Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

news4us

Reaction score
Hey Ram Cares: been waiting 7 months for bed step that should have been installed during build in March. They called me and told me that the truck would be shipped without the step. It should not take this long to redesign the step for the class 5 hitch clearance. How much longer do we have to wait for them?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is what I have I think. I wasn’t sure if it was dealer installed or factory.
That's definitely an AMP step. What part of it buckled/broke?

Here's the link to the install sheet. Make sure they put everything on correctly. Sounds like a janky install.

P.S. I see they have a dually step now that's in the right place for a long bed. I also see they are doing exactly what I was looking at doing to locate and brace it on my 8' SRW being it's useless where it is now with a crossover toolbox in place. Add a couple Rivnuts and a brace to the spring hanger.

Last edited:

Brett196.7

Reaction score
That's definitely an AMP step. What part of it buckled/broke?

Here's the link to the install sheet. Make sure they put everything on correctly. Sounds like a janky install.

P.S. I see they have a dually step now that's in the right place for a long bed. I also see they are doing exactly what I was looking at doing to locate and brace it on my 8' SRW being it's useless where it is now with a crossover toolbox in place. Add a couple Rivnuts and a brace to the spring hanger.
Yeah I’ll check that out. I really appreciate you posting the link. That was awesome. I did crawl up under my truck to look at it but it’s getting late now so I didn’t spend much time underneath. It seems like it just kinda buckled/bent/distorted at the bottom on the actual step. It’s hard to explain because my description tells you almost nothing but I’ll look at it in more detail maybe tomorrow. Thanks again for the awesome info. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Hey Ram Cares: been waiting 7 months for bed step that should have been installed during build in March. They called me and told me that the truck would be shipped without the step. It should not take this long to redesign the step for the class 5 hitch clearance. How much longer do we have to wait for them?

There is a thread over here to keep them all in one place...

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

The owner letters for the recalls are mailing tomorrow so you should be getting the voucher in your email soon.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

lovegolf44

Reaction score
When someone receives one of these letters, please let us know.

news4us

Reaction score
It's been a week since the voucher's were to be mailed. Anyone receive on yet? Or is Ram cares blowing smoke at us.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
It's been a week since the voucher's were to be mailed. Anyone receive on yet? Or is Ram cares blowing smoke at us.
I haven’t. I doubt FCA is sending this priority. Most of their stuff goes media mail and that can literally take 4 weeks. That said I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

OA

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I haven’t. I doubt FCA is sending this priority. Most of their stuff goes media mail and that can literally take 4 weeks. That said I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

Ram cares said we're supposed get a voucher via email. Not holding my breath either

AndyS

Reaction score
Received my letter from FCA for the Bed Step Kit recall. Took the truck into the dealer this morning and ran into a problem. The dealer ran the VIN and said there were no recalls on the truck. I showed the letter and explained that I had bought the kit online from another dealer and installed the step kit myself. The service guy said there was nothing they could do since there were no recalls showing for my truck. I showed them how the letter was addressed to me from FCA. Affter some back and forth, the service manager got involved. Apparently no one at the dealer had ever dealt with this situation before. The manager called the 800 number on the letter and after a few minutes talking to whomever, said that the phone call was not helpful. The manager said they don't know how to submit this to get paid by FCA for doing the recall since the part is not married to my VIN. They now have a call in to the regional district. In the meantime they said the part needs to be ordered. They will call me back and let me know whats going on. This dealer has always been good to me. Never had a problem with service before.

Anyone else ever had a similar situation? Any ideas?

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Received my letter from FCA for the Bed Step Kit recall. Took the truck into the dealer this morning and ran into a problem. The dealer ran the VIN and said there were no recalls on the truck. I showed the letter and explained that I had bought the kit online from another dealer and installed the step kit myself. The service guy said there was nothing they could do since there were no recalls showing for my truck. I showed them how the letter was addressed to me from FCA. Affter some back and forth, the service manager got involved. Apparently no one at the dealer had ever dealt with this situation before. The manager called the 800 number on the letter and after a few minutes talking to whomever, said that the phone call was not helpful. The manager said they don't know how to submit this to get paid by FCA for doing the recall since the part is not married to my VIN. They now have a call in to the regional district. In the meantime they said the part needs to be ordered. They will call me back and let me know whats going on. This dealer has always been good to me. Never had a problem with service before.

What a mess. I haven't received my letter yet.

Omar RVA

Reaction score

When did you buy the step? This sounds like an absolute nightmare since no one who ordered with the step in the spring will have one associated with their VIN.

OA

BillnLA

Reaction score
AndyS

I bought my step online from a MOPAR dealer over a year ago. I received my recall letter about 3-4 weeks ago and if I remember right it stated if the step was purchased or not on truck originally, the remedy was to exchange the bracket only. No labor to swap it out. And you had to bring in the old bracket for exchange. But when I went out to my local dealership, they ordered the part and it arrived the next day. Took the truck in same day and they changed it out in about 20 minutes. So don't know how every dealership will work but mine did it for me. By the way, I did not buy my truck from this dealership, but they have been extremely good for service on both my and the wife's trucks.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Sounds like you got the recall letter for the equipment recall, which is not VIN specific. Can you send me your VIN and dealer info so we can get this repaired for you?

When did you buy the step? This sounds like an absolute nightmare since no one who ordered with the step in the spring will have one associated with their VIN.

OA
This isn't the same situation as the writer above.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Cummins3

Reaction score
I haven't gotten my letter and I bought mine from dealer and installed myself

AndyS

Reaction score
Sounds like you got the recall letter for the equipment recall, which is not VIN specific. Can you send me your VIN and dealer info so we can get this repaired for you?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Message sent. Thank you Kaitlin!!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I haven't gotten my letter and I bought mine from dealer and installed myself
Do you have the receipt? You can send it to us in a PM and add your VIN and dealer I can work this out.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread