Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Going to need an extremely FAT Wallet if you are in Canada to install these Factory Power Steps.

Total crap in my opinion as the 1500 Kit is only $1845.00

1702159722816.png

Come on Mopar Parts..........build us 2500/3500 owners a Kit. We need it way more than a 1500 owner would.
All the work is done for you now.......just box up all the parts above into one box, create a Part Number and sell it to us for the same price as the 1500 Kit.
The parts list may need a quick review and one or two small items added........but should be easy from this point.

Hello @RamCares .........can you push the powers to be on this?

I contacted Ram Canada as instructed by Ram USA and they just blew me off and read some scripted crap.......which is what I told Ram USA would happen.
Ram Canada has no power to do anything........they are just a joke and a puppet office for the USA in my opinion.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Going to need an extremely FAT Wallet if you are in Canada to install these Factory Power Steps.

View attachment 66497

Come on Mopar Parts..........build us 2500/3500 owners a Kit. We need it way more than a 1500 owner would.
All the work is done for you now.......just box up all the parts above into one box, create a Part Number and sell it to us for the same price as the 1500 Kit.

Hello "Ram Cares" .........can you push the powers to be on this?

I contacted Ram Canada as instructed by Ram USA and they just blew me off and read some scripted crap.......which is what I told Ram USA would happen.
Ram Canada has no power to do anything........they are just a joke and a puppet office for the USA in my opinion.

To tag a member, use the @ in front of their member name and start typing, the forum software will help complete the name,

m3rd

Reaction score

View attachment 66497

Hello "Ram Cares" .........can you push the powers to be on this?

Can you order from US dealer? Or is there a significant customs hassle and cost? I just bought everything except harness and mounting hardware and cost with shipping was <$2000.

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are made by AMP Research for Ram. I put them on my '15 and '17 crew cabs. You can get them from a lot of sources like ebay,,,,,$1399 w/ free shipping.
I wouldn't say that is the truth. The Mopar Boards use a Torque Arm to help drive the Bracket that does not contain a Motor.
The AMP Boards do not and from what I see for the Ram there is just one Motor per side.

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Can you order from US dealer? Or is there a significant customs hassle and cost? I just bought everything except harness and mounting hardware and cost with shipping was <$2000.
Perhaps so.........but shipping to Canada from the USA is brutal expensive.

We don't live far north of the Border but crossing here can sometimes take 1-2 hours.......in each direction and I have zero patience for that.
Closest USA dealer to me is 80 miles away also.

uplander

Reaction score
Hello Up[ander,

Can you please tell us where to get the Grey Connector and the Part Number?

Thank you in advance.
Crazyharleyguy...
Sorry I have not been on the site for a little while. Please see below a post from Jimmy07. He had some sources and also listed the connector numbers. His sugestion of trying to ask for a sample can work.

Hope this helps.

Here’s all the parts you need to build the harness:
(1) Power distribution center C6 connector terminal- Yazaki 7116-4120-02
(1) power step module C1 connector- Yazaki 7283-8398-40
(4) power step module C1 connector terminals- Yazaki 7116-4110-02
(1) power step module C2 connector- Yazaki 7283-8599-30
(2) step module C2 connector large terminals- Yazaki 7116-4110-02 (same as C1 terminals, so 6 all together)
(6) step module C2 connector small terminals- Yazaki 7116-4720-02
(2) step motor connectors- molex 33472-0606- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/33472-0606?qs=/ha2pyFaduiWXvgSsHwiNBIIkoY4qjlCTZRPTiQXtAg=
(10) step motor connector terminals- molex 33012-2002- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/33012-2002-Loose-Piece?qs=8%2Bu/V6/T1Oo1Ad3cHZ5LpA==
(2) step motor connector empty position seal plugs- molex 34345-0001- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/34345-0001?qs=6RXNyJqNVR55nh5VsmiX%2Bg==
(1) star can IHS connector- TE Connctivity 2-2138650-1 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2-2138650-1?qs=/ha2pyFadujST6z4YULS%2BBJCiH9ln5rUAcHQ5fUP85DrTD0eioaUpg==
(2) star can IHS connector terminals- TE Connectivity 5-963715-1 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/5-963715-1-Cut-Strip?qs=0lQeLiL1qybbw60VBbVFhw==
(These are only available in 100 quantities at mouser. I can mail you some in a standard letter if you want)

A note about obtaining Yazaki parts:
Yazaki parts are hard to come by in small quantities. SMD Inc is your best bet, but they require a $100 minimum order. I would call them first and see if they’ll give you “samples” of all the Yazaki parts needed. If this doesn’t work, let me know and I can put together a group buy with some other people.

