Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

cjthompson206

Reaction score
It’s been a while since they stopped selling the left and right power running boards as whole units.
Now, the only way to get them is to buy each individual part of the power running boards separately to piece together the whole units.
Would you happen to have that list of P/N on hand :)

If not I'll start googling lol.

Thanks you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

cjthompson206

Reaction score
Last winter when plowing I dented my passenger side running board on a rock I didn't see. Expensive mistake, but then again the board protected the rocker so no damage to the truck. A local autobody repair guy I use did the replacment for me, not sure where he got it but had it in within a week. I'll see if I can track him down to ask him.
Any information will help to complete this job. Thank you.

cjthompson206

Reaction score
So here is what I got. Would be great if someone could help me confirm this is everything and confirm that it is correct.

• (x1) PRB Motor, L: 68461641AB
  • (x1) PRB Motor, R: 68461640AB
  • (x1) PRB Hinge, L: 68461639AA
  • (x1) PRB Hinge, R: 68461638AA
  • (x1) PRB Step, L: 68461647AA
  • (x1) PRB Step, R: 68461637AA
  • (x2) PRB Torque Rod: 68461642AA

Last edited:

cjthompson206

Reaction score
Do you know where I can get the gray connector or what part number it is?
Can't remember which one. But, it is one of these. Can't remember exactly.

power step module C1 connector- Yazaki 7283-8398-40
power step module C2 connector- Yazaki 7283-8599-30

cjthompson206

Reaction score
So it's been a week or 2 since install and everything works as it should. Just follow the steps in this forum and should be good to go!

Thanks everyone for the great thread! Cheers!

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
I am hoping to install these Power Running Boards as well in the near future and have contacted Mopar to come up with a Kit for the 2500's/3500's just as they have for the 1500's.
The 1500 Kit is 82215287AH

Perhaps everyone here could send an email to US Customer Care attention Lyn at uscustomercare@cac.stellantis.com and let them know that you would like a Kit for the 2500/3500.

My second thought for those making the Wiring Harness's..........could you just order and use the ones from the 1500 Kit if you knew the Part Numbers?
Perhaps the instructions from the 1500 Kit list the wiring harness Part Numbers? You can see in the attached picture that wiring harnesses are supplied with the Kit.
I can't seem to find an installation instruction pdf file on the internet so I do not know if a Kit Breakdown is listed.

And for my rant about this issue, I am blown away that Ram/Mopar would not be interested in putting together a 2500/3500 Kit when these vehicles sit so much higher off the ground that a 1500.
If any truck should have the Kit available, it should be the 2500/3500 and not the 1500.

I contacted Mopar and I find it odd how little interest Mopar or the person I was in contact with seems to have to add items to their list of Mopar Parts.
Mopar USA pushed me to Mopar Canada and all Canada could say is that they could not help me and there was nothing that they could do. All scripted conversation.
I kind of expected this as I would think any decision about adding Kits to the Mopar Parts lineup would be a USA decision. Canada is just a puppet office.
Maybe in the end, just not enough people are contacting them and pushing them for the Kit.

My wife is a short person and has trouble getting into our 3500 with the Mopar Side Steps that are currently installed. They are just too high and not wide enough for a solid feel and footing.
Let's add some soon to be coming Ice and Snow and the now installed steps could become downright dangerous.

Every Kit they would sell would add to their profit and you would think they would want that.
Stellantis should be looking at Harley Davidson and their aftermarket "Genuine Parts" that they are making big money on and it has worked out very well for them.

Finally, I will add that I hope I have not done something wrong by adding the email address above. If I have, I apologize.

Attachments

• 82215287AD-4-BAK.jpg
    82215287AD-4-BAK.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Dave01

Reaction score
My wife really likes the power deployed running boards. Not only do they drop lower than a fixed step, but they are in the perfect place to stair step into the truck rather than hoist yourself with the grab handle. It makes me happy that a feature like that works so well for her, and with my creaky knees I like them too.

I agree that a kit should be offered.

m3rd

Reaction score
I am hoping to install these Power Running Boards as well in the near future and have contacted Mopar to come up with a Kit for the 2500's/3500's just as they have for the 1500's.
The 1500 Kit is 82215287AH

Perhaps everyone here could send an email to US Customer Care attention Lyn at uscustomercare@cac.stellantis.com and let them know that you would like a Kit for the 2500/3500.

My second thought for those making the Wiring Harness's..........could you just order and use the ones from the 1500 Kit if you knew the Part Numbers?
Perhaps the instructions from the 1500 Kit list the wiring harness Part Numbers? You can see in the attached picture that wiring harnesses are supplied with the Kit.
I can't seem to find an installation instruction pdf file on the internet so I do not know if a Kit Breakdown is listed.

And for my rant about this issue, I am blown away that Ram/Mopar would not be interested in putting together a 2500/3500 Kit when these vehicles sit so much higher off the ground that a 1500.
If any truck should have the Kit available, it should be the 2500/3500 and not the 1500.

I contacted Mopar and I find it odd how little interest Mopar or the person I was in contact with seems to have to add items to their list of Mopar Parts.
Mopar USA pushed me to Mopar Canada and all Canada could say is that they could not help me and there was nothing that they could do. All scripted conversation.
I kind of expected this as I would think any decision about adding Kits to the Mopar Parts lineup would be a USA decision. Canada is just a puppet office.
Maybe in the end, just not enough people are contacting them and pushing them for the Kit.

My wife is a short person and has trouble getting into our 3500 with the Mopar Side Steps that are currently installed. They are just too high and not wide enough for a solid feel and footing.
Let's add some soon to be coming Ice and Snow and the now installed steps could become downright dangerous.

Every Kit they would sell would add to their profit and you would think they would want that.
Stellantis should be looking at Harley Davidson and their aftermarket "Genuine Parts" that they are making big money on and it has worked out very well for them.

Finally, I will add that I hope I have not done something wrong by adding the email address above. If I have, I apologize.
On page 12 of this thread is a list of the part numbers with includes the 1500 wiring harness. Yes, good point on the large height difference with between the 1500 and 2500/3500 rationalizing that kit priority should have been given to the 2500/3500. My 2023 sits up 2" higher than my 2004 which had 18" inches.

cjthompson206

Reaction score
I did this install about 2 months ago. Bought all the individual parts and made my own harness. It's pretty simple if you follow the wire diagram. Just takes some time. But last week I just added in some lights for the steps. Using rock lights and limit switches to trigger the lights on when the steps drop.

Attachments

• PXL_20231027_040511418.jpg
    PXL_20231027_040511418.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 20

jsalbre

Reaction score
I did this install about 2 months ago. Bought all the individual parts and made my own harness. It's pretty simple if you follow the wire diagram. Just takes some time. But last week I just added in some lights for the steps. Using rock lights and limit switches to trigger the lights on when the steps drop.
Care to share some details on the light set up? My truck came with the power boards, but I’d love to add some light down there.

cjthompson206

Reaction score
Care to share some details on the light set up? My truck came with the power boards, but I’d love to add some light down there.
- The lights are Oracle rock lights - white
- #6 x 3/4" sheet metal screws to mount the lights. Need to drill pilot holes.
- The limit switch I used - https://a.co/d/ixmZPHq
- attached the limit switch with 3m double sided automotive tape. We'll see how long it will hold up. So far it feels solid after a couple weeks and after a little rain.

I've attached an image of my terrible drawing but it worked. I will point out that the drawing is missing 1 item. I added an inline fuse prior to tapping into the trailer power wire.

Also here I've attached pics of the switch when retracted and deployed. PXL_20231027_060653051.jpgScreenshot_20231026-231924~2.jpgScreenshot_20231026-232139.jpg

cjthompson206

Reaction score
No problem. I don't want to take all the credit. I got the idea to do the limit switch from the video but used different lights. Also I hid the lights on the inside side of the pinch weld.

Dave01

Reaction score
I like the ingenuity, even if you did see it on Youtube first! :)

John Jensen

Reaction score
No problem. I don't want to take all the credit. I got the idea to do the limit switch from the video but used different lights. Also I hid the lights on the inside side of the pinch weld.

Nice work and a good idea.
I wonder if lights could be installed without using a limit switch and pulling power from the trailer plug assembly. Couldn't you achieve the same by merely tapping (with a fuse inline) into the steps' wiring harness power lead that deploys the steps (and ground to the frame or body) ?

cjthompson206

Reaction score
Nice work and a good idea.
I wonder if lights could be installed without using a limit switch and pulling power from the trailer plug assembly. Couldn't you achieve the same by merely tapping (with a fuse inline) into the steps' wiring harness power lead that deploys the steps (and ground to the frame or body) ?
I thought about this. I could not find a good enough answer for me to make that attempt.

