the looks of the one pictured. I doubt the sections around the headlights offer much protection. I’ve seen many that get pushed into body or headlight ……wonder if they helped or hurt in terms of protection.

Check the steel gage as well as how robust the mounts are. Some are quite lame and offer virtually no protection. Perhaps some just want the look minus the utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
My brother has a Rancher on his 2016 3500 HO. He had a nut in a brand new Ford F250 change lanes into him at about 30mph.. The Ford hit the driver side light guard (the section around the headlight) and that guard wiped out the whole side of the Ford, from the passenger door to the tailgate. The light guard was not bent or moved, only a smudge on the powder coating, and that polished off. I've never seen one pushed into the body or headlight, but I guess it could happen if hit right at the right speed.
I like the looks of the one pictured. I doubt the sections around the headlights offer much protection. I’ve seen many that get pushed into body or headlight ……wonder if they helped or hurt in terms of protection.

Lawdog3500

Reaction score

Check the steel gage as well as how robust the mounts are. Some are quite lame and offer virtually no protection. Perhaps some just want the look minus the utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Steelcraft are very similar to the Ranch Hand products in appearance and I'd wager close in build quality if not quite as good, maybe a little lesser, and they cost a little less. I doubt its sides would get pushed in much from what I've seen and by reputation. I've owned a Ranch Hand Legend full replacement, exactly like the one posted just above by PGHChris81. Excellent bumper.

I do like the little tabs on the Ranch Hand that stiffen the side area. EDIT: the Elevation bumper has them too.

Attachments

• RH tabs.jpg
    RH tabs.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Lawdog3500

Reaction score
If you want just the grill guard but worried about protecting the intercooler, here's an excellent intercooler guard. Intercooler guard

I too am still debating on which guard. Have always had a Ranch Hand but not sure of the mounts for the 2019-2020. I'm settling in on the Steelcraft as I like the mounting system better, and it retains the factory tow hooks. Why I keep hesitating is even with the open camera areas, they all restrict some of the front camera view. IMO Rancher has the best mounting system plus it has built-in tow hooks, factory hooks are discarded
Thanks, that's a nice product. At $400+ for it, I would opt for the full replacement front which is my leaning anyway.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The Steelcraft are very similar to the Ranch Hand products in appearance and I'd wager close in build quality if not quite as good, maybe a little lesser, and they cost a little less. I doubt its sides would get pushed in much from what I've seen and by reputation. I've owned a Ranch Hand Legend full replacement, exactly like the one posted just above by PGHChris81. Excellent bumper.

I do like the little tabs on the Ranch Hand that stiffen the side area.

Little bit of steel, little bit of welding wire and a little bit of gloss black rattle can and you can add those to any bumper

Last edited:

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Buckstop Classic 2. It does block the front camera a bit but it’s still usable. I’m working with them to see if we can improve the camera view.

View attachment 12919

I have LED driving lights fort heroine holes, I just haven’t installed them yet.
@EK701

Can you post a picture from the side that shows how much your Buckstop bumper sticks out?

Ps how do you like your BF Goodrich AT KO?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Since this thread has opened up again I will report on what I finally did. I went with the Rancher because I believe it has the strongest mounting system and doesn't require the mounding straps over the top of the bumper (which I definitely did not want). I solved the front camera problem by buying a camera, cabling, and a camera mount. I disconnected the cargo camera (didn't need it as I have a Leer shell) and used its port to plug in the new front camera.

Here's the guard with my front camera added
Front Camera Extension Mount-View 1.jpg

Here's the added camera view
Front Camera Extension-View 1.jpg

Here's the OEM front camera view
Rancher - 2-Front Surround Camera-1.jpg

Last edited:

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Since this thread has opened up again I will report on what I finally did. I went with the Rancher because I believe it has the strongest mounting system and doesn't require the mounding straps over the top of the bumper (which I definitely did not want). I solved the front camera problem by buying a camera, cabling, and a camera mount. I disconnected the cargo camera (didn't need it as I have a Leer shell) and used its port to plug in the new front camera.

Here's the guard with my front camera added
View attachment 67858

Here's the added camera view
View attachment 67859

Here's the OEM front camera view
View attachment 67860
John, does the Rancher grille guard interfere with the Ram front sensor operation?

Also, can you post a picture that shows the Rancher tow hooks?

John Jensen

Reaction score
John, does the Rancher grille guard interfere with the Ram front sensor operation?

Also, can you post a picture that shows the Rancher tow hooks?
Yes, interferes with the middle sensors. I put Ranch Hand stick on canceling covers on them. That keeps them "off" while the end sensors still work.

Here's a pic of the Rancher mount and integrated hook

Rancher Lower Mount.jpg

Here it is mounted - passenger side

Rancher Hook.jpg

Last edited:

Cheryle

Reaction score
Has anyone put a Ranch Hand bumper on the 2024 Ram 3500? I had one on my ‘06 Ram and loved it. Gave me a sense of security when driving in WY, MT, etc. It’s not a”if” but “when” you have a run in with an antelope.
Thank you for any info you can provide,
Cheryle

Lawdog3500

Reaction score
I had a Ranch Hand on my last truck. It was fine. I went with a local product this time. If you're in Montana like I am, check out CK Fab out of Laurel MT. Incredibly solid and flows perfectly with the lines of the truck. 20220512_150921.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I had a Ranch Hand on my last truck. It was fine. I went with a local product this time. If you're in Montana like I am, check out CK Fab out of Laurel MT. Incredibly solid and flows perfectly with the lines of the truck. View attachment 69995
Looks beefy but I think “flows perfectly with the lines of the truck” is a bit of a stretch

Users who are viewing this thread