Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Cargo Bed Lights Wiring ?????

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Hey @Rockcrawlindude I'm up under my driverside rear to see if my 23 Level 2 is prewired. Either I'm not, or maybe I'm not seeing the proper white/tan, black 2 wire. I think I'm close based on the similar sticker from your photo heading to the taillight.

tempImageaMirF0.jpg

usmcbluefo

Reaction score
My 2019 2500 Power Wagon didn’t come with the LED Bed Lights and the dealer said they weren’t available as a kit from Mopar yet when I was buying it. Flash forward, the Mopar website now shows (2) kits for the bed lights that fit the 2019 and 2020 2500s. Same kit part number but different revision numbers. I bought the newest kit number but was shipped the old revision. Only differences appears to be the wiring, the new kit has two of the tan wire to reach under the dash or under the PDC (depending on 2500 vs 1500 Classic).

Anyways, after closely comparing all available install instructions and reading this thread on RamForum.com, the wiring I believe to be correct is green/white wire to under-dash connector C7 Pin 16, and tan/white wire to under-PDC connector C3 Pin 17.

Issue is, there is already a tan/white wire in under-PDC Connector C3 Pin 17. Has anyone else installed this kit? Is this wiring correct? Do I need to splice into the existing tan/white wire?
I installed the same bed lights as you did , I bought my set from infotainment, I couldn’t get the lights to turn on the only thing that works is the button , it turns on the third brake light bed lights so I know it’s working . Just didn’t get the lights to power on . The sent me a few genie programmers to no avail . Anyway I will take it to professional installer early in the spring I will update then .

stancedeuros

Reaction score
I've got an aftermarket kit that only contains a ground and a brown pin out. Anyone know if I can just run to a hot wire in the back to get lights with the cargo button, or do I need the tan/white wire prewired?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Hey @Rockcrawlindude I'm up under my driverside rear to see if my 23 Level 2 is prewired. Either I'm not, or maybe I'm not seeing the proper white/tan, black 2 wire. I think I'm close based on the similar sticker from your photo heading to the taillight.

View attachment 67114
On my truck the bed wiring connector is in the location of the wire with the QR code in your pic. It’s wht/tan and black on the truck side and red black on the light side

stancedeuros

Reaction score
On my truck the bed wiring connector is in the location of the wire with the QR code in your pic. It’s wht/tan and black on the truck side and red black on the light side
On my gladiator and Rebel, they had wrapped the dead head connections into the wiring bundle. I'll check back under there to make sure that isn't what happened. Thanks for the help!

stancedeuros

Reaction score
@Rockcrawlindude I've deducted that there is no factory wiring harness on mine from the factory. The kit I order is 2 wire(ground terminal and brown pin out wire). Anyone know if any of the cables at the back of the truck(besides the factory plug) receive power 12V power on the cargo light switch? These lights seem to fit the factory locations well but maybe wire to the 2018 HD Rams.

tl:dr: Need a hot wire location that comes on with the cargo lamp button besides the factory plug wire.

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Another option: On my 2017 Laramie I added the factory lights since i simply needed some light to see what I was doing, no need for a full bed under rail light setup. Also didn't like the way they functioned, on with the door open, timed with no switch to override. So I did it my way using the factory harness with the light I modified it to connect to the trailer wiring, added a rigid waterproof switch in the existing bed hole and made sure the entire thing was waterproofed. Worked exactly like I wanted, hit a switch when I opened the tailgate. Saw no value in an inside switch for bed lights. Now with the 2020 Limited it came with the lights and the switch is in the bed, and as a bonus there's a big led light on the face of the Retrax Powertax MX which I can turn on if needed. Never used it but hey it's there.

View attachment 35588
View attachment 35589
Exactly what I need to do. Do you remember the trailer wire you took 12v constant from. I can just positap it with a switch in the same spot you did. @Razzman

Pilotib

Reaction score
@Rockcrawlindude I've deducted that there is no factory wiring harness on mine from the factory. The kit I order is 2 wire(ground terminal and brown pin out wire). Anyone know if any of the cables at the back of the truck(besides the factory plug) receive power 12V power on the cargo light switch? These lights seem to fit the factory locations well but maybe wire to the 2018 HD Rams.

tl:dr: Need a hot wire location that comes on with the cargo lamp button besides the factory plug wire.
I just added mine yesterday without factory wiring. It was in fact a white wire with tan tracer in the drivers door sill. Beware that there are a few. It is one that is solo, meaning not braided along with a twin, and it was buried in near the middle of the harness. That is still probably the best access point as stuff is held in a channel with tape. It is in a tube in the drivers rear door, and harder to split out. Gaining access and carefully testing to ensure you have the correct wire was the longest and toughest part of the project. I drilled a small hole in the parking brake grommet to pass my positive wire outside the cab, and snaked it back and up the driver’s side rear of the bed. I ran the ground from a factory grounding location on the passenger side frame rail up and over the spare.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 20

Units

Reaction score
I just added mine yesterday without factory wiring. It was in fact a white wire with tan tracer in the drivers door sill. Beware that there are a few. It is one that is solo, meaning not braided along with a twin, and it was buried in near the middle of the harness. That is still probably the best access point as stuff is held in a channel with tape. It is in a tube in the drivers rear door, and harder to split out. Gaining access and carefully testing to ensure you have the correct wire was the longest and toughest part of the project. I drilled a small hole in the parking brake grommet to pass my positive wire outside the cab, and snaked it back and up the driver’s side rear of the bed. I ran the ground from a factory grounding location on the passenger side frame rail up and over the spare.
What year and model is your truck? And did you run your lights straight off of that wire or use a relay? Pics of the wire? I was thinking of tapping into the wire off of the tailgate light since it turns on with the cargo light button in my truck, using a relay.

Units

Reaction score
Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black ground.

View attachment 11781

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going to be popping any fuses.
They’re much smaller but much brighter than the factory bed leds

View attachment 11787
View attachment 11792

View attachment 11782View attachment 11783

I mounted them up under the bed rail on the bedside where it is angled. This minimizes glare to the eye while providing maximum light into the bed.
View attachment 11797
View attachment 11794View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796
I know this is an old post but what does that wire go to that you are tapping into in the pic?
Looking at doing the same thing on my ‘23.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but what does that wire go to that you are tapping into in the pic?
Looking at doing the same thing on my ‘23.
The factory bed lights / button in the bed

Wire colors below

stancedeuros

Reaction score
This is all crazy I’m just adding the lights and my own switch and I will tap off the 7 pin.

Mind sharing which 7 pin connection you tapped into? Looking at all the options in order to keep from having to go drivers door sill route.

GBenoit

Reaction score
I installed the same bed lights as you did , I bought my set from infotainment, I couldn’t get the lights to turn on the only thing that works is the button , it turns on the third brake light bed lights so I know it’s working . Just didn’t get the lights to power on . The sent me a few genie programmers to no avail . Anyway I will take it to professional installer early in the spring I will update then .
Did you ever resolve this? I'm currently having same issue.

GBenoit

Reaction score
Im still in a no light situation, partly lazy to go back to dealer... my wires are all where they should be. I think they charged me but didn't actually make the switch on in the settin did you ever resolve this? If so could you please share. I'm currently having the same issue.

dvpvic

Reaction score
I ordered 82215795AB kit for my 2022 2500. Hope its the correct set. Read through this thread didnt catch a part number but did find it on other threads.

GBenoit

Reaction score
I ordered 82215795AB kit for my 2022 2500. Hope its the correct set. Read through this thread didnt catch a part number but did find it on other threads.
I just installed mine according to directions. Ran my wire harness to the front. My switch works with the cargo light at the 3rd brake light. My bed lights do not. I used a meter at the bed fuse in engine compartment I don't seem to have power on either side of fuse. I'm not sure if this type of fuse needs to be activated with computer. I currently tried with the Alphaobd but didn't do anything. From what I'm reading I need the bypass cable.

dvpvic

Reaction score
I just installed mine according to directions. Ran my wire harness to the front. My switch works with the cargo light at the 3rd brake light. My bed lights do not. I used a meter at the bed fuse in engine compartment I don't seem to have power on either side of fuse. I'm not sure if this type of fuse needs to be activated with computer. I currently tried with the Alphaobd but didn't do anything. From what I'm reading I need the bypass cable.
Yeah if you're not using a security module bypass you won't be able to set the settings. That is if you have a 2018 or newer I believe. Youll need one of these; Cable link or I can PM you a guy on Facebook groups that also makes and sells them.

Last edited:

GBenoit

Reaction score
Yeah if you're not using a security module bypass you won't be able to set the settings. Youll need one of these; Cable link or I can PM you a guy on Facebook groups that also makes and sells them.
Hopefully the one I purchased will work
Yeah if you're not using a security module bypass you won't be able to set the settings. Youll need one of these; Cable link or I can PM you a guy on Facebook groups that also makes and sells them.
Do you happen to know does these fuses need to be turned on? Under the hood.
I've seen the cable you just posted. I just wasn't sure of the website. I went with something I found on Amazon in reviews someone mentioned this is why they purchased it.
I just purchased this cable yesterday. Should have it tonight.
Brand: TTXSPP
Cable Adaptor for Chrysler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector

Users who are viewing this thread