Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grille Guards

John Jensen

Reaction score
If you read through the directions and look at the corresponding pictures it isn't as clear as it should be.

Step 3 notes to remove the factory bumper bolts and install the bottom brackets. It doesn't show exactly which bumper bolts nor does it show the brackets in question or the orientation to install?

If you look at the SteelCraft instructions (which I have attached for reference) they are much clearer in regards to exactly which bolt to remove and what orientation to install the brackets. Also worth noting, the SC instructions show exactly what each bracket is supposed to look like.

The difference between the instructions (RH is 1 very vague page, SC is 5 detailed pages) and the build quality of the mounting brackets (RH appears to be flat bar bent to fit, SC is gusseted plate) should speak for the overall quality of the product.

I'm not here to fight/argue over the instructions or who knows how to install what. Most of what I have stated is my opinion based on ACTUALLY INSTALLING the Steelcraft product on my truck. Take that for what it's worth.
You said it so well. Thanks for clarifying what I've been trying to convey.
It seems some want to challenge statements rather than respond to the question or problem.
Your and Chrisminx replies spoke my dilemma, much appreciated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
any side shots of the steel craft? it looks like with their brackets i could keep my plow mount on aswell so i could run the plow in the winter and the grill gaurd in the summer

John Jensen

Reaction score
any side shots of the steel craft? it looks like with their brackets i could keep my plow mount on aswell so i could run the plow in the winter and the grill gaurd in the summer
Only this angle shot.. I saved it to my computer and enlarged it with a photo program. If you do that it may help you.
01b-Grill Guard-Steelcraft - Mfg-2.jpg

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Only this angle shot.. I saved it to my computer and enlarged it with a photo program. If you do that it may help you.
View attachment 12728
I actually worked right down the street from the SteelCraft distribution center for Texas and saw that truck and a few others in their lot all the time. They also had a gladiator on 37" tires with every accessory and option you could get.

H3LZSN1P3R: is there a specific part of the lower brackets you were curious about? I can take a few pictures this evening.​

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I'm sold on the Steel Craft. Thanks for posting.
Glad I could help with your decision!

The only draw back I have noted so far with my SteelCraft is I'm having a difficult time finding an LED light bar that I like that will fit well and look good. I already installed some small round LED fog lights but I had a 20" bar on my last truck and I miss the extra light it provided.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I actually worked right down the street from the SteelCraft distribution center for Texas and saw that truck and a few others in their lot all the time. They also had a gladiator on 37" tires with every accessory and option you could get.

H3LZSN1P3R: is there a specific part of the lower brackets you were curious about? I can take a few pictures this evening.​

Not looking for a bracket picture im looking for a side profile of the truck with the grill guard if your able to take one that would be awesome

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a Grille Guard on their 2019-2021 yet?
Our trucks have a new unique front end and hooks making it difficult to mount a grille guard.
And, if you have a front camera the field narrows real quick. Plus some do not keep the OEM tow hooks.
I have it boiled down to either a Steelcraft Grille Guard 50-2280C or a Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard GGD191BL1C
I have a Ranch Hand on my 2016 1500 and one on my Ford F350. Ranch Hand uses heavier tubing and uprights material than the others but they do not show how it mounts to our 4.5 trucks. The few pictures make me wonder how strong their mounting might be.
The SteelCraft is much cheaper and has excellent Install Instructions and pictures. But I cannot find any reviews on SteelCraft.
One vendor, who sells both. said the Ranch Hand is better quality but could not elaborate on the mounting system.
So that's my dilemma. All comments would be appreciated. Especially if you have installed any grille guard on a 2019-21 HD.
Will be posting on other sites as well.
Hi, John, I'm new to the forum. Not sure if you got a grill yet, but, I have a 2019 Gas HD and have been scouring the net looking for an attractive front brush guard that goes with the body lines and doesn't cover up my grill or head lamps. I found a company called AEV (American Expedition Vehicles). They sell a complete front and rear bumper/brush guard replacement that looks really good. It is more on the rugged zombie apocalypse look and its also pricey. You can check them out at www.AEV-conversions.com

Attachments

• prospector-xl-28.jpg
    prospector-xl-28.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 60

John Jensen

Reaction score
Buckstop Classic 2. It does block the front camera a bit but it’s still usable. I’m working with them to see if we can improve the camera view.

