Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Cargo Bed Lights Wiring ?????

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score

Hulk_Ram_6.7

Reaction score
Gonna revive an old post, i read everything in here. But my question is if the 21 3500's are different wiring than the 19 or 20's? I ask because i installed the kit from mopar, the instructions for tapping the bcm and fuse box were for the 19, but after the dealer "turned on" the build code, the lights are not working.

Thanks.

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
Gonna revive an old post, i read everything in here. But my question is if the 21 3500's are different wiring than the 19 or 20's? I ask because i installed the kit from mopar, the instructions for tapping the bcm and fuse box were for the 19, but after the dealer "turned on" the build code, the lights are not working.

Thanks.
I have a '21 and everything worked just fine. I ran DK GRN / WT wire to BCM C7 16 and TAN/WT TO PDC C3 17.

Hulk_Ram_6.7

Reaction score
I have a '21 and everything worked just fine. I ran DK GRN / WT wire to BCM C7 16 and TAN/WT TO PDC C3 17.
Ill go back and look this evening, i prolly effed something up, my switch in the bed works for the cargo lamp, but the lights in the bed aren't coming on.

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Fcr

Reaction score
Ill go back and look this evening, i prolly effed something up, my switch in the bed works for the cargo lamp, but the lights in the bed aren't coming on.

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Did you ever figure it out?

Also what does the dealer charge for turning them on?

I’m looking at a 2500 with no led lights so researching the factory kit install.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hulk_Ram_6.7

Reaction score
Did you ever figure it out?

Also what does the dealer charge for turning them on?

I’m looking at a 2500 with no led lights so researching the factory kit install.

Thanks!
Im still in a no light situation, partly lazy to go back to dealer... my wires are all where they should be. I think they charged me but didn't actually make the switch on in the settings.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread. Found this while doing a search to see if my 22' PW was pre-wired for bed lights and thought i share what i did.

I purchased the factory bed light kit and instead of wiring it to the bcm, i spliced in a multi-funtional timer. With the timer, I was able to reuse the factory momentary switch and lights. i got constant (+) power from a wire i ran from the battery to the bed to power my 12v fridge.

i programed the timer for the lights to come "ON" for 3 minutes from pressing the momentary switch. I can press the momentary switch again anytime during the 3 minutes to turn "Off" the lights.

Last edited:

CORBAN11

Reaction score
Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black ground.

View attachment 11781

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going to be popping any fuses.
They’re much smaller but much brighter than the factory bed leds

View attachment 11787
View attachment 11792

View attachment 11782View attachment 11783

I mounted them up under the bed rail on the bedside where it is angled. This minimizes glare to the eye while providing maximum light into the bed.
View attachment 11797
View attachment 11794View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796
do these turn on with the factory rubber push button in the bed as well as the button in the cab?

Razzman

Reaction score
Another option: On my 2017 Laramie I added the factory lights since i simply needed some light to see what I was doing, no need for a full bed under rail light setup. Also didn't like the way they functioned, on with the door open, timed with no switch to override. So I did it my way using the factory harness with the light I modified it to connect to the trailer wiring, added a rigid waterproof switch in the existing bed hole and made sure the entire thing was waterproofed. Worked exactly like I wanted, hit a switch when I opened the tailgate. Saw no value in an inside switch for bed lights. Now with the 2020 Limited it came with the lights and the switch is in the bed, and as a bonus there's a big led light on the face of the Retrax Powertax MX which I can turn on if needed. Never used it but hey it's there.

20180423_153519_resized.jpg
20180423_201653.jpg

Florotory

Reaction score
Installed the Mopar LED cargo lights in my 2020 2500 and ran the wiring per the instructions. However when I went to reconnect my batteries my AMP steps came down and wouldn’t go back up when I close the door.

So I went and removed the wire in PDC under the hood and it fixed that problem. I haven’t touched anything in AlfaOBD yet cause I wanted to start the truck and make sure no issues before I did that step.
When I started the truck my backup camera doesn’t work and the icon is gone. Is that something that should show back up and is cause from the batteries being disconnected most of the day? Or do I need to reconnect the wire in the pdc?
Thanks

Florotory

Reaction score
Installed the Mopar LED cargo lights in my 2020 2500 and ran the wiring per the instructions. However when I went to reconnect my batteries my AMP steps came down and wouldn’t go back up when I close the door.

So I went and removed the wire in PDC under the hood and it fixed that problem. I haven’t touched anything in AlfaOBD yet cause I wanted to start the truck and make sure no issues before I did that step.
When I started the truck my backup camera doesn’t work and the icon is gone. Is that something that should show back up and is cause from the batteries being disconnected most of the day? Or do I need to reconnect the wire in the pdc?
Thanks
Nvm I went out to check it again and everything is working.

Bigmike775

Reaction score
yes they do, keeps from having to add another switch somewhere
How do you connect the switch?! I bought a mopar kit, but didn't show switch. I now have 3 male pigtail. And 1 female to run to front of truck

kkerley

Reaction score
How do you connect the switch?! I bought a mopar kit, but didn't show switch. I now have 3 male pigtail. And 1 female to run to front of truck
no idea, mine came with the mopar bed lights installed so the switch was already present, you may want to look up someone who didn't have the kit already and added the mopar kit and what they had to do for a switch

HeyUHBurt

Reaction score
Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going

Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black ground.

View attachment 11781

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going to be popping any fuses.
They’re much smaller but much brighter than the factory bed leds

View attachment 11787
View attachment 11792

View attachment 11782View attachment 11783

I mounted them up under the bed rail on the bedside where it is angled. This minimizes glare to the eye while providing maximum light into the bed.
View attachment 11797
View attachment 11794View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796
How/where did you pass the wires for your lights through the bed to splice into that existing harness for the OEM bed lights?

Users who are viewing this thread