Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Interesting .... On my Mopar page this recall is labeled "W44", not "W24". But the link for the FCA Recall leads to a "page not found" error.

Hi! So there are actually 3 recalls for the bed step:
W44 - Unsold Vehicles
W24 - Sold Vehicles
W26 - Equipment Recall for Sold Vehicles who had it added afterwards

The page comes up with an error because there isn't an owner letter updated yet. W44 will be completed prior to you picking it up.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

litzdog911

Reaction score
Hi! So there are actually 3 recalls for the bed step:
W44 - Unsold Vehicles
W24 - Sold Vehicles
W26 - Equipment Recall for Sold Vehicles who had it added afterwards

The page comes up with an error because there isn't an owner letter updated yet. W44 will be completed prior to you picking it up.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Thanks Kaitlin. That makes sense. Now is there anything you can do to reopen my local dealer so I can finally pick up the truck we ordered back in November? Just kidding!

@JC

Reaction score
Great info from RamCares again. You guys do a great job.

TDRamOH

Reaction score
What happens if you purchased the OEM step sometime after taking delivery and installed it yourself? I ordered mine from moparpartsinc.com. I wonder if there will be any communications for those of us that didn't go through the dealer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt I will get a letter. I bought my step from the dealer and installed it myself too.

When the fix is published, just take the W26 letter to the dealer.

Parts is parts, doesn't matter who installed it unless they can prove it was improperly done and affects the safety recall issue. These are simple bolt on parts.

Disclaimer: IANAL

Reactions: AFF

JinwA

Reaction score
I had heard of these step failures before. I am trying to be PC, not intending to insult anyone, just trying to understand and find a solution.
The failures occurred to people I know who weigh much more than I do. That’s why I ordered it anyway. It has a 350lb limit which probably was exceeded in the failures I mentioned above. The step was probably designed to be loaded directly from rear. A lot of side pressure can be applied if you grab the bed and step up from the side. I got on the notification list and will see what the fix ends up being.
I absolutely love this step. I think it is one of the best accessibility options out there.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I had heard of these step failures before. I am trying to be PC, not intending to insult anyone, just trying to understand and find a solution.
The failures occurred to people I know who weigh much more than I do. That’s why I ordered it anyway. It has a 350lb limit which probably was exceeded in the failures I mentioned above. The step was probably designed to be loaded directly from rear. A lot of side pressure can be applied if you grab the bed and step up from the side. I got on the notification list and will see what the fix ends up being.
I absolutely love this step. I think it is one of the best accessibility options out there.

I use mine primarily with the tailgate down, so that's certainly from the side or an angle. I often use it for egress as well instead of jumping off the tailgate. Feet and knees are not what they used to be after football/hockey as a youth, a stint in the Army, and old age/osteoarthritis in my knees. I'm pushing 250 these days...

As soon as my truck gets done being molested by the dealer and the bed/cab is aligned, I'll be finishing the install of the AMP side step and my crossover box too.

P.S. lest anyone get the wrong idea and not know all the internets lingo IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer. LOL

JinwA

Reaction score
Believe me I did months of research before ordering the truck. I checked with a number of logging companies I know who use RAM trucks for reliability and product failures. Hence the step failure feedback. I too am not as flexible as I used to be. Depending on the type of fix I will decide what to do. Cantilever type mount was not that great of option.

b307a1

Reaction score
On the Mopar Dashboard , it states W44.
Under "repair description" it says Remove the bed step from all unsold vehicles.
Under Recall Status it says "Incomplete but repair parts ARE available".

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I use mine primarily with the tailgate down, so that's certainly from the side or an angle. I often use it for egress as well instead of jumping off the tailgate. Feet and knees are not what they used to be after football/hockey as a youth, a stint in the Army,
Tell me about it. Army here too.

Hawk375

Reaction score
On the Mopar Dashboard , it states W44.
Under "repair description" it says Remove the bed step from all unsold vehicles.
Under Recall Status it says "Incomplete but repair parts ARE available".
I don't think this means that actual parts are available, but that the remedy for this particular W44 recall is available. Which is to remove the bed step from unsold vehicles. Looks like they just hadn't gotten around to taking it off yet and reporting it as completed.

b307a1

Reaction score
I don't think this means that actual parts are available, but that the remedy for this particular W44 recall is available. Which is to remove the bed step from unsold vehicles. Looks like they just hadn't gotten around to taking it off yet and reporting it as completed.
You are probably right. I will find out tomorrow when I bring it in.

b307a1

Reaction score
I figured that I should get under there and eyeball things. Does anyone else have this bed step brace?20200421_142950.jpg20200421_142922.jpg

JinwA

Reaction score
Yes, that is the one. Missing is the exact point of failure FCA is concerned about. I was not told what broke just that it did. I have inspected for cracks. The one 1/8” support bracket for deformation and found nothing wrong. I suspect they will change the support bracket into a triangular shape picking up both frame bolts instead of just the bottom one.

Last edited:

Cummins3

Reaction score
Mine has a narrow brace as well... Brutal is there a tsb for the cab bed alignment??

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has a narrow brace as well... Brutal is there a tsb for the cab bed alignment??

No TSB that I'm aware of but dealer fixed it today.

My only concern is they moved both cab and bed and noted "At MAX position."

Oh, someone also damaged my truck while in their possession. Thankfully, it's just the fender flare. Haven't heard if they found something on security footage yet.

Users who are viewing this thread