Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Received my letter from FCA for the Bed Step Kit recall. Took the truck into the dealer this morning and ran into a problem. The dealer ran the VIN and said there were no recalls on the truck. I showed the letter and explained that I had bought the kit online from another dealer and installed the step kit myself. The service guy said there was nothing they could do since there were no recalls showing for my truck. I showed them how the letter was addressed to me from FCA. Affter some back and forth, the service manager got involved. Apparently no one at the dealer had ever dealt with this situation before. The manager called the 800 number on the letter and after a few minutes talking to whomever, said that the phone call was not helpful. The manager said they don't know how to submit this to get paid by FCA for doing the recall since the part is not married to my VIN. They now have a call in to the regional district. In the meantime they said the part needs to be ordered. They will call me back and let me know whats going on. This dealer has always been good to me. Never had a problem with service before.

Anyone else ever had a similar situation? Any ideas?
I have the My Ram app on my phone and there was a notice about a recall on my truck. Opened the app and it showed there is 1 Recall Notice. Under Campaign there is 2019-2020 D TRUCK MOPAR BED STEPP (W44U... INCOMPLETE Once you click on it the next page shows the FCA Recall #, Campaign Date, Description, Status, notice that parts are available and to contact a dealer to schedule the work. You can also go on the ramtrucks.com site and get access via the Owners section.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone that's interested in timing for availability it sounds like after April 2021. The updated step is listed on the Mopar website now. I ordered one right after buying my truck and shortly after received an email stating they were still working on developing and aprroving it. They asked me to call and discuss options with the local dealer it was suppposed to ship to. My optins were keep the order and get it later when it becomes available ( all they could tell me was at least April) or cancel the order, which is what I chose to do.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone that's interested in timing for availability it sounds like after April 2021. The updated step is listed on the Mopar website now. I ordered one right after buying my truck and shortly after received an email stating they were still working on developing and aprroving it. They asked me to call and discuss options with the local dealer it was suppposed to ship to. My optins were keep the order and get it later when it becomes available ( all they could tell me was at least April) or cancel the order, which is what I chose to do.
Working on developing and approving it? Interesting. The bed step fix for the recall has been out for a while. I installed one.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I thought it was strange also because I'd heard others say they had replaced theirs. Who knows, maybe there's a production issue and they used an old message. Below is what I was sent

Your order's status has been updated to "Pending Approval". Please contact us in order to verify this order.
Below Comment has been added in your order
Good day. I'm contacting you today in regards to your Mopar order you placed online with us. The "Bed Step" (part# 82215842AH) is currently delayed for development from Mopar/FCA with a current ETA of sometime after April 4th That delayed is subject to change at anytime to being made available sooner or increase the delay without any notice. With that said, We can either continue with the order and set them aside for your pick-up once we have received them at our facility or we can cancel the order if you'd prefer. Your order will be placed on hold until we get a response from you on how you would like to move forward. Best regards, I-5 Chrysler JEEP Dodge RAM Fiat

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I thought it was strange also because I'd heard others say they had replaced theirs. Who knows, maybe there's a production issue and they used an old message. Below is what I was sent

Your order's status has been updated to "Pending Approval". Please contact us in order to verify this order.
Below Comment has been added in your order
Good day. I'm contacting you today in regards to your Mopar order you placed online with us. The "Bed Step" (part# 82215842AH) is currently delayed for development from Mopar/FCA with a current ETA of sometime after April 4th That delayed is subject to change at anytime to being made available sooner or increase the delay without any notice. With that said, We can either continue with the order and set them aside for your pick-up once we have received them at our facility or we can cancel the order if you'd prefer. Your order will be placed on hold until we get a response from you on how you would like to move forward. Best regards, I-5 Chrysler JEEP Dodge RAM Fiat
I had mine done but hard for dealers to get them

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Missed ordering my truck with the step, thanks to the salesman who lost my order so I had to tell him all the options I wanted over the phone while I was driving to the dealer to place an order. Of course missed a few options: a bed step and all weather mats. Got a AMP step shortly after picking up my truck, no regrets.

EastCoaster

Reaction score
Does anybody know exactly what part number bed steps were recalled?

Asking because I ordered a 82215842AG bed Step from a online Mopar Parts site.
They sent me a part number 82215842AE. I think maybe the AE has the brace that
was in the recall. I don't want to open the box if possible so I can return it.

Highcountry

Reaction score
Part # 82215842AH is supposed to be the most recent version from what I was told. I ordered it from the Mopar online store and then rteeceived an email that they weren't ready yet.

Rich2135

Reaction score
Neither recall is showing up under my VIN. I elected to not have my shipment delayed so I opted out of the bed step from the Bed Utility Group option I ordered. However, I do have the backup cam so I'm curious why that didn't show up.
When I purchased my 2020 Ram Laramie last April the truck had the step installed and a recall was already issued but due to Covid they had no mechanics available to remove it prior to sale. Once I took delivery they wanted me to make an appointment to remove the step. I refused as I like the step and it appeared to be very stout not sure what idiot broke his and caused this recall, LOL. Anyway once Chrysler got the fix I was told that they would simply replace the mount and the new step would look and operate just like the original so I agreed to take it in and woolaa all done looks and work great, I'm getting up in years and tis sure helps when I need to access the bed!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have the 82215842AG. It has the correct side brace. You can see it in the bottom image of this pic. From everything I have seen online, it looks the part number ending in AE has the older brace. It could be the seller never updated their photos from the older parts though. Edit- I notice the part number for the bottom pic doesn't show up in dark mode.

Ram Best step brace recall.png

LousRam

Reaction score
I just got one for Electronic Stability Control (Z20/NHTSA22V-140) for my 2022 2500

jetrinka

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with getting the updated bracket for a step they installed themselves? I’ve installed the step and it definitely has the old style bracket. I’ll have to call the dealer

Users who are viewing this thread