Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Great question - I will check in with our team. It may be something that they're still not keen on doing if it is not specifically listed as availbale/compatible even though it may have been "proven" (as much as one could ask for) above. I'll let you all know what I find out! I can say one thing for sure, is that I personally would not be mechanically inclined enough to do it - but that's stories for another day.
lol - thanks for checking on it, I appreciate it and am excited about the truck. Knowing what I have planned for it, I'll need all the help I can get to make sure I can actually get in!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
lol - thanks for checking on it, I appreciate it and am excited about the truck. Knowing what I have planned for it, I'll need all the help I can get to make sure I can actually get in!
Ok the service & parts team had a pow-wow - and while they're not doubting that this CAN be done, by someone . . . it is not something that we would be able to do at dealership still given the fact that it is a little borrowing/adjusting from different items and instructions we wouldn't be able to have the same sure footing as we normally need in order to make adjustments to a brand new vehicle. Bright side is they did say the methodology looks right so shows hope!

Dave01

Reaction score
I live in central NH, am out in every storm including today. No issues with them deploying or stowing. I think the mechanism is seriously rugged, as you might hope for. Like Splzhaul mentioned above I try to wash them pretty regularly to keep sand out of the mechanism.
I meant to add some pictures but forgot until now. This shows the kind of icy buildup that happened during a storm, doesn't seem to affect their operation at all.

Resized_20230314_175244.jpeg
Resized_20230314_175250.jpeg
Resized_20230314_175303.jpeg
Resized_20230314_181306.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Dave01

Reaction score
There is typically a lot less buildup with mudflaps.
You know I've thought about mud flaps and haven't done anything yet. If there's a "these are the ones to go with" obvious answer, let me know, OEM or other.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
You know I've thought about mud flaps and haven't done anything yet. If there's a "these are the ones to go with" obvious answer, let me know, OEM or other.
Lots of guys running TRX have good things to say about WeatherTech flaps. If they work well on a truck that gets hammered off road, I would imagine they’ll do well on wet roads.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I like my OEM rubber Flappy Mcflaps. There's a big flap thread here somewhere. You can spend a lot more on Duraflaps and a few others, but IMHO the OEM ones get er done.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The OEM rubber flaps are easy to install and look nice. I had those on my 2020. I went with Rokblokz on the ‘23 as they’re a little wider, and actually easier to install than the OEM flaps.

Dave01

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, I'll make a choice and order a set shortly. I knew there had to be a flap thread, or maybe a bunch of them, just didn't have the gumption to read a bunch of flap pages.

Now for fender flares, I may be reading a few threads ....

Shane644

Reaction score
Looks good. One thing I failed to mention and didn’t think about- Can Bus wires should be twisted pairs to even out any interference they may pick up. It shouldn’t be an issue here (more of a “best practice”), but if you aren’t too far along, take the two Can IHS wires and twist them together.
Thanks for the heavy lifting. Followed wiring diagram and the 2019 boards work fine on my 2013

ironmike

Reaction score
I am looking for help in the of power steps operating properly. I have a 2020 Ram 3500 Mega Laramie HO 4X. The steps have worked properly until about a month ago, passenger side started intermittently working when it wanted to, sporadic deploys & retracts. I pressure washed for debris removal and re lubed pivot joints with PB Blaster & WD-40. Worked a little less sporadic but not for long. Also, drivers side started same symptom as well 1 week ago.
Any help, is greatly appreciated!!

thestuarts

Reaction score
I am looking for help in the of power steps operating properly. I have a 2020 Ram 3500 Mega Laramie HO 4X. The steps have worked properly until about a month ago, passenger side started intermittently working when it wanted to, sporadic deploys & retracts. I pressure washed for debris removal and re lubed pivot joints with PB Blaster & WD-40. Worked a little less sporadic but not for long. Also, drivers side started same symptom as well 1 week ago.

If you're still under the 36,000 mi warranty or an extended warranty, I would just take it to the dealer to troubleshoot it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Both "lubes" used are penetrating oils used to break stuck parts free and are dirt collectors if left.

Flush it as needed, then use spray white Lithium grease.

I'd be checking connectors and fuses as well.

cjthompson206

Reaction score
This has been an extremely helpful thread. The only challenge I run into is finding the following items as they are discontinued.

68361654aa power running board, right
68361655aa power running board, left

I assume there are newer options but cannot seem to find the correct P/N's. Couple questions.
1. Does anyone know what the newer part numbers are?
2. Does the PSSM, wire diagram and connectors shared earlier in this thread still apply to the new power running boards?

Much appreciated for the help!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
This has been an extremely helpful thread. The only challenge I run into is finding the following items as they are discontinued.

I assume there are newer options but cannot seem to find the correct P/N's. Couple questions.
2. Does the PSSM, wire diagram and connectors shared earlier in this thread still apply to the new power running boards?

I think they are out of stock rather than discontinued as they'd normally list a new p/n
These folks claim to have them in stock...

cjthompson206

Reaction score
I think they are out of stock rather than discontinued as they'd normally list a new p/n
These folks claim to have them in stock...

I tried ordering from 2 places and moparpartsgiant was one of them. Both places cancelled my order.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I tried ordering from 2 places and moparpartsgiant was one of them. Both places cancelled my order.

Sorry about the bad link then.
Vendors really need to update when items are out of stock vs showing they are available for purchase...

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

It’s been a while since they stopped selling the left and right power running boards as whole units.
Now, the only way to get them is to buy each individual part of the power running boards separately to piece together the whole units.

Dave01

Reaction score
Last winter when plowing I dented my passenger side running board on a rock I didn't see. Expensive mistake, but then again the board protected the rocker so no damage to the truck. A local autobody repair guy I use did the replacment for me, not sure where he got it but had it in within a week. I'll see if I can track him down to ask him.

cjthompson206

Reaction score
Sorry about the bad link then.
Vendors really need to update when items are out of stock vs showing they are available for purchase...
No worries, Gondul. Really appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread