Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: Bed step recalls are as follows:
  • W24 - Sold Vehicles
  • W26 - Equipment Recall for Sold Vehicles who had it added afterwards
  • W44 - Unsold Vehicles

Just saw this on Mopar's site for my VIN.

Recall Date: April 09, 2020
FCA Recall # W24
NHTSA Recall #20V-207

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
If a sufficient side-load is applied to the bed step, its mounting bracket may fracture and cause the bed step to suddenly and unexpectedly fail while in use. A bed step that suddenly and unexpectedly fails while in use can increase the risk of an injury to the user.

Repair Description
Replace the bed step support brace on all sold vehicles.

Recall Status
Incomplete but repair parts are not available

Get Notified When Parts are Available

UPDATE:

Recall letters sent out to most. The current recall fix for those still in possession of their bed step is to replace the support bracket and bolts.

Campaign kit part number CSELW242AB (could differ for your VIN).

1607067031246.png

Last edited:

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Just saw this on Mopar's site for my VIN.

Repair Description
Replace the bed step support brace on all sold vehicles.

Yep....just checked mine on the Mopar Owner's site and had TWO (2) recalls.....one for the Bed Step and one for the Backup Camera Linger Time.

I wonder how long it wil take them to get new brackets for the Bed Step? Looks like they already have the software fix for the Backup Cam but I'll probably just wait at least until my fires oil change in a few months.

Last edited:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
With all the recalls, does not bode well for so called quality assurance. These things are supposed to be tested. Of course, I am used to the glory days of Maytag, when every unit was tested prior to delivery. And the lab testing was brutal.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Yep....just checked mine on eht Mopar Owner's site and had TWO (2) recalls.....one for the Bed Step and one for the Backup Camera Linger Time.

I wonder how long it wil take them to get new brackets for the Bed Step? Looks like they already have the software fix for the Backup Cam but I'll probably just wait at least until my fires oil change in a few months.
Neither recall is showing up under my VIN. I elected to not have my shipment delayed so I opted out of the bed step from the Bed Utility Group option I ordered. However, I do have the backup cam so I'm curious why that didn't show up.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
At the time I re-ordered my truck the bed step wasn't available as an option so, My dealer and I optioned to install it in their shop when my vehicle arrived. Will my vehicle is in now and the dealer ordered me one through the parts department and they just installed it on my truck this morning.

I wonder if this bed step is defective too, and wondering if it will be listed under the recall as well ? ? ? :confused:

lovegolf44

Reaction score
At the time I re-ordered my truck the bed step wasn't available as an option so, My dealer and I optioned to install it in their shop when my vehicle arrived. Will my vehicle is in now and the dealer ordered me one through the parts department and they just installed it on my truck this morning.

I wonder if this bed step is defective too, and wondering if it will be listed under the recall as well ? ? ? :confused:
I'm surprised the dealerships are able to get the parts, I thought that was the reason why they weren't installing them in the factory. Then again, as someone pointed out already maybe it was the recall.

litzdog911

Reaction score
My new truck is still awaiting delivery while stuck at my local dealer. They're closed during our "stay at home" order in Washington. I checked and my truck also shows both the backup camera and bed step recalls as "pending". I'll be sure that they perform those recalls before I eventually get my truck.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I'm surprised the dealerships are able to get the parts, I thought that was the reason why they weren't installing them in the factory. Then again, as someone pointed out already maybe it was the recall.

They found one at another dealer on the shelf and had it overnighted. I'm mainly worried now if I will have trouble getting this one replaced on the recall with it not being listed as a factory installed item.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
They found one at another dealer on the shelf and had it overnighted. I'm mainly worried now if I will have trouble getting this one replaced on the recall with it not being listed as a factory installed item.
That's certainly possible but let's hope not. I'm going to ask my dealership about the bed step this weekend when I pick up my truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Installed by dealer, should not matter. The dealer should add that option to your VIN. However, you may have to bring in the recall letter when the parts become available.

jerryw1000

Reaction score

My experience is that Dealer Installed Options sometimes never show up on the Mopar equipment list so you will probably have to hammer on this with the dealer or Mopar. I had the dealer install a the factory tow hitch on my Jeep Grand Cherokee when I bought it and it never has shown up on the Mopar Owner's site under Dealer Installed. I don't know what process has to happen for it to show up but I know they had to flash the BCM to make the tow package wiring harness work so that alone does not make it visible to Mopar.

CurtJ

Reaction score
This is crazy.......right? You would think they would have added the cab mounts to the recall list too as many of us there are that have that problem.......:-/ I’m sure it will show up next.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Interesting .... On my Mopar page this recall is labeled "W44", not "W24". But the link for the FCA Recall leads to a "page not found" error.

Users who are viewing this thread