Miscellaneous wire harness parts:
Excellent source for automotive wire- https://4rcustomswire.com/
Firewall boot- https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Univ...e&sr=1-1-191b1ae3-0539-4250-ad39-b698e0b800f6
Terminal crimper- https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Profes...minal+crimp+tool+dupont&qid=1590935939&sr=8-3
Tesa tape
Super 33 tape
1/4” split wire loom
1/8” heat shrink tubing

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Crazyharleyguy...
Sorry I have not been on the site for a little while. Please see below a post from Jimmy07. He had some sources and also listed the connector numbers. His sugestion of trying to ask for a sample can work.

Hope this helps.
Thank you uplander. I would assume however that if I ordered the 1500 Harness I would not need any of the items or connectors and such that were listed.

If Mopar is too lazy to put together the Kit, especially when a majority of the items have been listed for them........then I am sure AMP will be very happy to take my money.
I'll be honest.......I am not paying $4600 for the Parts. No way would I do that........so either Mopar comes up with a Kit by Spring time or I will order and install the AMP items.
I would prefer my truck to be 100% Mopar.........but common sense has to rule.

jsalbre

Reaction score
There’s near 0 chance of them coming out with a kit. If they were going to do so it would have happened by now.

If you want it at a good price you’re going to have to buy across the border.

m3rd

Reaction score
I ordered and installed the Mopar power deployable steps. I made the harness. Thanks to Jimmy07 and Johanh13 for the information that they provided in this thread. Some input to others considering doing this:

- The bolts to mount the motor and hinges to the rocker are short by 0.125"- meaning you only get 0.30" of engagement with the 0.425" length of threads in the rivet nut. So I used M8-1.25 x 35 mm stainless bolts and washers from McMaster Carr.
- The bolts mounting the hinge and motor brackets to the rocker are offset from where the load from the running board is applied, creating a torque load on the bracket. There are two holes in the hinge and motor frame directly above the load point. So I added two rivet nuts and bolts. I have a total of (4) M8 and (2) M6 bolts for each hinge. See photo below. There is a gap between the other side of the bracket and rocker, so you need to make a 0.20" thick spacer for each of the two added bolts.
- Use a rivet nut installation tool to install all of the rivet nuts.
- I mounted the control module to the left of the steering column along the side of a bracket. I used a cable tie to secure it to the bracket. This placed the module right next to the hole in the firewall. See photo below. Just below the module in the photo is metal cased module. I removed and used one of its mounting screws for the ground connection.
- The passenger side of the harness to the motor was 11 feet long, and the drivers side was 6.5 feet long. I bought three colors of 20 AWG 25 feet, two colors of 18 AWG 25 feet, and one red 14 AWG 10 feet from the website that Jimmy07 recommended. Total was $57. The connector and terminal pins order total from Mouser was $41, and the remaining supplies and crimping tool from Amazon that Jimmy07 recommended was $64. So material total was $162. It took me a bit of time to measure and get everything right.
- I recommend removing the inner splash shields. Makes it a lot easier to route and tight up the harness, and provides good access to the boot going through the firewall.
- The CAN block is directly behind the head light switch. But I was able to plug into it from underneath the dash. As others had noted, the steps worked without the need for adding it through Alfa OBD.
- I ended up splicing into the J6 22 wire at the fuse box for power instead of trying to remove the existing terminal in the connector.
- The steps are sturdy, and the deploy speed is good. The step is out before I am ready to get in or out. Not clear on what is the purpose of a 4.5 second delay before it retracts. I am very happy with the results. I just wish that I had ordered them with the truck.

1704432249689.png
1704430708122.png

Attachments

• 1704430376838.png
    1704430376838.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Got fedup waiting for Mopar to do anything in which I believe they are not going to as others have said so I ordered the AMP Kit. $2200.00 CDN to my door.

Would have been nice to give the money to Mopar but they just didn't want it!

95Ctd

Reaction score
Anyone make longer replacement steps to make them wheel to wheel steps?

fridayda13th

Reaction score
Just got factory boards on and working but have an issue with a trim piece on truck. Are the boards supposed to hit this? It's on the bed of truck I front of rear wheel. It's hitting pretty good to point you can hear it touch on close.

Did you sell those mega cab boards?? I would be interested if you still have them. I know its a long shot it was about a year ago you posted that.

crazyharleyguy

Reaction score
Quick Question for anyone with the AMP Boards.

If you open the Drivers door for example, does it activate the Passenger side Board as well? Or just the Drivers side as the OEM does?

Onerous1

Reaction score
Is there a better place to source these parts other than Mopar.com? Similar to harleyguy i am seeing the parts together are almost 3500.00 US. I’m in the states so it’s not an exchange rate issue. Maybe some of you have a suggestion. This thread is inspiring to take on this project but the buck stops here if I can’t find a better price point.

Users who are viewing this thread