View attachment 12919

I have LED driving lights fort heroine holes, I just haven’t installed them yet.
Nice setup. Like the matching color.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Because of the front camera's view uncertainties, I canceled my grille guard order.

I looked at all grille guards that have a screen/mesh opening to allow the front camera to operate. Then I mocked up their openings on my 2020 3500 Laramie's front grille and turned on the front camera. In every case, the camera's view was obstructed. In fact, the camera has such a wide-angle view that anything placed at the outer edges of the grille is seen and obstructing. The bottom line is no guard that allows a clear unobstructed view.

Then I looked at grilles that have no screen/mesh and grilles that they will sell without the screen/mesh. Again either their horizontal or vertical bars obstruct the view.

So, at this point, no grille guards for me.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I have the full bumper, not just the guard and it has the cutouts to keep the factory tow hooks even though they are recessed mostly. Also have the cutout for the camera up front.
Are you just wanting the grill guard and not the full bumper replacement?
Whose bumper did you go with? Do you have the front camera? Can you post a pic of how it looks on the screen?

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Because of the front camera's view uncertainties, I canceled my grille guard order.

I looked at all grille guards that have a screen/mesh opening to allow the front camera to operate. Then I mocked up their openings on my 2020 3500 Laramie's front grille and turned on the front camera. In every case, the camera's view was obstructed. In fact, the camera has such a wide-angle view that anything placed at the outer edges of the grille is seen and obstructing. The bottom line is no guard that allows a clear unobstructed view.

Then I looked at grilles that have no screen/mesh and grilles that they will sell without the screen/mesh. Again either their horizontal or vertical bars obstruct the view.

The issue here maybe, how much does it obstruct? How often do you use your front camera?

For me, the added protection against something hitting my truck directly was the drive for needing/wanting a guard. Depending on how much of the view is obstructed it maybe worth it, or maybe not. To each their own.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The issue here maybe, how much does it obstruct? How often do you use your front camera?

For me, the added protection against something hitting my truck directly was the drive for needing/wanting a guard. Depending on how much of the view is obstructed it maybe worth it, or maybe not. To each their own.
You are correct. As you know, I was going with the SteelCraft and it has the smallest opening of all. That's what prompted me to do the tests. One of these days maybe someone who has the front camera will install a Steelcraft and report their satisfaction

EK701

Reaction score

Here is what mine looks like through the front camera:
8ADEF3A5-37FB-41D9-BDD8-D93321B9B3D5.jpeg

and the surround view:
00C79F5C-C48B-4EBE-B74D-957F5E0D0B52.jpeg

GBB

Reaction score
Curious why the need for front camera If your sitting looking out the windshield..rear view yes...front view?..

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics EK.
It's interesting how the horizontal bar shows up in the "top view" but it doesn't obstruct the top view.
Curious why the need for front camera If your sitting looking out the windshield..rear view yes...front view?..
The pictures above your post should answer your curiosity.
When you are looking out the windshield can you see your front bumper? I can't.
The "top view" requires a front camera. The top view is an excellent view in tight quarters. I can't see that out my windshield either.

Lawdog3500

Reaction score
Good discussion. New to the forum here but have been lurking for a while. Just got a 19 3500 and am going to add a front guard or full replacement bumper soon. Thanks to the poster above for the side profile of the Steelcraft. It does not protrude much out front, which is nice. I do like the look of the Fab Fours stuff too. Not sure if their front mesh blocks too much of the front camera. I had the Legend full front bumper replacement from Ranch Hand on my last truck.

Users who are viewing this thread