One thing I also wasn't sure if there is a power source that triggers from the computer when the steps deploy. Versus it having a power at all times.

If someone knows a way to do this I would be game to attempt it. Eliminate my failure point which is the limit switch.

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Good morning-

I have been asked by a few different people to outline what I used and the steps I followed to install the power running board / side steps on my 2023 Power Wagon. All this information is in this thread, I am just consolidating what others did before me. I am very thankful for their trailblazing.

Some know that I am a fixed ops manager at one of the largest parts dealerships in the country. If you were to call our store our employees would likely tell you this cannot be done. The first reason being they do not have experience with testing it or installing it. With no experience they would not want to give a customer the wrong information. The second being there is no documentation through Ram and there is no accessory kit available for a 2500, 3rd being who do they turn to if something does not work but they have asked you to spend a couple thousand dollars?

As the vehicle owner there is a risk we take when we complete projects like this. Having said that, the risk is greatly reduced through forums such as this when prior experience is shared.

My experience:
MY Truck: 2023 Ram Power Wagon Level 2

I followed the prior posts in this thread and the result is working steps on a 2023 Ram Power Wagon. I did not need to modify any structures or relocate anything on the truck. The installation was as easy of a project that I have completed. It was much easier than the installing the center console phone charging pad offered from Mopar (82215150AG – another part your dealer will tell you isn’t available for a 2023).

Parts used on 2023 2500 W/ 6’4” **different boards are needed for a Mega Cab**
68461640AB – QTY 1 Right front hinge bracket and motor assembly
68461641AB – QTY 1 Left front hinge bracket and motor assembly
68461638AA – QTY 1 Right rear hinge bracket
68461639AA – QTY 1 Left rear hinge bracket
68461637AA – QTY 2 Crew Cab aluminum board includes end caps (right and left are the same)
68461642AA – QTY2 Torque rod (connects front step motor/brkt to rear steps bracket)
6511062AA – QTY 8 Rivnuts Rocker Panel (2 used per bracket no drilling required the holes are already in the body)
6102165AA – QTY 8 Bolts m8x1.25x30 (2 per bracket through bracket into rivnut)
6507610AA – QTY 8 Bolts m6x1.00x30.00 (2 per hinge bracket the holes are already present in the pinch weld)
68367399AF – QTY 1 Power running board module
68422689AB – QTY 1 Power running board harness (from a Ram 1500 accessory kit)
Grey Connector – QTY 1 Must Source see pictures. View attachment 53642

You can use the installation instructions from the ram 1500 accessory kit to help guide you. The 2500 is very similar to the 2500. The only difference from the instruction for a 1500 and the 2500 is where you mount the control module. Because the 1500 mounts on the driver side and the 2500 is normally on the passenger. When following the wiring instructions, you will see plenty of room on the driver’s side to mount the module. For my installation, I trimmed off the mounting tabs (plastic) from the module which allowed it to slip in by the parking brake assembly. Also please note that the instruction will say you need to remove the wheel liners to install the harness. That is not necessary, you can feed the wires down without doing that.

Notes:
  • The can bus connector- As noted in the thread, the can bus connector is slightly different and needs to be trimmed. View attachment 53641
  • The instructions will show you that there are studs that mount the motor/bracket. The 2500 used wellnuts and bolts, not studs. It is really easy to see which holes to use if you hang the motor/bracket in place.
  • The power running board module will wake up automatically there is no programming needed.
  • If you want to add the power sidestep button in your radio, you will need an Alfo OBD. The dealer will not be able to do this because it is not an option listed in our vehicle options update. I have successfully added the power steps into the vehicle configuration on my 2023 using Alfa OBD and the three options updates. Reference page 4 of this thread.
  • the 2023 parts catalogue has some incorrect information. DO NOT rely on those part numbers as of 3.19.23. take a look at the 2022 catalogue as it is accurate.
Results: I have working Power Running boards on my 2023 Power Wagon with no issues at all.
Hello Up[ander,

Can you please tell us where to get the Grey Connector and the Part Number?

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread