Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding the OEM hidden tailgate strut to any trim.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This looks like a great mod., but I don’t have the right fob and really just want the tailgate to open slowly and not fall. Does this strut work like the Deezee version?
Nothing else is required. It just lowers your tailgate smoothly. Much better than the deezee version because the mounting balls are already there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This looks like a great mod., but I don’t have the right fob and really just want the tailgate to open slowly and not fall. Does this strut work like the Deezee version?
Yup same idea but if no need to remove if you take the tailgate off it stays on the truck

GARY10825

Reaction score
Has anyone installed this on a 2020 RAM 3500. When I look up the part number it says it wont fit. Thanks!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Has anyone installed this on a 2020 RAM 3500. When I look up the part number it says it wont fit. Thanks!
I don’t mean to be that guy ... but take a peek and see if the little knobs are there. If they are, it’ll work. you’re looking for the ball portion of a ball-and-socket joint.

The pic I posted above is not hidden behind any panel, it’s just looking into the cavity below the passenger side taillight. The other knob is behind the passenger taillight. Torx 25 and pull straight back on the light.

GARY10825

Reaction score
Thanks! I have already looked and the knobs are there. When I look the part number up on Mopar's website they don't have the 2020 or 2021 RAM 3500 listed as being compatible. They show a 2019 RAM 3500. Just wanting to verify before I purchase.

b307a1

Reaction score
Thanks! I have already looked and the knobs are there. When I look the part number up on Mopar's website they don't have the 2020 or 2021 RAM 3500 listed as being compatible. They show a 2019 RAM 3500. Just wanting to verify before I purchase.
Yep, it fits....I put one on mine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t mean to be that guy ... but take a peek and see if the little knobs are there. If they are, it’ll work. you’re looking for the ball portion of a ball-and-socket joint.

The pic I posted above is not hidden behind any panel, it’s just looking into the cavity below the passenger side taillight. The other knob is behind the passenger taillight. Torx 25 and pull straight back on the light.
Just fyi all of the 19+ hd rams have the balls.... and also the mounting points for the tailgate lowering strut lol

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
That connector is for the power sliding rear window switch. It can’t be used for tailgate release. You would need the whole overhead console with the tailgate release button for that.
Wait, wat? Sorry for replying to an old comment you made ... BUT ... Wiring there for power sliding rear window ? :D My sold window needs replacement ....

Send2joey

Reaction score
Just installed, about the easiest thing you could do. As others have said, took me longer to open the package the strut came in. Was a little worried about the taillight removal - pulling hard enough and in the right direction. Now to work on the FOB to open remotely.

RednBlack

Reaction score
I heard you can install the strut from under the truck without removing the taillight... has anyone tried it?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I heard you can install the strut from under the truck without removing the taillight... has anyone tried it?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
The bottom stud yes but you would need some itty bitty hands to get the top one from underneath

Christofo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the tailgate strut (68362518AA)?

I have tried to ordered it from multiple sources and have been told its backordered with no ETA.

Anyone know of an alternative?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the tailgate strut (68362518AA)?

I have tried to ordered it from multiple sources and have been told its backordered with no ETA.

Anyone know of an alternative?
The alternative “dee zee” tailgate strut kit thing is total ass.

Wait for the real part in this thread to become available

Users who are viewing this thread